Now goes the process of convincing and saving up for a lift kit

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    My XJ is back up and running :D
    Now goes the process of convincing and saving up for a lift kit
    I'd keep the XJ stock and by a wrangler since they typically require less lift for desired tire size. I run 37's and only have 5 inches of lift. Plus it fun to wheel topless. Now if i could get the wife to wheel topless it would be even better.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    3" will get you 31's and maybe require some trimming up front.
    I'd go full leaf pack on the back and not add-a-leaf.
    1" T case drop and new front lower C arms should do it (of course longer shocks).
    If you are gonna wheel it more than lightly I'd get a steering box frame stiffener and not go with the offset bracket on the axle for the track bar. Get an adj trackbar and keep the pivot where it will help the axle bracket live longer.
    If you do go with offset bracket- bolt it in and then weld it.
    Screw the QD sway bar link junk, just get fixed longer ones........or don't run any if you like added risk.
    3" and 31's plus twist= stuff and rub the wheel wells.

For a DD I think 3" and 31's looks way better than a 2" spacer and 30's.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Been told that 3" lift does not require a transfer case drop (of course you never know until you lift it). 31" tires will fit on 3" and get full leaf packs. That is my plan. About 2,000 with a rough country kit with new leaf packs and 31" Goodyear Kevlar MTR's (one of the best off road tires there is from what I seen on the trails).

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I run a 2" front spacer with a 2" add a leaf in the rear. I ran it with 235 R15's (30"s) for a long time. I upgraded to 31x10.5's. I had serious rubbing front and rear. I trimmed the front considerable and trimmed the rear a good bit. No more rubbing on the fenders. But i do rub on the control arms at full lock (no amount of suspension lift will fix that. only wheel spacers or different wheels). No T-Case issues at 2", i have the 242 in stock location. I will be going to 3.5" and 33's here soon with a Slip yoke eliminator. I feel the T-Case drop a short term silly fix. Why lower ground clearance after installing a lift?

3" lift on a XJ may or may not require a tc drop or SYE.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I did the T case drop right off. If you wheel it half way decent, I'd suggest welding them on (never came loose after that).

Its only an inch, don't think it a clearance issue.......not when stuff behind that gets drug over junk- hell from my skidplate back my subframe was white steel. Mangled driveshafts and a few new exhaust systems :)

I ran 3" lift with 2" spacers (and 1" t case drop) on two XJ's and with RE adj lower C arms they ran great down the highway- at well above highway speeds (oops). No death wobble, no wander (you will probably get that if you go 3" and stock C arms)...........and this with no front or rear sway bars.

Both of my XJ's had 242s and no vibe there, at 3 or 5" of lift, didn't need SYE.

Do think a SYE a good idea though, because when you nuke a rear shaft on a regular equipped 242 you've got no plug after you take the driveshaft out.

I managed to blow both of my XJ's 242s and ripped 8 or 9 teeth of my D35 ring gear.......with just 31's and moderate wheeling. Get a steering box brace plate. You will need it. I ran a C rok or whatever it was called. Worked fine (after welding up the 5 or so cracks in the subframe). Put it on my other XJ and never cracked it.

Fun rigs but not bulletproof. Wheel it and be prepared for some serious wrenching.
    Even w 31's I broke all the crap the JP magazine articles said I would. Twist it for a couple days on a trail and have wet carpets.......later models a bit stiffer than earlier XJ's though, might not leak/crack as easy.

For those who are picky, adjustable control arms with rubber bushings at both ends might be less annoying. Spherical bushings on the front translate a lot of vibe/noise.

On a DD that might get on your nerves, esp if you commute.

Also, some leaf packs are kinda harsh on tiny little things like gravel on pavement. My Procomps were noisy after a few trips, and little stuff they rode harsh. Big stuff they were downright comfy- hit a washboard at speed and thought I was going to need spinal surgery and dental work (first run down an unknown country road, washed out, going hunting- just got the lift installed........was a pleasant suprise!).

New lifts make your old rig feel like new, until you get about 2 days of wheeling in. then they're creaky sloppy regular Jeeps again :)

Poly bushings also creak when cold......that too can get annoying.

For the deer hauler, mild wheeler it might be best to go rubber bushings on the C arms, both ends.

Heard a while back Rubicon Express went under, but then came back. Haven't checked. I loved my Superflex lower C arms. Beat the crap out of them and they held up great.

Oh yeah, I always ran T case and gas tank skidplates too- needed them!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, don't buy a Tcase drop kit for $40 (if you decide to do one). Just cut some 1" square tube steel and make your own. Silly they charge that much for basically nothin'.
    I had mine welded on and went with nuts and short bolts for the X member.

By the way, that X member is pretty wussy too. I never ugraded but on both of my rigs they were pretty beat up.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    How much is a lift and 31 gonna cut into gas mileage?
    I think I see 17-18 city right now (i6, 5-speed manual) but that was before the water pump was replaced

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Been told that 3" lift does not require a transfer case drop (of course you never know until you lift it). 31" tires will fit on 3" and get full leaf packs. That is my plan. About 2,000 with a rough country kit with new leaf packs and 31" Goodyear Kevlar MTR's (one of the best off road tires there is from what I seen on the trails).

MTR's are nice but they are a bit pricey.

I gotta buy two new ones, 32's.

Sucks.

For DD, hunting and light trail use I'd go BFG AT, 31's and 2inch spacer, on a ZJ or XJ. Cheaper overall and less stress of other stuff.

You get a lift, bigger tires then you do more, and tear up more.

On a clean DD probably not a good idea.

Beater Jeeps, tear the hell out of them :)

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    2006 wrangler golden eagle edition; 1995 wrangler 4 banger; the wife's station wagon an 07 comander. If you couldn't tell we are a jeep family

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    MTR's are nice but they are a bit pricey.

I gotta buy two new ones, 32's.

Sucks.

For DD, hunting and light trail use I'd go BFG AT, 31's and 2inch spacer, on a ZJ or XJ. Cheaper overall and less stress of other stuff.

You get a lift, bigger tires then you do more, and tear up more.

On a clean DD probably not a good idea.

Beater Jeeps, tear the hell out of them :)

I need to find a stock rear bumper, the one that was on it was bent and after it took three hours with air tools, I got the hitch on and called it good. Wheeled the green trail at badlands, have a small dent and a couple good scrapes on the passenger front door now.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I need to find a stock rear bumper, the one that was on it was bent and after it took three hours with air tools, I got the hitch on and called it good. Wheeled the green trail at badlands, have a small dent and a couple good scrapes on the passenger front door now.

I have the stock rear bumper off of my 99 cherokee that i would sell. With end caps.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    So, question guys;
    What would happen if you were caught (by the police, presumably) wheeling in a random location. Like let's say there are lot's of trails there and they look pretty recent, but you don't know exactly who owns it (private/public/etc)

Pictures not related, but they are of my jeep that I took today while fishing :)
    2012-03-06164822.jpg

2012-03-06164842.jpg

2012-03-06173314.jpg

Last edited:

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I would say that I have devoted alot of time and energy to keeping trails open. If you got a tresspassing ticket while tearing up property that you don't have permission to be on then you should take to opprotunity to learn something from your mistake.

There several ckubs and interest groups all over the state that could help you become a responsible wheeler. Take advantage of their resources and make a difference.

Check out the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association and look for a club close to you. They will get you started.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I would say that I have devoted alot of time and energy to keeping trails open. If you got a tresspassing ticket while tearing up property that you don't have permission to be on then you should take to opprotunity to learn something from your mistake.

There several ckubs and interest groups all over the state that could help you become a responsible wheeler. Take advantage of their resources and make a difference.

Check out the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association and look for a club close to you. They will get you started.

Well, for instance,
    I know that some of the kids at my high school will take their 4x4's behind the "new" Chrysler plant in Kokomo, or behind the walmart. I've not seen the Chrysler plant, but I drove behind the walmart and people have definitely been offroading there. Deep ruts, a big hill with tire marks, etc.

I like to have a good time just like everyone else, but I also like to stay out of trouble with the law. :)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So, question guys;
    What would happen if you were caught (by the police, presumably) wheeling in a random location. Like let's say there are lot's of trails there and they look pretty recent, but you don't know exactly who owns it (private/public/etc)
    Just Don't...

There are a LOT of us that own Land and Maintain Trails on it for our use not for wheeling fun.

Top Bottom