• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    1. There is a portion of the population that seems to have some level of native immunity.
    2. There is a growing group that have already had the virus and achieved some level of immunity from that.
    3. There is a growing number of partially and fully vaccinated people that have some level of immunity from that.
    I would expect some sort of viral spread slowing at some point from the effect of those three groups.
    I don't know if that cumulative slowing effect has definitely shown up yet so I certainly don't think any effect of the vaccine alone is visible or can be identified at this point.
    I don't really disagree with any of that.

But, along the lines that I think HM was making (and that I offered upthread), the EU is having a very different experience right now. Of course, we can't control for all of the variables (especially the ones involving virus variants, social norms and population density), but one key variable is that their percentage of people vaccinated is about half of ours. And their rates are increasing while ours are generally decreasing or remaining steady (depending on what you're looking at).

Again, I'm not arguing vaccines as a complete panacea or that there's no risk to them at all. Just discussing different aspects of what's going on. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

But, along the lines that I think HM was making (and that I offered upthread), the EU is having a very different experience right now. Of course, we can't control for all of the variables (especially the ones involving virus variants, social norms and population density), but one key variable is that their percentage of people vaccinated is about half of ours. And their rates are increasing while ours are generally decreasing or remaining steady (depending on what you're looking at).

Again, I'm not arguing vaccines as a complete panacea or that there's no risk to them at all. Just discussing different aspects of what's going on. :)
    Unfortunately, their vaccine rollout has stalled, too.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Yes, I agree, however the EU experience has been different than ours all along and well before there was any vaccine involved. I find it a real stretch to attribute any differences now to the vaccine at this point. The level of vaccinated population is still too low across the globe to claim any effect directly because of the vaccine alone.
    The differences between countries in the EU and differences between States here seem to point to other variables being dominant for a year now and I don't believe that has changed yet.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder how much money is being made off the beer virus and who's getting it? Global warming is never going away because it's making money for the connected groups. Covid might be here to stay if enough cash is going to the right people.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This could probably go in the Insane Social Justice thread too, but since it's Covid-related...

No screaming on roller coasters under California’s COVID-19 plan​

:ugh:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This could probably go in the Insane Social Justice thread too, but since it's Covid-related...

No screaming on roller coasters under California’s COVID-19 plan​

:ugh:

Rules made by idiots.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wonder how much money is being made off the beer virus and who's getting it? Global warming is never going away because it's making money for the connected groups. Covid might be here to stay if enough cash is going to the right people.
    "Winning"

WTFU people. Seriously. Just WTFU.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It's true, there has to be provided rewards as well as punishments. When plans are made, how to minimize resistance and induce the powerful to go along (as by example with climate change), how you structure the scam with all the players from corrupted academia to corrupted power brokers, everybody has to get a cut. But for those calling the shots, they already own the mints and publish the currencies. Money to them is just hydraulic fluid to accomplish transfers of power.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    A movie, a thorough illustration of the bank bug plot.
    The creator, director, videographer, humorist, whatever, did an amazing job putting this together.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

No disagreement. The slowing of virus cases overall is tough to tie to just one thing as only a specific population (over 70) is vaccinated in large percentages, and that population is only about 11% of total cases.

But who really cares about total cases? People get sick every day. The real issue is hospitalizations and death. 76% of the death in Indiana (and a like number of ICU use and hospitalizations) are those over age 70 and, particularly those in long term care, the very first groups to be vaccinated. The precipitous drop in deaths, which is faster than the drop in cases, is directly related to vaccines, though, sure, there are other factors as well.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    About rewards, the bank bug was timed to bring in the doubling of the money supply when it was needed. In other words, the ramping up was coordinated with anticipated conditions. So yeah, lots of rewarding and hardly anyone could see it over the tops of their masks.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No disagreement. The slowing of virus cases overall is tough to tie to just one thing as only a specific population (over 70) is vaccinated in large percentages, and that population is only about 11% of total cases.

But who really cares about total cases? People get sick every day. The real issue is hospitalizations and death. 76% of the death in Indiana (and a like number of ICU use and hospitalizations) are those over age 70 and, particularly those in long term care, the very first groups to be vaccinated. The precipitous drop in deaths, which is faster than the drop in cases, is directly related to vaccines, though, sure, there are other factors as well.
    The correct way to analyze any mitigation is to compare to a control group. Thus far, there is little difference in the virus curve (spread/infection, death, etc.) based on any mitigation, as far as I know. As others have said (and I'm sure I've repeated): viruses (virii?) are going to virus. They have a pretty well-known curve. This one is following its curve, with little change/impact due to any mitigations, including vaccination.

(That's not to say that I am against vaccination; those who are at risk, especially, should get the vaccine! And those who choose to get it should also do so. The same is true for any other virus.)

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    How can you get rich on a 40 year old drug

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    About Gov. Whitmer

"Michigan is one of the only two states where the governor is exempt from Freedom of Information laws, and the only state where that exemption is written into statute.
    Thanks to this exemption, the governor has no obligation to produce and records whatsoever, despite making decisions affecting the lives of every Michigander."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And speaking of things green and things to come, here yah go!

Getting even more off topic but holy ****!

By changing the lifestyles that drive millions of people, especially children, into the grip of hunger, we will be able to lead a more austere existence that would make a fair distribution of resources possible. This does not mean diminishing some people’s rights in order to drive downward leveling, but rather involves guaranteeing more and broader rights to those who currently have none.

On that last part you can’t do one without the other.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom