• patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Man the list of things I miss is long.

I miss the simplicity. No phones/social :bs: networking. Leave the house with as set course of things to accomplish and no one missed you. The phone was on the wall at home. We were pretty self reliant.
    Amen. Eat breakfast. Get outta the house. Don't come back until lunch. Then same thing 'til dinner.

Catching crawdads in the creek.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    “All my troubles were so far away. “

going to a concert (3 bands marshal tucker the outlaws and j giels band ) cost 4.95 a q 95 the album station promotion. Rush at market square was 9.95 plus the fee at sun records in anderson.(pre Karma records) and you had to stand in line and hope tickets were still being sold. My KISS ARMY membership card. UFO magizine. Cane pole fishing. Digging worms or getting lucky when the night crawlers came out to let you break them in half.
    Buying Elton John’s “goodbye yellow brick road at Kmart 6.95 plus tax “ with my own money from mowing lawns which I got a dollar per lawn.
    transistor radio playing Baker Street on the 9 volt battery.
    showing up at school first day with the same shirt as 20 percent of the class because it was on sale at Kmart back to school sale. BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL.
    converse all star low tops were the cheapest sneakers you could buy and we had enough pairs to were a red right shoe and a white left shoe.
    Kmarts annual small game special on a ruger 10/22 with 4 power scope and sling 99-139 dollars as time went along.
    Burger chief and Jeff toys with my kids meal.

Seems that lots of my memories were about Kmart, music and fishing.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    In middle/high school, our track (and elementary playground) was cinders/clinkers. Tripping on the hurdles meant a long session with tweezers. Bicycle wipe-outs on asphalt were less injurious, lol!
    The town I grew up in had a coal fired power plant. Used the clinkers on the roads in the winter. A wreck on your bike took a lot of skin off in the springtime until the rain washed them off the streets.

Don

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    For me it has to be spending time at Royer lake in Lagrange Indiana at a cottage my grandfather built back in the day. At 4 years of age I stumbled next door into the neighbors yard and the old timers welcomed me onto their porch as they smoked tobacco out of corn cob pipes and reminisced of the past with one another while enjoying the present moments. It was a nice sunny day as the calm waves gently made the cattails dance along the embankment. The other neighbor Mr. Harpster asked me if Id got any birds with my red Ryder BB gun but I told him no. I just went after old soda pop cans up along the hill near the woods. Occasionally the neighborhood golden retriever would run around and greet anyone who was out and about doing things.
    Another fond memory is the pleasant nostalgic aroma of fallen plums on the ground in my grandmothers backyard as I played outside with this all white stray mutt we brought home and named “zoom”. We kept him as the family dog and fed him table scraps for a decade or so until he passed. He was a good doggo.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I got a rant here, unnecessary crap in cars. I need a new battery in my sedan. Pretty simple process you'd think. Wrong, the battery is $284 from napa. I have to disassemble my trunk to get to it. Of course this battery isnt at any of my local auto part stores. Then when i install it i have to purchase an app $30 on my phone to "register the battery" & let the car know its a new battery so the computer can tell the alternator how much it should send to it. If i dont get the exact same spec'd battery i would have to buy another app for $30 to recode the computer (both apps owned by the same company btw, should of just made 1 app). Oh and then theres the $30 bucks for the bluetooth obd2 plug to be able to make the changes. so roughly $400 for a new battery to save me roughly 120 bucks labor rate.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    “All my troubles were so far away. “

converse all star low tops were the cheapest sneakers you could buy and we had enough pairs to were a red right shoe and a white left shoe.

You were lucky, when I was a kid our tennis shoes came from Danners a 5&10 ( Danner dandies is what I called em ) store or just about anyplace that carried cheap shoes. If you wanted the ultimate shoe ( Converse All Stars ) the only place I remember being able to get them was at Em-Roes downtown Indy. Probably the equivalent to a nice pair of Jordan Nikes in today's world.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I saw this thread in another subform on popping chipmunks.

When I was in middle school, an older cousin of mine built a house in the woods. The property was overran with chipmunks.

When I would visit my grandparents, I always had an open invite to run out with my 22 to "thin the herd".

A 13 year old boy with a 22 rifle in the woods is the freest man in the world!

Some of the best summer vacation days ever were comprised of breakfast with the grandparents and then spending the day popping rodents.

I learned much from those days.....nothing else like it.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    I got a rant here, unnecessary crap in cars. I need a new battery in my sedan. Pretty simple process you'd think. Wrong, the battery is $284 from napa. I have to disassemble my trunk to get to it. Of course this battery isnt at any of my local auto part stores. Then when i install it i have to purchase an app $30 on my phone to "register the battery" & let the car know its a new battery so the computer can tell the alternator how much it should send to it. If i dont get the exact same spec'd battery i would have to buy another app for $30 to recode the computer (both apps owned by the same company btw, should of just made 1 app). Oh and then theres the $30 bucks for the bluetooth obd2 plug to be able to make the changes. so roughly $400 for a new battery to save me roughly 120 bucks labor rate.
    Just curious what kind of vehicle? I do a lot of the work on my vehicles and I would be pissed off to be going through what you are.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I miss back in the day when my late Uncle Mike would come over on Sunday mornings (we lived two houses apart.) and fix biscuits and gravy. His gravy was awesome.
    Miss picking up the phone and calling my mom or going over to see how she was doing.

Most of all I miss Mrs IBM, the last 3.5 years has not been the same without her, the good morning kisses and good bye hugs when I left for work and returned, along with the normal husband & wife banter.

Getting old sucks. Enjoy every moment while you can, because one day it'll just be memories.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I miss back in the day when my late Uncle Mike would come over on Sunday mornings (we lived two houses apart.) and fix biscuits and gravy. His gravy was awesome.
    Miss picking up the phone and calling my mom or going over to see how she was doing.

Most of all I miss Mrs IBM, the last 3.5 years has not been the same without her, the good morning kisses and good bye hugs when I left for work and returned, along with the normal husband & wife banter.

Getting old sucks. Enjoy every moment while you can, because one day it'll just be memories.

My sincere condolences.

My Dad often said, getting old ain't for wimps. He was right.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I miss spending summers in north carolina at gammys house. She would have bacon cooked and 3 types of homemade cookies waiting for me . We would go to the park and feed the ducks and ride the train till the sun went down . The good old days long gone . I told her before she passed how much those times meant to me.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    just changed the battery in the lexus it’s in the trunk also and had to go to dealer to buy battery!
    I guess they think luxury car owners dont like to get their hands dirty too. Jokes on them ill throw an sbc in it and make it work.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Funny my stepdads line was getting old ain’t for the weak! Had his first surgery at 77. Somehow I find that impressive. He beat esophagus cancer but lost to multiple myeloma which is cancer of the blood.

It is impressive. My condolences for your loss. Old guys seem to have learned a thing or two along the way.

"The mortality rate on Earth is right around 100%. What are you willing to die for?"

To this day, it is one of the best questions my Dad would bring up and ask me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom