Why does FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL need this ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    How about DoE's IFVs with the miniguns at Oak Ridge?

Oak Ridge security officer struck by bullet fragments when Gatling gun malfunctions | Frank Munger's Atomic City Underground | knoxnews.com

9/11! Oh, here are your toys.

dillonaero.jpg
    Federal DOE is WAY above my pay grade. They are sensitive about their nuclear facilities. They are security and have no arrest powers that I am aware of. Perimeter security. I would not classify them as LEO's.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Stop the presses!

Denny, you made some very good points that I hadn't considered.

That said, do you guys understand at all our concern about how commonplace military-type tactics equipment and uniforms might affect the way police perform their duties?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I really can't think of the need for the "Peacemaker" and its belt fed .50 cal.

serveandprotect.jpg

Sheriff Lott's New Toy - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Peacemaker=armored vehicle=OK. Armored vehicles should remain unarmed other than the occupants inside. They are to transport personnel into/out of a dangerous environment. They are a vehicle...maybe scary but a vehicle none-the-less. It can no more hurt you than any other vehicle, it would have to run you over.
    Belt-fed machine gun I cannot/will not defend. That is scary. But it would be great fun at the range :D...you buy the ammo. I think this photo does us more harm than good. Belt-fed machine gun and all the guys pointing their rifles at the camera...UGH.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Stop the presses!

That said, do you guys understand at all our concern about how commonplace military-type tactics equipment and uniforms might affect the way police perform their duties?
    Indeed. I just posted a response above that might clarify my position.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    As stated, I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with logical oversight of monies spent and/or equipment obtained. Punishing someone for the actions of someone else isn't logical.
    Punishing? Who's on trial? I thought we were talking about budgets and enforcement policies.

Nobody's punishing you. Police shouldn't feel entitled to receive the coolest model of vehicle to drive around. The community provides equipment that they can justify in their city and in their budget. This provision is subject to constant scrutiny.

Like Public Servant said, if you want a tank, go buy one yourself.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Governmental employees are not using IFVs to protect themselves but to take down chicken breeders. Something that can be done by Barney Fife, but then there are no cool toys to play with.;)

Easy, Stallone, you don't need the toys, you need the rationalization . . . Chinese star . . .

article-1369596-0B5272EA00000578-105_468x286.jpg

looks like iron and wheels to me, wheres the turret? wheres the TOW missle?...should we ban "Assualt Clips" from LE also?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Uncle Mike, yes, that is THE Steven Seagal raiding perp that committed crimes against chickens. Instead of using Aikido martial arts, he drove through a wall with a tank.

It made news all around the world and not just the Reason magazine article I cited earlier.

Check out the video with the reinforced AFV platoon. Is that First Cav? No, it's the Sheriff!:laugh:

Steven Seagal goes under siege to bust cockfighting ring | Media | guardian.co.uk

Here's the Daily Mail where I read about the Sheriff and the Hollywood actor with the tank, protecting his citizens by overrunning some chickens.:D Take that, chicken, stay down, stay down!

Protecting our community by intimidating farm animals!:draw:

SWAT team, armoured vehicles and Steven Segal in Arizona cockfighting raid | Mail Online
    Apparently they didn't want to risk Mr Segals life using him in a heavily armed confrontation. ;)

The government should be required to defend everything they do continually.

Magic words such as "9/11" or "officer safety" should not shortcut scrutiny of their budgets or their actions.
    Yup!!
    That'll keep the Attorneys rolling in dough!! :rolleyes:

And now you're opposed to defending our Nuclear Power plants with whatever means are at our disposal??? :n00b:
    How about if we just train the guards to use unusually harsh language against any saboteurs that show up to blow the plants to smithereens.
    That'll teach em. :laugh:

Tax money is money procured by violence. It's expenditure must be a big deal.

IFVs represent the militiarization of our police, something that merits consideration.

IFVs will be misused on the citizens and on the chickens.
    Again you seem awfully sure that this will happen.
    (This must be some insider Attorney information that the rest of us aren't smart enough to handle. :()
    Honestly, if i had insider Cop information that the Government was actively plotting to take away all rights and put every dissenter in a concentration camp, I'd share it with INGO.
    So may we be privy to your secret source for this ominous prediction? :)

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have yet to hear your plan of action if our armored vehicles and SWAT are removed. You seem to speak with authority, please enlighten me.

We can talk about SWAT. I'm not personally against SWAT.

Toys, not so hot on. The concept of SWAT, not really upset about (deployment against failure to appear for Minor in a Tavern, no).

My plan of action if your toys are gone? Well, you walk up to the door of the chicken breeder, knock on the door and serve the search warrant or arrest the chicken farmer, depending on what the court order says. Make Hollywood wait at the station.

QUESTION: How should I approach a position with one or more shooters firing 7.62x39, pinning me behind cover or worse yet, my patrol car? How would you have rescued the wounded in the Hollywood shootout while under fire?

:dunno:

I woudldn't be doing stuff that got me shot at by multiple people with carbines.

If you are referencing the Hollywood shootout of 1997 in California, the police shot the bank robbers who were shooting at them. That seems an effective response.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Stop the presses!

firemen wear adges, BDU's and helmets too....beware

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Peacemaker=armored vehicle=OK. Armored vehicles should remain unarmed other than the occupants inside. They are to transport personnel into/out of a dangerous environment. They are a vehicle...maybe scary but a vehicle none-the-less. It can no more hurt you than any other vehicle, it would have to run you over.
    Belt-fed machine gun I cannot/will not defend. That is scary. But it would be great fun at the range :D...you buy the ammo. I think this photo does us more harm than good. Belt-fed machine gun and all the guys pointing their rifles at the camera...UGH.

Sure, until you strap an LRAD to the top and drive it down Main St.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I woudldn't be doing stuff that got me shot at by multiple people with carbines.

If you are referencing the Hollywood shootout of 1997 in California, the police shot the bank robbers who were shooting at them. That seems an effective response.
    Oh good lord. Read it nice and S L O W ...IF YOU WERE ME, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE? I guess you missed the part where the police commandeered an armored vehicle and rescued those that were bleeding to death (police and non-police alike) while taking fire. BTW, one shot himself in the head and the other died while waiting for an ambulance. He bled out.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You can quabble over WHO has the equipment all you want, you're still advocating against having access to legitimate equipment simply because someone MAY misuse it, and that it looks scary. It's the same argument the Brady campaign uses, plain and simple. There isn't much else I can say about this topic.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    You mean like traffic stops and serving warrants?

exaggeration much?

Statistically speaking, how often are officers shot at during routine traffic stops and warrant services? I wonder if that data has ever been compiled? Probably not, but I thik it'd make an interesting study.

Top Bottom