Matthew Stafford Reportedly On The Trade Block​

Funny how this stuff goes.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Mahomes went 13-19 as a college starter.

Allen had a 56% completion percentage in college. 52% as a NFL rookie.

Bet on the traits.

Direct quote from Chris Ballard during last year’s meeting with his scouts leading up to the draft:

“…I want to make sure we’re getting the best guys with traits. Let’s bet on the traits. Bet on high-end, high-end traits.”

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The best that the Colts can do is take the 3rd QB.

If they had two names above the rest, that could be a problem.
    None of these 4 QBs is clearly ahead of, or behind, the others. There's not a Peyton Manning, sure-fire #1 overall pick, week-one starter, franchise QB among them.

Fans getting upset that Ballard wasn't willing to pull the trigger on the deal Carolina just made with Chicago are way off-base, IMHO. None of those 4 QBs warrants giving up 2 #1s, 2 #2s, and the team's best WR.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    None of these 4 QBs is clearly ahead of, or behind, the others. There's not a Peyton Manning, sure-fire #1 overall pick, week-one starter, franchise QB among them.

Fans getting upset that Ballard wasn't willing to pull the trigger on the deal Carolina just made with Chicago are way off-base, IMHO. None of those 4 QBs warrants giving up 2 #1s, 2 #2s, and the team's best WR.

I agree that that package was too pricy to move up. You just can’t keep kicking the can down the road.

Every single year it’s the same message from Ballard. “We had x player graded here and he wasn’t there and I’m not going to take a guy just to take a guy...”

So then what? Another throw away season with Mariota or whoever? And then the same story again next offseason? They’ll have a top ten pick again but it’ll be too expensive to move up to 1 to get Caleb Williams or whoever.

Also interesting that everybody thinks this is a down year for qb’s when none of them have ever taken an NFL snap. They could all be hall of famers 30 years from now. Nobody has a clue what these guy will be at the next level. Even the sure-fire, can’t-miss #1’s don’t always pan out.

Study the film, find your guy, and get him. Maybe he’s a bust. So freakin what. You keep swinging.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Saw this on a Bears site, not sure if true but it does indicate their sad passing game history.
    If you put DJ Moore’s career receiving yards on the Bears he’d be be the franchise leader by 140 yards. And he turns 26 next month.
    They also claimed that the Bears wanted Indianapolis to include Pittman in any deal. But they are Bears fans, who are only slightly less annoying than Cubs fans.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Not quite a “Hershel Walker” type deal but the Bears came out great on that exchange. And panthers, not so much.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And panthers, not so much.

I suspect it’s a big “if” to be betting all those future picks.

This presupposes that the use of the picks the panthers traded to get the number one would have knocked it out of the park for them, ignoring the risk that naturally exists with all picks, and that is just not the case.

There also is the risk reward element that varies from pick to pick, position to position. The average NFL pick lasts just three years, in contrast a franchise QB (that does not quit) can last 10-20 years. Trading 2 first round picks, a second, all with inheriant risk, and a player with a big cap number, for the first pick with similar risk but many times the payout if it hits a winner.

Check out the average NFL career span of players by position below.
    • Kickers/Punters — 4.87
    • Quarterbacks — 4.44
    • Offensive Linemen — 3.63
    • Defensive Linemen — 3.24
    • Linebackers — 2.97
    • Cornerbacks — 2.94
    • Tight Ends — 2.85
    • Wide Receivers — 2.81
    • Running Backs — 2.57
    • League average — 3.3

The fans see a handful of exceptional players play well for a long time but those are the hall of fame exceptions, not the norm.

The bottom line is all picks are a gamble but the payoff of a franchise QB is worth way more than a couple of mundane picks…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Want to see how the owners snookered the NFLPA? The players average 3.3 years playing, league has a rookie salary cap that requires drafted rookies to sign under that rookie salary cap for about 4 years, all approved by the players union. The average player will never get a contract after their rookie deal.

The players approved it partially because teams were handing unproven rookie players mega bucks and the rank and file believed they would get more money if they went along with this plan. However, most of the money is going to a few top stars.

The current rate of pay for a franchise QB is getting near half the cap not that long ago...

Check out the average NFL career span of players by position below.

• Kickers/Punters — 4.87
    • Quarterbacks — 4.44
    • Offensive Linemen — 3.63
    • Defensive Linemen — 3.24
    • Linebackers — 2.97
    • Cornerbacks — 2.94
    • Tight Ends — 2.85
    • Wide Receivers — 2.81
    • Running Backs — 2.57
    • League average — 3.3

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Counterpoint: If they get a franchise QB, no one will remember or care.
    Considering that there is a complete lack of consensus regarding which of the four potential QBs Carolina actually intends to pick (i.e. that there is no consensus standout among them), I'd say that's a really, really big "if".

And if they are so close together that any one of the four of them could be picked, then I say that's all the more reason for the Colts to stay put rather than sell the farm to move up.

One of the four will be there for the Colts at the 4 pick.

And if the Colts were even moderately considering a move like Carolina made, then maybe they should put serious consideration into Lamar Jackson. It will cost them far less, for a proven player.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Considering that there is a complete lack of consensus regarding which of the four potential QBs Carolina actually intends to pick (i.e. that there is no consensus standout among them), I'd say that's a really, really big "if".

And if they are so close together that any one of the four of them could be picked, then I say that's all the more reason for the Colts to stay put rather than sell the farm to move up.

And if the Colts were even moderately considering a move like Carolina made, then maybe they should put serious consideration into Lamar Jackson. It will cost them far less, for a proven player.
    When the worse you can do is Will Levis that's not too bad. All have potential to pass or fail. Take you pick and work it out for f**ks sake.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Totally agree.

My point is that it’s always a big if. Always. Even the “can’t miss” prospects are an if. Luck was as “can’t miss” as they come and did he really work out? Whether you give up multiple picks or only one. I just want Ballard to take a swing at QB in the draft. Anything. So far in his tenure here he has not (no, Eason and Ehlinger don’t count).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It’s a good point that the four prospects have no obvious winner. We just got done talking about how uncertain a QB draft pick is, and then people start justifying why the colts should have paid a higher price to trade up. For what? To make the first guess?

I’m glad the Colts didn’t trade away a bunch of high picks over the next few seasons. They’re gonna get one of the four regardless.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    It’s a good point that the four prospects have no obvious winner. We just got done talking about how uncertain a QB draft pick is, and then people start justifying why the colts should have paid a higher price to trade up. For what? To make the first guess?

I’m glad the Colts didn’t trade away a bunch of high picks over the next few seasons. They’re gonna get one of the four regardless.
    If our pick stands over 5'11" I'm happy :cool:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom