• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have already been thinking about that, lol. The only thing is, what to trade it in on? I sure as heck don't want another Malibu...and Ford just has the Fusion, is it any better? Guess I could get a Charger.....
    Not sure if you are only wanting a domestic, but for a car, I would steer towards Toyota or a used Lexus. I picked up my 2014 Lexus IS250 F sport with under 60,000 miles back in April for right around $18,000. There are some decent deals out there on used cars if you look enough.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    There is a reason why Toyotas and Hondas are the top selling sedans in the U.S. for several years running.

If I needed a sedan, I'd get a V6 Camry or its Lexus equivalent. The Toyota 3.5 V6 is proven and rock solid reliable, and has plenty of horsepower for a midsize sedan. I don't need a sedan right now, but I do miss my Lexus ES350.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Not necessarily but as the old saying goes “its just more **** to go wrong”
    This, if you understand it and realize turbos won't tolerate poor maintenance, then you can squeeze out a few extra MPG's. As an owner I'm not thrilled with GMs turbo/pcv design (im not sure if they have changed for 20/21)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Should used car buyers avoid most cars with turbo's?
    I've had good luck out of my 2017 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost turbo. Bought it new, it's got 62,000 miles on it. No problems out of it so far. From what I've read, most recent 2.0 and 3.5 Ecoboost engines are good to go.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Should used car buyers avoid most cars with turbo's?
    I would say it's less about the turbo and more about the manufacturers' design decisions. They are all increasing complexity to meet emissions requirements and trying to cut costs while doing it. A turbocharged engine can be just as reliable as an NA engine if engineered properly but that's expensive and makes less $$. In general of course a simpler design means less surface area for failures.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    Naturally aspirated is a better long-term engine, IMO.

My dad was a Pittsburgh steelworker who lost his job in the 80’s when people bought foreign cars. He resents that and believes “Be America, Buy American.” He nearly disowned me years ago when I bought a Mazda Tribute (even thought it was really a rebadged Ford Escape).

Today I drive a Tacoma because it’s well made, reliable, and should last many years. I would love to buy “American cars” (even though in a global economy that’s a thing of the past and my Toyota was built in Texas), but Chevy hosed me years ago (that’s a different story) and I’ll never buy from them again. I’ll stick with Toyotas.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is a reason why Toyotas and Hondas are the top selling sedans in the U.S. for several years running.

If I needed a sedan, I'd get a V6 Camry or its Lexus equivalent. The Toyota 3.5 V6 is proven and rock solid reliable, and has plenty of horsepower for a midsize sedan. I don't need a sedan right now, but I do miss my Lexus ES350.
    This or even look at some of the Subaru models as well. Toyota or Subaru, and down the list a bit is Honda. Have one of each currently. Our first Subaru, but owned a few Toyotas. Wife would have had a Lexus but she actually preferred the Subaru.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    VW makes a good turbo car if you are inclined to a diesel.
    I am in a class action lawsuit against GM right now. They let thousands of flawed 5.3L engines hit the market knowing they were missing oil drainage ports on the cylinders. My check engine light comes on all the time. I clear it out DAILY. I'd trade it in but can't afford right now. Mama-san ain't working.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    When the MAF sensor gets dirty, it affects how much air is measured getting into the intake manifold. If it gets dirty enough it will go into limp in mode and could do some damage. Back in the early 2000’s I worked at a GM dealer in Boonville and I remember GM put out a bulletin that said if a vehicle was under warranty and it came in with a K&N Airfilter the warranty was immediately void. Point being the reason for that was the oil on the K&N would dirty up the MAF and cause it to do harm to computer readings and get this burn up the transmission. I would make GM pay for, sounds like they may have an issue that may be known amongst GM but unwilling to deal with it. I had an issue with a 2009 GMC that my wife drove. It would suck oil in the intake between the MAF throttle bodyfrom a tube that was connected to the valve cover and the flexible intake tube and consume oil. Took it to 3 GM dealers no one could fix it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    K&N would sue GM if they came out and said that openly. K&N used to be on the approved list to replace OEM air filters since they carry a 1 million mile warranty.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I will bet the trade in offer will hurt.I would try to sell it outright first if possible. Toyota are expensive up front but cheap to keep rolling.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well the dealership texted me today while I was working...they said that the turbo was/is leaking oil. They ordered a new one and other parts....will be here tomorrow and that my warranty would be covering it. I sure am glad they took care of this...I was expecting a fight with them.

It's funny you guys mention K&N. When my car first started doing this and I asked about it at dealership, service manager said it is usually caused by K&N filters, lol. I told him my truck has over 400K and never had the throttle body cleaned, he said that is odd.

1DOWN.......I tried getting a trade in value and almost impossible to just get them to give me a price. A dealership in Louisville did offer me $12,500 towards a new Malibu RS.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Usually K&N filters are only a problem if they are oiled improperly. Turbos do seem to be more of a problem, especially if designed poorly. Friends eco-boost would send a ton of crud back into the intake and foul the plugs, but putting a catch can on it would void warranty. A much older engine I have only needs a catch can if you start really upping the boost over stock. My current Audi has a quart of oil in the intercooler due to a leak somewhere. That combined with direct injection (so the intake valves aren't being sprayed) leads to some interesting issues with the vehicle. Haven't figured out if this is a leaking seal in the turbo or it picking up oil due to PVC.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    1DOWN.......I tried getting a trade in value and almost impossible to just get them to give me a price. A dealership in Louisville did offer me $12,500 towards a new Malibu RS.
    So, trade a lemon Malibu for a new Malibu?

I've had 2 Dodge Chargers that were major POS. Ask me if I'll ever own another one.

Just sayin'

:):

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    K&N would sue GM if they came out and said that openly. K&N used to be on the approved list to replace OEM air filters since they carry a 1 million mile warranty.
    Well I do recall seeing that bullitin, but now it went to the SCOTUS and it is illegal for vehicle manufactures to void warraties for not using factory filters its called the MOSS-MAGNUSEN ACT

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well, I spoke too soon. They texted me and said "when they took turbo off they found water and oil in intercooler duct to the charge air cooler. The oil is a byproduct of the recirculation thru the EGR system. Water condensation a byproduct of turbo system. The water is freezing causing system to not perform. We need to replace the cooler and duct for $1212.35.GM will cover some cost, final cost is $542.50"

Are these guys hosing me? They claim this has nothing to do with the throttle body needing cleaned every 7000-10000 miles since it was brand new. BS or not?

Top Bottom