• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Spiders and snakes don't bother me a bit.

Bridges and narrow roads. Or narrow bridges. The only panic attack I have ever had was on the freeway in San Francisco, where there are multiple tiers of highway way up in the sky like concrete spaghetti. 2 foot guardrail, no shoulder, hundreds of feet in the air, traffic moving 60 mph. Had no choice but to keep going, even though everything in me was telling me to stop.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    After I was in the hopsicle last year, I had trouble logging in, among other things. It was mostly just bewildering. We do have ALS in the family; me from my mom's side, my son from both. That would suck, but I don't get all wadded up about it. Where do you sign up to test the dirty mental implants?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I used to think I had a fear of small spaces. Then, when I first got my aircraft mechanics license back in the '80s, I got a job working for the Navy at Alameda on the P3 Orion overhaul line. On my first night on the job, they were assigning jobs and I was praying not to be assigned to fuel tanks and wings. The idea of climbing inside of a wing scared me and I knew I'd get stuck and need to be cut out. Sure enough, they assigned me to the wing/fuel tank group. I figured I'd have to either climb in or go home, so I went out to the wind and climbed up into one of the tank access holes and worked my way back and forth through the ribs towards the tip. Once I got to a pretty tight spot, I looked around and relaxed and realized I was fine. I climbed backwards back and forth through the ribs back to the entry point and never thought I was claustrophobic again.

Now days, it's a fear of falling. Not so much heights, just falling. The Skywalk at the Sears Tower did nothing to me and was kind of a let down, but the idea of walking a plank between two buildings 2 stories up gives me the creeps.

I'm also not a big fan of spiders, but can live with them if need be.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Driving into murky water. I grew up in Hartford City but my parents also had a farm outside of Markle. We had to take HWY 3 to get there. Along the way there was an area called lost lakes that always had slimy water on both sides of the road. During times of high stress I used to dream of driving or falling into the water. I never drowned in my dreams but was always highly distressed trying to get out of the water.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not a big fan of burning alive.
    I guess workin at a steel mill was a mistake.
    But I've only been on fire once so I should be ok.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'm not scared of much...

I love boating, clear water or muddy water, doesn't matter... but I am creeped out by things I see in the water, like stumps and sunken things.

I also won't swim in murky water, must be clear.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Aside from something happening to my family, my biggest fear is helicopters. Seriously. Not flying, but the machine itself. They have terrified me since I can remember. Lucky me I live right on a flight path a few miles away from the downtown heliport. I've been known to run inside the house and/or hit the deck when I hear one. Also not a big fan of bugs (except "cute" ones...ladybugs, butterflies, lightning bugs, roly polys), especially flying ones. I will scream like a little girl and run over a cicada. Spiders? Nope, we're cool. They don't bother me a bit

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The open water with miles below to the bottom.

I wonder about that a bit while sailing or diving. We did a wall dive that went down quite a ways and I kept pondering what would happen if a big down current came through and blasted me down. I'm sure I could puff up and float, but still... I picture the boat hovering above the ocean floor. It's not really a phobia, but I consider it.

I have an irrational fear of things shooting up from the garbage disposal and whacking my eye. I generally have something between the opening and my face as a shield. We get all kinds of crap down in there from the kids tossing things in the sink.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Spiders and snakes don't bother me a bit.

Bridges and narrow roads. Or narrow bridges. The only panic attack I have ever had was on the freeway in San Francisco, where there are multiple tiers of highway way up in the sky like concrete spaghetti. 2 foot guardrail, no shoulder, hundreds of feet in the air, traffic moving 60 mph. Had no choice but to keep going, even though everything in me was telling me to stop.

o-SAN-FRANCISCO-BAY-BRIDGE-facebook.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Not bad because it's six lanes wide. If I stay near the center, I can't see over the edge. :)

This is more what I'm talking about. I don't know if it's even SF, but you get the idea. I'll take bugs or snakes over this any day. This terrifies me.

stock-photo-aerial-view-of-the-mini-stack-interchange-97331903.jpg

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Phobias: Entertaining at our home... I need space and like to just do my own thing. The mention of a get-together at our house usually sends me into a panic. Heights.
    Other than that, the usual things most of us fear. Dying, serious injury or illness to myself or loved ones.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not scared of much...

I love boating, clear water or muddy water, doesn't matter... but I am creeped out by things I see in the water, like stumps and sunken things.

I also won't swim in murky water, must be clear.

I'm more worried about the things I don't see. DoggyMama always gives me a hard time when I'm looking for a place to anchor and swim off the boat because I want the water to be at least 15 or 20 feet deep. I don't want to touch bottom.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Clostrophobia - I can ride elevators, but dont stick me in a tube... and it actually affects me with swimming, too. I enjoy water, but i cant do the enveloped feeling of going under water
    also ladders. once I get to the height i'm going to on a ladder, i'm fine. I could run around on a roof all day... but getting TO the roof. hate it.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Not bad because it's six lanes wide. If I stay near the center, I can't see over the edge. :)

This is more what I'm talking about. I don't know if it's even SF, but you get the idea. I'll take bugs or snakes over this any day. This terrifies me.

stock-photo-aerial-view-of-the-mini-stack-interchange-97331903.jpg
    They have crazy soaring overpasses everywhere in Texas. I'm not one to get the shakes on bridges, but some of them are pretty intimidating when you're going 70 on the uppermost deck.

Top Bottom