Not open for further replies.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We used red instead of yellow because of what the store had. I am pretty sure the sauce or gravy wasn't made exact either.

Beef stock, makers mark 46, and seasoning. Wrap bacon around and used toothpicks to hold in place. Oh and cut out a small part of the center to hold some of the bourbon :)

250⁰ for 2 hours, baste every 30 minutes, add gruyere cheese about 10 to 15 before we took them out.

Very very good and filled me up more than I thought :-/
    Definitely trying these

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I might actually try an onion like that. I'm pretty much diced in dishes for flavor or onion rings only.

Looks good :yesway:

Definitely trying these
    I saw it this morning on a youtube video on Kamado Joe recipes... its a few years old but straight to the point cooking video. Glad we gave it a shot. I'm sure there are simple changes to make it even better but as-is was a really good start for us

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    We used red instead of yellow because of what the store had. I am pretty sure the sauce or gravy wasn't made exact either.

Beef stock, makers mark 46, and seasoning. Wrap bacon around and used toothpicks to hold in place. Oh and cut out a small part of the center to hold some of the bourbon :)

250⁰ for 2 hours, baste every 30 minutes, add gruyere cheese about 10 to 15 before we took them out.

Very very good and filled me up more than I thought :-/
    Huge fan of grilled onions. I will be trying this for sure.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is not my normal kind of meal or appetizer... but turned out really good.

Bacon wrapped onion with beef stock/bourbon sauce and gruyere cheese.
    View attachment 215029

Followed with onion and potato mix with chicken. All off the kamado joe.

View attachment 215030
    Those onions look delicious. Kinda like a smokey French onion soup on a plate.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Cooked a little for a friend who was throwing a party. Some queso, couple butts, armadillo eggs, and 90+ wings.

Vt3gaM2l.jpg

DMoYyixl.jpg

vS60gMDl.jpg

W6BaJUml.jpg

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Easily the best pork butt I've ever made. Needed it for after-church dinner with my parents, so started it Saturday evening. Overnight at 180 (should have done it at 200, to hit the finish time I was after). Got up Sunday morning, added a drip pan underneath, filled with the last of my Blake's Beard Bender (dry) hard cider, plus one can poured over the top. Raised the temp to 225, with periods at 250 to 275 (trying to get it to finish around 1:00 PM). Ended up pulling it off at 1:30; it almost fell apart getting it into the cooler. Rested for an hour, and it pulled apart like butter. Poured the drop pan contents over it. Perfectly moist. (I forgot to get a picture of it pulled; we were too busy eating it.)
    20220731_140015.jpg

If you're curious: yes, those are two temp probes: one is the Traeger built-in probe, and the other is a Meater probe. The Meater is pretty much designed for a cook like this, especially being able to see the chart of internal and ambient temperatures across the cook.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Had a pro level contest this weekend at Central City, KY. First one with this caliber of teams that we have done.
    The Jim Beam team was right next to us which made for a rough morning on Saturday.

We chose not to garnish, which probably cost us some points, but we still walked away with 5th in chicken and ribs, and 9th overall out of 21 teams.
    20220730_125942.jpgIMG_9584.jpg20220730_140215.jpgIMG_8503.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We chose not to garnish, which probably cost us some points, but we still walked away with 5th in chicken and ribs, and 9th overall out of 21 teams.
    I wish they would simply focus on the meat. I've never understood what the container or other non meat things had to do with who cooked the best bbq. I've eaten some crap bbq that sure looked pretty and I've eaten some amazing yet ugly bbq.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I wish they would simply focus on the meat. I've never understood what the container or other non meat things had to do with who cooked the best bbq. I've eaten some crap bbq that sure looked pretty and I've eaten some amazing yet ugly bbq.
    Ah, so you've had California BBQ, too, I see.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I agree, thats why before every competition at the cooks meeting we try to get the people running the contest to agree on no garnishes. Nobody likes the smell of hot kale anyway.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My daughter's boyfriend's birthday today and they've invited a couple of friends over for ribeyes, oven baked taters and fresh green beans from the garden. I'm on a tellicherry kick so I ground up a small handful with 5 big cloves of garlic, Hawaiian Aleah salt and Costco's olive oil in my molcajete, gloved up and rubbed the steaks on all sides before putting them on the egg at 220*. Once they get in the neighborhood of 120 I'll pull them and start getting the heat cranked up to 700* for a nice sear.

izZpE5qh.jpg

XnbLON1h.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not outdoor cooking, but using an ingredient from outdoor cooking. I'm currently killing time while waiting for my beef stew to cook down enough to add the veggies. The outdoor component is the beef broth is homemade, using beef rib bones from ribs I smoked. I'm curious as to how much smoke flavor this is going to add.

Basics are: Brown 1" cubes of beef in dutch oven in a little veggie oil. Remove. Add mushrooms and a tablespoon or so of water, just enough to scrape up all the fond from the beef. Add a little more oil and a couple tablespoons of flour, stir until flour hydrated. Add onions, fresh garlic, fresh thyme. Scrape fond again. Add red wine. Add beef back in. Add beef stock. Move to 350 degree oven. An hour later, add potato, celery, carrot, or whatever your preferred veggie mix is. Continue in oven for another hour or so until veggies at desired texture. Add peas and parsley. 10 minutes in the oven. Let cool for a bit to thicken.

No measurements, just kind of eyeballed. There's tons of recipes out there if you need details. I did cheat this time and bought a loaf of nice crusty bread instead of baking it, but I want time to do some other things today as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not outdoor cooking, but using an ingredient from outdoor cooking. I'm currently killing time while waiting for my beef stew to cook down enough to add the veggies. The outdoor component is the beef broth is homemade, using beef rib bones from ribs I smoked. I'm curious as to how much smoke flavor this is going to add.

Basics are: Brown 1" cubes of beef in dutch oven in a little veggie oil. Remove. Add mushrooms and a tablespoon or so of water, just enough to scrape up all the fond from the beef. Add a little more oil and a couple tablespoons of flour, stir until flour hydrated. Add onions, fresh garlic, fresh thyme. Scrape fond again. Add red wine. Add beef back in. Add beef stock. Move to 350 degree oven. An hour later, add potato, celery, carrot, or whatever your preferred veggie mix is. Continue in oven for another hour or so until veggies at desired texture. Add peas and parsley. 10 minutes in the oven. Let cool for a bit to thicken.

No measurements, just kind of eyeballed. There's tons of recipes out there if you need details. I did cheat this time and bought a loaf of nice crusty bread instead of baking it, but I want time to do some other things today as well.

Turned out pretty good. At least good enough that what I thought was two days worth was gone overnight, both my wife and son dipped back in again.

I guess I'm smoking chicken today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom