• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danowen12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2024
    Greenwood
    What’s y’all’s thoughts on the kel tec su16? Thinking of getting the C model so that I can have a 556 rifle in my truck that can fold up. Has anyone ran one of these rifles?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another welcome. Make sure you stop by the introductions section and say hi.

As to the rifle, just make sure you don’t leave it in the truck all the time. (Unless it’s in a locked vault) too many guns stolen from cars. IMPD says on average a little over 1 gun a week is stolen from cars in the Indy area. Some are even from unlocked cars. :facepalm:

There is a reason gun safes don’t have windows.

Hope someone comes along with the direct answer you were expecting. Good luck!

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    To answer your question; I have looked at them as well, but decided to stick to an AR pistol. The Kel-Tecs are relatively expensive, and of course require a lot of proprietary parts. I own a few Kel-Tec products, and they have always been reliable guns. I just couldn't see any advantage to the SU16 over an AR.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What’s y’all’s thoughts on the kel tec su16? Thinking of getting the C model so that I can have a 556 rifle in my truck that can fold up. Has anyone ran one of these rifles?
    My nephew has a SU16c, and it's a very light rifle which is a plus, and the accuracy wasn't bad, but could have been much better with the 75-77gr bullets than the M193 he had to shot that day.
    I liked the way it folded up even with a 30rd magazine in it. Great lightweight scout/backpack, hiking rifle.
    I haven't seen one for sale around my area for years. Do they still make them?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I looked at them when they came out, and like all KT products they are interesting, and innovative. They are light, and compact, and depending on the version you get, don't look like an evil black gun. If that is what you want, and find it for a good price, buy it. I own, and have owned a few KT's, and being weird, I like them, and think George Kelgren is an out of the box thinker, who says "hold my beer we're making a .308 rifle out of plastic, and a 9mm carbine that folds in half, and is accurate, oh, and while we're at it, screw it, lets make a 5.7 PISTOL using the FN 50 mags, because...we can.. Beach plastic? ok, thats fine, my KT's work..Even S&W uses (borrows) his ideas......M&P 12, FPC.....

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That's nuts.

I'd go with an AR-15 over that. Build one with a pencil barrel, and keep it as light as possible to mimic the weight if possible.
    My knockoff WWSD with an aluminum rail weighs practically nothing. I'd take it over the KT any day, folding or not.

The SU16 is an old, old gun now. Probably seemed like a bargain before you could get a KP15 complete lower for like $100-something and a pencil upper to go with it for several hundred less than the KT.

Top Bottom