• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I miss going to a little diner in Dyer called the dog house with my mom. I’m night people and so was she, I’d look at her at 11pm sometimes and say “dog house?” We’d get in the car and go get a snack together.
    Mom and I once went to Denny's in Merrillville at 3 am for strawberry waffles. I wouldn't be caught dead in Merrillville at 3 am now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This may just be the summation of the thread.

I miss the anticipation of being with masculine men in my childhood and being there for the culmination of the day. It might be cleaning pig stalls with a pitch fork or hunting and cleaning the game, it was all the same, a boy with the men, real men, that were honest and lived by a code. A code long gone. A code subscribed by an elite few here. I try my best to live by that code today, and any that have done business with me can attest to that end.

I try to look at everything through the prism of wisdom they taught me and do my best to pass it on to those in my influence.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I miss the anticipation of being with masculine men in my childhood and being there for the culmination of the day. It might be cleaning pig stalls with a pitch fork or hunting and cleaning the game, it was all the same, a boy with the men, real men, that were honest and lived by a code. A code long gone. A code subscribed by an elite few here. I try my best to live by that code today, and any that have done business with me can attest to that end.

I try to look at everything through the prism of wisdom they taught me and do my best to pass it on to those in my influence.
    Many of the same influences in my youth.
    All of those men are gone now.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Could be the summation of the thread, but it's not the point of the thread.

The point of the the thread is "Yesterday".

The question is, what do you want to spend your life working on that makes your days worth remembering?

PS: It is a good question asked of me by a wise old man.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Two of my uncles built and raced a stock car every year. Dad would go over to the garage and help, I'd get a stool, a pail of solvent and parts to clean... and get to listen to adult conversations about the world. All to a background soundtrack of Waylon, Dolly, Cole...

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Going to the u-pick strawberry patch with mom. Guy always joked about weighing me going in and coming out. Picking strawberries til I ached, my fingers and mouth were red... but then had mom's strawberry preserves for another year. Mmmmm...

Occasionally, she'd buy grape jelly, I think just for the jars because it would just sit in the fridge hardly used til it fermented because there was always some strawberry.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Going fishing with dad, especially when I was really young and we fished from the bank before he could afford a jon boat. Thinking how cool it was that I caught more fish than him... then when I got a little older, realizing he put me on the honey holes so I would learn to love fishing.

Ok, I'll give someone else a turn....

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Going to the u-pick strawberry patch with mom. Guy always joked about weighing me going in and coming out. Picking strawberries til I ached, my fingers and mouth were red... but then had mom's strawberry preserves for another year. Mmmmm...

We must of went to the same place, either that or all those guys back then had the same joke. Actually iirc he said on the way out "I knew I should have weighed you on the way in".

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I miss the lack of choice. I was happier when I only had my favorite radio station to listen to instead of spending 10 minutes going through a list of playlists to figure out what I’m going to listen to on the 5 minute drive coming up. I miss the excitement of finding out that one of your favorite movies was going to be on TV next week. Now, I can watch it any time I want and there’s no excitement in that.

I miss going out and not being tethered to a phone where at any moment someone can call and will get ticked if I don’t answer. I miss having one, and only one car to drive. And, that one sucked so I just drove it places and didn’t give a crap about whether it was due for wax, was going to get rained on if I just waxed it or any of the other stupid things we waste time worrying about.

Excess choice is not the great thing that everyone thinks it is.

I know, I could just toss my phone in the river, sell the sports car and live with my truck and listen to the radio. I’m getting there. It’s a slow process to disengage yourself from a possession focused modern world.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I miss the lack of choice. I was happier when I only had my favorite radio station to listen to instead of spending 10 minutes going through a list of playlists to figure out what I’m going to listen to on the 5 minute drive coming up. I miss the excitement of finding out that one of your favorite movies was going to be on TV next week. Now, I can watch it any time I want and there’s no excitement in that.

I miss going out and not being tethered to a phone where at any moment someone can call and will get ticked if I don’t answer. I miss having one, and only one car to drive. And, that one sucked so I just drove it places and didn’t give a crap about whether it was due for wax, was going to get rained on if I just waxed it or any of the other stupid things we waste time worrying about.

Excess choice is not the great thing that everyone thinks it is.

I know, I could just toss my phone in the river, sell the sports car and live with my truck and listen to the radio. I’m getting there. It’s a slow process to disengage yourself from a possession focused modern world.
    We have been letting things go steadily for a few years but the gun safe stay's full.....go figure.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I miss fishing with my step-dad. Hell, I miss fishing period. My late elementary years all the way through HS we lived "on" a 70 acre lake. I'd come home from work or school and either go swimming or go fishing. Many a day were filled when a buddy would come over and we'd actually be able to get the canoe down with all our gear. I could carry it myself, but I couldn't carry it + the gear. And I was too fearful that someone would steal the goods if I had to make two trips (Our house was immediately adjacent to the boat launch and parking lot).

I miss being across the county road from a huge wooded lot - that no one was ever in save hunting season. I was in trespassing in those woods a lot.

I miss riding my bike the 6 miles to Jason's house with my fishing pole tied to my bike. We'd fish in the wide spots in the creek at the culverts. And I also miss utilizing single black cat fireworks in an unwise manner on the things we caught.

I miss staying up way too late playing Super Mario Brothers on the original Nintendo on an old B&W television. Totally muted because my mom could hear gnats fart.

I miss borrowing my dad's Corvette. Some Friday afternoons, he'd drive it to the school parking lot and find my car. Then he'd back my car out, pull his in. Then drop the keys off @ the office for me. I'd get the 'Vette to drive after school for a few hours. It did not, in fact, get me any girls what-so-ever. Literally zero. Oh well. Was still fun - and I only almost killed myself one time.

I miss being able to call and talk with my dad when I'd take work breaks. I wish now that I'd called and talked with him more.

I miss summer vacations with my dad to visit my aunt (his sister) and uncle in Georgia. They've both recently passed away now, too. I do still have a cousin (and her family) down there, so the link to GA isn't totally gone. What is, though, is the link to Lake Lanier. So many hours spent bank fishing for crappie and carp from their friend's property.

I miss being alone, too. As weird as that sounds. Not like I want to be alone all the time... But I was alone for so many years before I married and had kids, it was fully 100% engrained in me. Going out to eat alone...big fan. Going to the movies alone...big fan. Going to the mall alone? Big fan.

I miss my 1990 Buick LeSabre 2-door.

I miss my college life and college friends. I speak on the phone with exactly 1 of them now. And that's once every year or so. Only manage to see him 1x or 2x per year, too. I do text with a handful more but not many, and not much. Life changes us all. Not good or bad, just changes. Priorities change. Geographies change.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Days when the weather forecast called for a little rain, snow, wind, and cold...... and the weatherman didn't keep repeating it every 15 minutes as if the world was ending.
    Yeah, there was talk of declaring a state of emergency for our 8-10" of snow last weekend. Come on. It was January in northwest Indiana. 8-10" of snow is an inconvenience, not a natural disaster.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom