• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    yep unfortunately used prices have gone through the roof. I was eyeballing 2 year old trucks spring of last year, same trucks now are $10k more than they were last spring. Granted my truck is up in value too but not $10k so I've put off any purchase until at least next year.
    I was looking for a while last couple of years. Looking for the right truck as it was going to be the last one we bought.
    WTAF peoples no way I am giving that money for a 5 year old truck with more miles than my 04 has on it. Insanity.

So I opted to just fix my truck for the rest of our long haul together in this life.
    04 with 155K on it and great maint in its well used life.
    Relaces all the normal wear items this series had.
    New light controls.
    New (refurbed) dash panel.
    New drive control as to 2W/4W on the fly.
    New actuator motor on the front Dif. Just because.
    New windshield.
    New headlights.
    New Tail lights.
    It had the new brake lines 3 years ago.
    Did all the work save the front glass so the money was very reasonable.

Truck hauls the mail to this day.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Lack of chips are driving the price of used cars up. Just like that brilliant Cash for Clunkers a few years back. I believe most of the clunkers were destroyed which greatly diminished the amount of used cars available. I heard current used car prices are up 22%. Can Bidon’t take credit for this?, but that is a conversation for another forum!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Silly question that I have googled and no layman's answer. I am thinking of buying a new 2021 Sadona and comes with two engine choices, a 2.5L naturally aspirated 4-cylinder making 191 hp and 181 lb-ft of torque which is available on the SE and SEL trims, and a 1.6L turbocharged engine making 190 hp and 190 lb-ft of torque available as standard on the SEL Plus and Limited trims.

So am I safe to assume the 2.5L naturally aspirated is a non turbo?

Thanks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Silly question that I have googled and no layman's answer. I am thinking of buying a new 2021 Sadona and comes with two engine choices, a 2.5L naturally aspirated 4-cylinder making 191 hp and 181 lb-ft of torque which is available on the SE and SEL trims, and a 1.6L turbocharged engine making 190 hp and 190 lb-ft of torque available as standard on the SEL Plus and Limited trims.

Thanks
    Thats what NA means. No power enhancer.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I was looking for a while last couple of years. Looking for the right truck as it was going to be the last one we bought.
    WTAF peoples no way I am giving that money for a 5 year old truck with more miles than my 04 has on it. Insanity.

So I opted to just fix my truck for the rest of our long haul together in this life.
    04 with 155K on it and great maint in its well used life.
    Relaces all the normal wear items this series had.
    New light controls.
    New (refurbed) dash panel.
    New drive control as to 2W/4W on the fly.
    New actuator motor on the front Dif. Just because.
    New windshield.
    New headlights.
    New Tail lights.
    It had the new brake lines 3 years ago.
    Did all the work save the front glass so the money was very reasonable.

Truck hauls the mail to this day.
    You're going to get me worked up again. I havent looked at trucks for awhile now. The prices have been ridiculous, i can only imagine what they're selling for now with all these supply issues.

warning: rant not pertaining to subject, and directed at no one (unless you're a designer of these vehicles)
    Im tired of manufacturers using forced induction to compensate for small displacement. Ford came out with the v6 turbo that was supposed to be better than the v8. JOKE. Next they bring out a 4dr mustang? wtf is that? Does the name mean nothing??? Then they go and call the all new electric f150 a lightning. SIN! Lightning's are 2wd, standard cab race trucks, not 4wd 4dr grocery getters. Whats ford going to do next? Break out the New Ford GT suv??? Now onto Tesla's abomination. Its a battery powered lifted delorean, lets not pretend its some radical new design. That thing is for the rich to show off, nothing else.

And now the worse sin of them all the "hummer". Thats not a hummer. No one who can afford it will ever use that crab walk feature except to get out of a parallel parking spot.
    Auto manufacturers have been bending over and producing trucks for suburbanites who want to sit up high and drive their kids to school. If i have to pay 100k+ for a truck , ill buy a used rolls royce and put a hitch on it.
    If you're listening chevy. Put a damn 350 in it, make it 4wd and call it a day. If you need something to help you back up a trailer you shouldnt be launching a boat or towing anything. Go practice in a field or parking lot. I had to when I learned to drive.

That feels good to say out loud.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    You're going to get me worked up again. I havent looked at trucks for awhile now. The prices have been ridiculous, i can only imagine what they're selling for now with all these supply issues.

warning: rant not pertaining to subject, and directed at no one (unless you're a designer of these vehicles)
    Im tired of manufacturers using forced induction to compensate for small displacement. Ford came out with the v6 turbo that was supposed to be better than the v8. JOKE. Next they bring out a 4dr mustang? wtf is that? Does the name mean nothing??? Then they go and call the all new electric f150 a lightning. SIN! Lightning's are 2wd, standard cab race trucks, not 4wd 4dr grocery getters. Whats ford going to do next? Break out the New Ford GT suv??? Now onto Tesla's abomination. Its a battery powered lifted delorean, lets not pretend its some radical new design. That thing is for the rich to show off, nothing else.

And now the worse sin of them all the "hummer". Thats not a hummer. No one who can afford it will ever use that crab walk feature except to get out of a parallel parking spot.
    Auto manufacturers have been bending over and producing trucks for suburbanites who want to sit up high and drive their kids to school. If i have to pay 100k+ for a truck , ill buy a used rolls royce and put a hitch on it.
    If you're listening chevy. Put a damn 350 in it, make it 4wd and call it a day. If you need something to help you back up a trailer you shouldnt be launching a boat or towing anything. Go practice in a field or parking lot. I had to when I learned to drive.

and another thing chevy. Fire whomever is designing your trucks. Every year i say how can this thing get any uglier and by some miracle you knock it right out of the park.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

You forgot the abomination that has the Chevy Blazer name attached. Not a big Ford fan either, but at least the new Bronco is what a Bronco should be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Thanks
    Thats what NA means. No power enhancer.

I like it. I agree with it.
    3 people we know bought those 2 staged turbo Ford truck's that were to be the end all. All but 1 of them is long gone as they sucked. The 3rd one is one of those guys like our resident Chrysler mini van guy (God love him) and the OP in this thread. He is steadfastly driving himself nuts dealing with that little engine that could that turns out it could not.
    Now understand I am not either one of the members mentioned and how they roll is up to them but damnit folks there comes a time to let it go. But thats just me. I cut my teeth on analog. No they would not roll out to 225K on a 5.3 gas engine or 450K on an oil drinker but man I could and would work on them.
    My truck has spoiled me. The 5.3 has done all I have ever asked of it and it has been tasked with some chores in its life.
    And it is still smooth as the day I bought it. There are positives to an EFI engine with an ECU.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    and another thing chevy. Fire whomever is designing your trucks. Every year i say how can this thing get any uglier and by some miracle you knock it right out of the park.
    Yup. Buddy just brought home a brand new Chevy that is pretty well loaded out. Its a heavy half just like my 04. GVW is up a bit and it has a few more ponys in the 5.3. I parked next to his and my truck looks like an S-10 sitting next to that thing. It is massive up front. Step ladder required to check anything under the hood. I drove it. Nothing I can complain about. 6 speed auto. 115volts available in the cab. MPG tracker and it sips fuel when you drive it properly. Back up cams and all the glory crap but get this, my 04 will whip his light to light. Just a fender but I can take him. Not sure what happens after that.

Oh and the tail gate raises itself.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

And why did Ford go from a 1.6 to the 1.5 liter eco boost? Because of laws in China. I don’t mind the newer engines as long as the are reliable. Pissed at Ford when the V10 was only offered in the 450 and not the 350 in 2016 and other years. Love the V10. And Ford has seemed to ignore the tradition of their iconic vehicles. Go woke go broke.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have never understood why some rich venture capitalist out there has never developed just a good old fashion work truck. Seems like it would be so simple to just take a good frame, stick a V-8 in that thing with a fuel pump and carb, headers and glass packs......attach it to a good tranny and transfer case, put some nice lock axles in that thing and call it a work truck......for about $20-25,000. I figure it all has to do with EPA, NTSB and UAW........ am I wrong?

Can you license an experimental work truck like an experimental aircraft?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never understood why some rich venture capitalist out there has never developed just a good old fashion work truck. Seems like it would be so simple to just take a good frame, stick a V-8 in that thing with a fuel pump and carb, headers and glass packs......attach it to a good tranny and transfer case, put some nice lock axles in that thing and call it a work truck......for about $20-25,000. I figure it all has to do with EPA, NTSB and UAW........ am I wrong?

CARB ratings and emissions. Safety. People want remote starts from the smart phone. Cant do that with a carburetor.
    Crank windows...........:runaway:
    No heated/lumbar/power position seats.....:runaway:
    We are spoiler my friend.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I buy F 350 XLT. 1996 then graduated to a turbo diesel XLT when we got a fifth wheel.

XL and XLT packages are work trucks, but most trucks I see are Lariats or above.

Now when I retire and live on the road, Diesel Platinum baby!!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

I doubt that there is a venture capitalist that is both rich enough to fund the creation of a new auto manufacturer and silly enough with his money to think that it's a good idea to do so, just to build something for the .01% of pickup truck buyers who long for crank windows and carburetors. Why would a company in the business of selling pickup trucks fool with the low profit margins involved in catering to the stingiest of buyers, when they are making money hand over fist with their higher trim crew cab models?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I doubt that there is a venture capitalist that is both rich enough to fund the creation of a new auto manufacturer and silly enough with his money to think that it's a good idea to do so, just to build something for the .01% of pickup truck buyers who long for crank windows and carburetors. Why would a company in the business of selling pickup trucks fool with the low profit margins involved in catering to the stingiest of buyers, when they are making money hand over fist with their higher trim crew cab models?
    Well they wouldn't of course.....that was why I am surprised someone hasn't done it other than the ones already screwing us, to take a little of that work truck money. It really has nothing to do with being stingy as much as not being loaded. It has to do with having a little common sense. Tell me who in their right mind buys a $60-70,000 truck and dumps a load of bricks in it, willingly...just the thought makes me cringe. If you be pooping dollar bills, have at it. That is why I will keep my old truck even when I do buy a new one.....call me stingy, tight azz, whatever you would like......but you wont be calling me stupid enough to buy even a $40,000 truck to get in with muddy boots, driving thru the woods and tearing it up.

If they want to make half tons pretty and nice family vehicles, race trucks or even the nicer model 3/4 and 1 ton I can understand it.......but to buy a fancy 3/4 or 1 ton work truck to tear up, just don't make logical sense to me......unless my middle upper age ego needs it, which so far I don't think it does, lol.

Ford F series became the best selling truck in the world by working people buying them and using them for work, a tool.....just another example of them straying away from what made them. You are right though. Ford, Chevy or Dodge won't be making them......as long as soccer dads will pay $70,000 for a 3/4 ton smoke slinger to take the kids to McDonalds in.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well, that car won't be bothering me anymore. Traded it for a new Hyundai Sonato SEL. Got $16,000 trade for that hunk of chit and it saved me like $1000 in sales tax. Got new car $4000 under MSRP. Hell, I only paid $19,000 for my Malibu new and drove it 3 1/2 years....they docked me $500 trade in because it is a smoker vehicle. I hid the ashtrays and smokes....sprayed spray and they still smelled it, them things must really stink.

Anyhow.......hate that I got rid of it when it was paid for, but glad it's gone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, that car won't be bothering me anymore. Traded it for a new Hyundai Sonato SEL. Got $16,000 trade for that hunk of chit and it saved me like $1000 in sales tax. Got new car $4000 under MSRP. Hell, I only paid $19,000 for my Malibu new and drove it 3 1/2 years....they docked me $500 trade in because it is a smoker vehicle. I hid the ashtrays and smokes....sprayed spray and they still smelled it, them things must really stink.

Anyhow.......hate that I got rid of it when it was paid for, but glad it's gone.
    Yes. Smoker cars smell like :poop: and guess what your lungs look like.....:):

Glad you stepped up.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yes. Smoker cars smell like :poop: and guess what your lungs look like.....:):

Glad you stepped up.
    CM,
    Thanks.

I really need to stop smoking......that is gonna put me in the grave a lot earlier in life. Crazy to know something is killing you......and yet I continue to do it. I spend enough on cigarettes every month to pay my mortgage or a new truck payment, that alone should make me quit. And I talk about logical thinking.......... nothing logical about that, is there.

Top Bottom