• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, I have, and I get the ole eye role. Had Mom & Dad take an online quiz to determine their political leanings, Mom was 89% Republican, Dad was 93% (could have those reversed, was during post Clinton years). They both said the quiz was rigged to show only that you were conservative.

I took it and answered what I thought a liberal would answer & got high 90s Democrat. They read my answers & said the Democrats weren't for any of those things. Sigh....

That good old "team" mentality.
    And the fact that they failed to realize that the Democrat party today, is not the Democrat party of 20 years ago.

I had a (now deceased) neighbor who was a Democrat and very, very proud of it, but she had literally no idea where the party or the people for whom she voted were positioned with respect to any issues at all (other than being elected). Her sole criterion for decision making at the polls was whether or not the candidate had a (D) after their name. I'm not saying she was low information, I'm saying she was zero information. Unfortunately, her group of friends who survive are identical in their politics and level of knowledge of issues. The fact that JFK (one of their heroes) was virtually the opposite of BHO or HRC is completely lost on them.

I do not doubt that plenty of non-Democrats are equally as robotic, but I've never met a non-Democrat who didn't have some tiny bit of knowledge or an opinion on at least one relevant issue.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yep, that's exactly what it's saying. Now who is the audience?

Oh, I get you there. Too many of the comments, memes, what-have-yous associated with this issue have been blatantly or subtly racist. So many people speak without thinking. So many people come to conclusions without empathy. On the other hand there are many, many on the other side of the coin who simply want to ignore reality. There are some hard lessons ahead of us as a nation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Violence or death? You've said both. What's the alternative for non-compliance?

Officer: Get down

Suspect: No

Officer: Please?

Officer: Pretty please?

Officer: Ok...well.... have a nice day

NFL Kneeler = Suspect
    Edit: almost forgot, also Thug.
    gotcha.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Violence or death? You've said both. What's the alternative for non-compliance?

It's called moving the goalposts. When youre previous argument isn't valid, you find a new goal to set so you're still correct. He completely ignores the fact that compliance with police greatly reduces the possibility of violence because that doesn't support his cause.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Lol wut? I'm sure in your mind that's what I and the meme are implying, but that's a stretch. Even for you.

I'm speaking on what other members have implied, not you specifically. Concerning the meme, that's exactly what it's stating. It's plainly obvious who "You" is in that meme, people that kneel ergo the players in the NFL, primarily. And as Birds Away, and I, have agreed upon the implied violence is meant for those who are non-compliant. So what's the point?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's called moving the goalposts. When youre previous argument isn't valid, you find a new goal to set so you're still correct. He completely ignores the fact that compliance with police greatly reduces the possibility of violence because that doesn't support his cause.

You apparently aren't reading this thread. You're still upset about that "thing" aren't you?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'm speaking on what other members have implied, not you specifically. Concerning the meme, that's exactly what it's stating. It's plainly obvious who "You" is in that meme, people that kneel ergo the players in the NFL, primarily. And as Birds Away, and I, have agreed upon the implied violence is meant for those who are non-compliant. So what's the point?

Yeah I'm confused. Is your issue with police violence or with people being upset about the kneelers? Personally, I think they should be free to do whatever they want as long as it's ok with their employer. That's the ugly side of freedom, being willing to die so that someone back home can spit on the flag without consequence from the government.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah I'm confused. Is your issue with police violence or with people being upset about the kneelers? Personally, I think they should be free to do whatever they want as long as it's ok with their employer. That's the ugly side of freedom, being willing to die so that someone back home can spit on the flag without consequence from the government.

I dislike unjust police violence, disparity in sentencing, profiling, and things like stop and frisk. It doesn't even need to be a black or white thing, it should be American thing (with a nod to Indiucky). The kneelers, and the NFL, deserved every criticism the public wished to heap upon them, if it is consistent with their views. The president weighing in, and calling the players "SOBs" while referring to the people involved in violence in Charlottesville as "good people," I have issue with. People that say the kneelers are disrespecting persons that served, I have issue with. People that use their service as an excuse to take issue with the kneelers, IMO, haven't a clue to why they served. This isn't the Roman Empire, service to the state doesn't invalidate someone's opinion, and certainly doesn't give that person the moral high ground.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The meme implies violence on the part of law enforcement, and on its merits, is invalid.

It implies no such thing. It implies compliance to LEO. I do not see what you are seeing Kut. I see 2 LEO holding a football and smiling. They could be green and that is still what I would see.

Unless you are making this reference in a devils advocate position.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I dislike unjust police violence, disparity in sentencing, profiling, and things like stop and frisk. It doesn't even need to be a black or white thing, it should be American thing (with a nod to Indiucky). The kneelers, and the NFL, deserved every criticism the public wished to heap upon them, if it is consistent with their views. The president weighing in, and calling the players "SOBs" while referring to the people involved in violence in Charlottesville as "good people," I have issue with. People that say the kneelers are disrespecting persons that served, I have issue with. People that use their service as an excuse to take issue with the kneelers, IMO, haven't a clue to why they served. This isn't the Roman Empire, service to the state doesn't invalidate someone's opinion, and certainly doesn't give that person the moral high ground.

:yesway:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It implies no such thing. It implies compliance to LEO. I do not see what you are seeing Kut. I see 2 LEO holding a football and smiling. They could be green and that is still what I would see.

Unless you are making this reference in a devils advocate position.

I'm not. Why do one need to issue a compliance warning to the NFL kneelers? You aware of some sort of situation where an NFL kneeler (or any other kneeler) refused to kneel at the direction of law enforcement? Please, inform, because I do not.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Okay, this is a lot to digest and some of it is a **** sandwich. Let's start at the start. Please tell me why, in your opinion and based upon your experience, stop and frisk was implemented in the first place.

Disclaimer: I do not support nor condone the violation of anyone's rights under the fourth amendment...or any other rights for that matter.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Okay, this is a lot to digest and some of it is a **** sandwich. Let's start at the start. Please tell me why, in your opinion and based upon your experience, stop and frisk was implemented in the first place.

Disclaimer: I do not support nor condone the violation of anyone's rights under the fourth amendment...or any other rights for that matter.

I haven't a clue. On it's merits alone, stopping and frisking someone sans a violation of the law is absolutely distasteful, especially when greater than 80% result in nothing. That doesn't even need to be a color thing. It should be an American thing. There's no way you can convince me that this policy is anything other than random, if out of 100 people stopped and frisked more than 80 are found to not be in violation of the law.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I haven't a clue. On it's merits alone, stopping and frisking someone sans a violation of the law is absolutely distasteful, especially when greater than 80% result in nothing. That doesn't even need to be a color thing. It should be an American thing. There's no way you can convince me that this policy is anything other than random, if out of 100 people stopped and frisked more than 80 are found to not be in violation of the law.

I don't wish to convince you of anything. Also, I have clearly stated that I do not support such a policy. I'm simply asking you why a major metropolitan police department would implement such a strategy. Surely, given your experience, you have some idea of why they might do so and what they were trying to accomplish.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom