• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Don't know if you are getting hosed but the optics don't look good. This thread is just reinforcement for me not to buy a turbo car for an everyday driver. Sure more than likely they will be ok but it's also just another system to fail.

I know you'll likely get hosed on trade in value but I would get it fixed and then move it out of the fleet.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, I spoke too soon. They texted me and said "when they took turbo off they found water and oil in intercooler duct to the charge air cooler. The oil is a byproduct of the recirculation thru the EGR system. Water condensation a byproduct of turbo system. The water is freezing causing system to not perform. We need to replace the cooler and duct for $1212.35.GM will cover some cost, final cost is $542.50"

Are these guys hosing me? They claim this has nothing to do with the throttle body needing cleaned every 7000-10000 miles since it was brand new. BS or not?
    Seems highly suspicious. It sounds like they say both things are expected but somehow it's a problem that you have to fix instead of being calculated for in the design of the system?

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, I just read an article where GM got a class action suit dismissed because "their warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship" and the problem they were being sued for was a design defect. :scratch:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well, I spoke too soon. They texted me and said "when they took turbo off they found water and oil in intercooler duct to the charge air cooler. The oil is a byproduct of the recirculation thru the EGR system. Water condensation a byproduct of turbo system. The water is freezing causing system to not perform. We need to replace the cooler and duct for $1212.35.GM will cover some cost, final cost is $542.50"

Are these guys hosing me? They claim this has nothing to do with the throttle body needing cleaned every 7000-10000 miles since it was brand new. BS or not?
    First thing is to remind them you have a 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty
    2. Tell them you want to know what the Throttle Body Idle Air compensation% is?
    3. Contact GM customer care 1-800-222-1020, I believe they also have an online chat
    4. Contact GM Headquarters 1-313-556-5000 make complaint on dealership. Explain that you will not be buying GM next time if this doesn't get resolved.
    5. Look for new dealership to service you vehicle

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    First off...I never found out that Idle Air %, they couldn't tell me. But yesterday I went to pick my car up and I politely asked them what I was paying $542 for, as in what parts/service. They said is was a deductible. I asked why I was paying a deductible and they had no answer. I came unglued and demanded the service manager or general manager explain to me, before I pay. They got the manager and he said charge air cooler (intercooler) was not covered under warranty. I then advised him he was full of crap and obviously didn't know. I had already spoken to 3 different Chevy dealers (Bill Estes was great to me), GM Headquarters and GM Customer Care....they had all confirmed it was covered under warranty. So manager said give him a few minutes to check on it. He then returned and said it was free, he found it was covered under a TSB GM sent out on 2017 Malibu intercooler(charge air cooler). I don't know or even care if that is true or not, he tried telling me intercooler is emission and it only has 24K warranty or something like that but TSB covered it. I honestly think he went back and found it was covered under power train, and just didn't want to admit I had done my homework. Bottom line, he admitted his mistake and I got my car, no charge under warranty.

The bad news is they didn't replace the turbo as well. SO now I have to worry about whether it will fail before the warranty expires. I only have 43,000 miles on it, so I have warranty to 60,000 or Oct. 2022. I imagine if this does not resolve my check engine light (dirty throttle body)......I should know before then.

I guess my only concern is the technician originally said he saw fluid leak on turbo, then they said intercooler was cause....but other turbo technicians have told me I probably should not have been able to see fluid from turbo even if intercooler was leaking, since it is after the turbo in the system. To be honest.....this gets over my head and I have no knowledge about how the system works.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom....I appreciate your guidance and help.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I may have missed this, but why would you not take it to one of these dealers especially given the last stupidity on trying to get you to pay: "had already spoken to 3 different Chevy dealers (Bill Estes was great to me)..they had all confirmed it was covered under warranty."

the next time you need anything, including preventative maintenance etc that you have the dealer do that you don't do yourself. I'd drive past that dealer to get to another and get better service. Your warranty, etc is good at any of them.

Just curious. I didn't re-read back through the thread again (I had read it all at one point, so not sure if I missed something on this).

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    First off...I never found out that Idle Air %, they couldn't tell me. But yesterday I went to pick my car up and I politely asked them what I was paying $542 for, as in what parts/service. They said is was a deductible. I asked why I was paying a deductible and they had no answer. I came unglued and demanded the service manager or general manager explain to me, before I pay. They got the manager and he said charge air cooler (intercooler) was not covered under warranty. I then advised him he was full of crap and obviously didn't know. I had already spoken to 3 different Chevy dealers (Bill Estes was great to me), GM Headquarters and GM Customer Care....they had all confirmed it was covered under warranty. So manager said give him a few minutes to check on it. He then returned and said it was free, he found it was covered under a TSB GM sent out on 2017 Malibu intercooler(charge air cooler). I don't know or even care if that is true or not, he tried telling me intercooler is emission and it only has 24K warranty or something like that but TSB covered it. I honestly think he went back and found it was covered under power train, and just didn't want to admit I had done my homework. Bottom line, he admitted his mistake and I got my car, no charge under warranty.

The bad news is they didn't replace the turbo as well. SO now I have to worry about whether it will fail before the warranty expires. I only have 43,000 miles on it, so I have warranty to 60,000 or Oct. 2022. I imagine if this does not resolve my check engine light (dirty throttle body)......I should know before then.

I guess my only concern is the technician originally said he saw fluid leak on turbo, then they said intercooler was cause....but other turbo technicians have told me I probably should not have been able to see fluid from turbo even if intercooler was leaking, since it is after the turbo in the system. To be honest.....this gets over my head and I have no knowledge about how the system works.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom....I appreciate your guidance and help.
    The oil may have just been oil residue in the intake pipe, there will always be oil in the intake pipe on this car. If I take mine off right now it will be oily. The turbo itself is a pretty good unit, the pcv and manifold not so much (even worse on the Cruze). It would be a premature failure on the turbo, but like everything else that is possible. I would keep a good eye on the oil level and if it appears to be loosing oil quick take to another dealer. Know that it will use some oil on a oil change cycle just because of poor design.

I would guess they were trying to pad the service $$ because warranty work doesn't pay much. They knew it was covered under warranty. They may also have a TSB on the water pump of that car. If you know of a more honest dealership you're willing to work with I would start using them. And believe it or not GM does want to hear about the poor experience, they are in business to make money and return customer are important. Same way you would want to know if an employee was out using your name doing poor work. Good luck glad you pushed the warranty.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The car itself isn't bad. A few lemons make it out with every manufacturer. Turbo cars use oil, that's just a fact of life.

The problem here appears to be a shady dealership.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    And the saga continues......my check engine light came back on, same code and Onstar notified me and said get service ASAP. So I took to a different dealer, they checked car and said it had positive crankcase ventilation and that PCV orfice was obstructed, $1300 to change a PCV valve on it. Guess Chevy put out a service bulletin on this. This blocked valve was causing oil to get pushed back into throttle body and turbo. They said this was probably causing the dirty throttle body issue that has been ongoing. So I went and picked it up unrepaired, went to dealer who did repair in January, raised all kinds of hell. Told them the reason I have dealt with dirty throttle body is blocked PCV valve. They kept saying it wasnt under warranty since it expired at 50K miles, and I said well if you all had fixed it properly at 43,000 miles it would have been. He called me 2 days later said it was ready and no charge.

But the thing I can't figure out. Why in the hell does it cost $1300 to have a PCV valve changed? They have to remove all kinds of stuff, take off valve cover, all them gaskets, fuel rail, injectors......just to replace a PCV valve! Who comes up with this stuff? Are all newer vehicles that expensive to change a PCV valve?

I just hope this fixes it finally.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And the saga continues......my check engine light came back on, same code and Onstar notified me and said get service ASAP. So I took to a different dealer, they checked car and said it had positive crankcase ventilation and that PCV orfice was obstructed, $1300 to change a PCV valve on it. Guess Chevy put out a service bulletin on this. This blocked valve was causing oil to get pushed back into throttle body and turbo. They said this was probably causing the dirty throttle body issue that has been ongoing. So I went and picked it up unrepaired, went to dealer who did repair in January, raised all kinds of hell. Told them the reason I have dealt with dirty throttle body is blocked PCV valve. They kept saying it wasnt under warranty since it expired at 50K miles, and I said well if you all had fixed it properly at 43,000 miles it would have been. He called me 2 days later said it was ready and no charge.

But the thing I can't figure out. Why in the hell does it cost $1300 to have a PCV valve changed? They have to remove all kinds of stuff, take off valve cover, all them gaskets, fuel rail, injectors......just to replace a PCV valve! Who comes up with this stuff? Are all newer vehicles that expensive to change a PCV valve?

Man get rid of it.....Now.

rwilky78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2016
    Kendallville
    If this is a 1.5 liter, I have had a couple of these caused by a broken piston ring lands. Usually you have oil consumption with this though. This will cause excessive high crankcase pressure and excessive oil in PCV system.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    The root cause of many of these problems is the lack of any ability to use critical thinking. I.e. water in bucket keeps going down. Need to keep adding water. Don’t know how that hole in the side is affecting anything!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just saw that. :):
    I understand dedication but some folks seem to live for the fight.
    There is a rational point that you let a turd go.
    Or you dig in and waste a year of your life on stress and the insanity that ensues. Its a personal thing. My time is far more valuable and my stress levels have enough input.......:):

Move on its a car.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Like I said up thread these cars are plagued with pcv issues, at least these are replaceable(don't want to scare you but you may have more than 1 :nailbite:). Some of the other GM's have them built into the valve cover and manifold, and you have to replace the entire piece. The part itself is probably less than $20 and causes issues for a lot of people.

Just out of curiosity is it the 1.5 or 2.0?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Like I said up thread these cars are plagued with pcv issues, at least these are replaceable(don't want to scare you but you may have more than 1 :nailbite:). Some of the other GM's have them built into the valve cover and manifold, and you have to replace the entire piece. The part itself is probably less than $20 and causes issues for a lot of people.

Just out of curiosity is it the 1.5 or 2.0?
    I think it is the 1.5L, bot honestly....I don't even know. They gave me a parts list and it was like $200 for all the gaskets, valves, etc....but labor was like $900, but the TSB only allowed 4.7 Labor Hours, not sure how that panned out.

I have been thinking about trading it for a new Ford Fusion......and quite honestly I even looked at a new Kia K5. But hell, I own it and 50,000 miles......probably just keep the piece of junk.

Top Bottom