May 26, 2018
    North Central

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Do you have a personal pick? Mine is any of them over six feet.

I have Richardson and Stroud 1A and 1B.

Richardson is an alien.

With guys like Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, etc. all in the same conference, I don’t think even a high level “game manager” type QB is enough. You need an alien. We’ve all seen Mahomes and Allen make plays that are just unbelievable. We’re gonna have to deal with those guys for another decade. I want the athletic freak.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have Richardson and Stroud 1A and 1B.

Richardson is an alien.

With guys like Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, etc. all in the same conference, I don’t think even a high level “game manager” type QB is enough. You need an alien. We’ve all seen Mahomes and Allen make plays that are just unbelievable. We’re gonna have to deal with those guys for another decade. I want the athletic freak.
    I believe high probability Richardson will flop. I know Saban has a horse in the race but this assessment matches what was on the field.

“We’ve all seen the 6-4, 225-pound guy that can throw it like a bazooka, but he can’t make the choices and decisions; he can’t distribute the ball; he can’t throw it accurately,” Saban said on Stephen A. Smith’s Know Mercy podcast, via Mike Rodak of al.com. “So who’s the better bet? I’m going on history, production, performance, and Bryce Young’s done it about as well as anybody.”

Would Manning be that freak type that Ballard likes? I doubt it…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I believe high probability Richardson will flop. I know Saban has a horse in the race but this assessment matches what was on the field.

“We’ve all seen the 6-4, 225-pound guy that can throw it like a bazooka, but he can’t make the choices and decisions; he can’t distribute the ball; he can’t throw it accurately,” Saban said on Stephen A. Smith’s Know Mercy podcast, via Mike Rodak of al.com. “So who’s the better bet? I’m going on history, production, performance, and Bryce Young’s done it about as well as anybody.”

I don't think "freak" alone is workable. Mahomes is the full deal. Freakish athletic ability mixed with field general command of the game. I think the latter component is more important. Manning was successful despite his waffle ball he through up at the most inconvenient times.

Maybe Bryce Young can be a field general type QB. I still think his size is a problem long term.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

The flop possibilities are there for all of them. So I don’t really take that into consideration.

As far as Saban is concerned, here’s the list of all the past Alabama QB’s under Saban:

Bryce Young (TBD)
    Tua Tagovailoa (meh)
    Jalen Hurts (potential star, we’ll see if it was a 1 year highlight)
    Jake Coker (dud)
    Cooper Bateman (dud)
    Blake Sims (dud)
    AJ McCarrron (dud)
    Greg McElroy (dud)
    John Parker Wilson (dud)

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for ol’ Nick. Most of those guys nobody’s ever even heard of.

Like we’ve talked about before, it’s probably more likely that all of them flop. If it were my money, I’d bet on the alien.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't think "freak" alone is workable. Mahomes is the full deal. Freakish athletic ability mixed with field general command of the game. I think the latter component is more important. Manning was successful despite his waffle ball he through up at the most inconvenient times.

Maybe Bryce Young can be a field general type QB. I still think his size is a problem long term.
    I think the QB debate breaks down to two points. If one is considered a QB there are certain traits that are expected but the two big intangibles are leadership and ability to read defenses. I do not think that Richardson can read defense that well. At this level that is an ability one can hone, but not a learn on the job kinda thing,

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Mahomes went 13-19 as a college starter.

Allen had a 56% completion percentage in college. 52% as a NFL rookie.

Bet on the traits.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I think the QB debate breaks down to two points. If one is considered a QB there are certain traits that are expected but the two big intangibles are leadership and ability to read defenses. I do not think that Richardson can read defense that well. At this level that is an ability one can hone, but not a learn on the job kinda thing,

To this point, during Richardson’s rookie year, use his size and speed for most of the offense while he learns to read defenses. Lots of QB design runs and “college” style offense. This is exactly what Steichen talked about during in his press conference. Play to the strengths of what he did in college, lean on his athleticism, and as he grows, the offense grows with him. That’s exactly what he did with Hurts in Philly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Reading defenses quickly, working through progressions seems to be what the good long-term qb's excel at. Being able to scramble, throw on the run in addition to reading a defense makes a qb virtually unstoppable, see Mahomes. I've never followed college FB. Back when the decision was between Leaf and Manning, I took a look. One looked and sounded like a stud athlete. The other looked and sounded like, well, a guy with a nickname of Corky. Naturally I chose the athlete. Who wouldn't? I'm glad we drafted Corky.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mahomes went 13-19 as a college starter.

Allen had a 56% completion percentage in college. 52% as a NFL rookie.

Bet on the traits.

I think in college the athleticism has a bigger impact than it does in the NFL. Not that it has no impact. Look at RGIII. In his rookie year he had the alien level athleticism you're talking about. He was unstoppable. I don't think he had the full QB package for long term success. After his injury he was never successful again.

But, another dynamic going on at the time that RGIII excelled at was read option. Remember when the NFL couldn't stop it? They couldn't stop him either. And then they figured it out. He couldn't rely on his athleticism to make it as a QB after his injury healed. He lost a step, and defenses figured out his bread and butter.

The point is that athleticism adds another important dimension that makes a great QB unstoppable. But they're only going to be at that level for a few years. A couple of the greatest QB's ever to play had pretty much zero athleticism. Payton Manning and Tom Brady. At 26 Mahomes is arguably less athletic than in his college days and he just won a championship. I think that has more to do with cerebral development along with his athleticism, than simply athleticism.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I think in college the athleticism has a bigger impact than it does in the NFL. Not that it has no impact. Look at RGIII. In his rookie year he had the alien level athleticism you're talking about. He was unstoppable. I don't think he had the full QB package for long term success. After his injury he was never successful again.

But, another dynamic going on at the time that RGIII excelled at was read option. Remember when the NFL couldn't stop it? They couldn't stop him either. And then they figured it out. He couldn't rely on his athleticism to make it as a QB after his injury healed. He lost a step, and defenses figured out his bread and butter.

The point is that athleticism adds another important dimension that makes a great QB unstoppable. But they're only going to be at that level for a few years. A couple of the greatest QB's ever to play had pretty much zero athleticism. Payton Manning and Tom Brady. At 26 Mahomes is arguably less athletic than in his college days and he just won a championship. I think that has more to do with cerebral development along with his athleticism, than simply athleticism.

I don’t disagree with any of that.

The thing with athleticism is, it puts stress on the defense. It makes them hesitate. They HAVE to account for that or get burned.

Case in point - the Eagles ran a ton of “empty” sets last year. Four receivers all with vertical routes. As a defense, if you play back in a soft zone or man coverage with help over the top, then no one is left to handle the qb and he can easily scramble for five or six yards every time. If you play it tight, then the qb can pick a matchup he likes and let his receivers make plays. With the Manning/Brady/River’s of the world, there is essentially zero threat of the QB doing anything. Defenses can sit back in deep zones or double teams and just wait for him to make a mistake.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    To this point, during Richardson’s rookie year, use his size and speed for most of the offense while he learns to read defenses. Lots of QB design runs and “college” style offense. This is exactly what Steichen talked about during in his press conference. Play to the strengths of what he did in college, lean on his athleticism, and as he grows, the offense grows with him. That’s exactly what he did with Hurts in Philly.
    Hurts has more "football smarts" and experience than AR15, by a long shot. I'm just not seeing it with Richardson, but then he only had one full season of starts I believe.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hurts has more "football smarts" and experience than AR15, by a long shot. I'm just not seeing it with Richardson, but then he only had one full season of starts I believe.
    I think Richardson is one-dimensional. And in a few years when his body can't make the plays he's making now, he'll be done because he doesn't have the other important part of the game. That's what happened to RGIII. When he lost a step after his injury there wasn't any other depth to his game that he could rely on to keep his job. A guy like Hurts doesn't have to put his body through that. So he'll last longer. And when he can't rely on athelticism, he's got the other parts of his game that he does well.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We discussed those compensatory picks a while back and they were announced today.

The Colts have not had players nor coaches the rest of the league seems to want to poach so the Colts get 0.

All 37 picks are listed below:

Third Round

96. Arizona

97. Washington

98. Cleveland

99. San Francisco

100. Kansas City

101. San Francisco

102. San Francisco

Fourth Round

135. New England

Fifth Round