• Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    mosin-nagant

The Mosin-nagant is an old school bolt action rifle from Russia. Originally designed by a drunk Russian engineer and an even more drunk Belgian gunsmith, who drew up blueprints on napkins in the back of a pub somewhere in Siberia in a vodka-induced stupor. The Mosin-nagant fires the 7.62x54r cartridge, which can kill a polar bear at a thousand yards and keep going right through the tree he was standing in front of. The Mosin-nagant was used by the Russians in both world wars, so it's killed more Germans than collisions on the autobahn and under-cooked sauerkraut combined. Surplus Mosins can be found at gunshops in the States for like a hundred bucks on sale, and ammo is cheap surplus, so this is what real men shoot who don't want to drop $1299.99 on an AR-15 which fires a .22 round and that's made out of recycled milk jugs and Legos. Many of them come with a bayonet that's roughly the size of the sword William Wallace used in Braveheart. In the absence of gun oil, you can clean a Mosin by pissing down the barrel and wiping the bolt off with a dirty rag that you found on the floor in a Grease Monkey. Try that with a rifle that was designed less than 50 years ago.

Joe: " I need a rifle that is ten feet long and fires anti-tank rounds, but Ive only got 200 dollars!"

Ivan: "Amerikan comrade, you need mosin-nagant . Spend 100 on the rifle, fifty on case of ammo, use rest for vodka!"

Urban Dictionary: mosin-nagant

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Describes my two Mosins perfectly!

Oh! I found a new use for the Mosin bayonet. I used it to chop the ice in the parking lot to clear a path to my car. Several times I ran the bayonet horizontally under two inch thick ice and lifted it up of the ground. Works like a charm.

CAUTION: Just don't use it around the tires on your vehicles; makes a hell of a big hole in a tire.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Yeah, pretty funny. But the hitting a polar bear at 1000 yds, hope that is one dinosaur sized polar bear, especially if using that cheap surplus ammo.
    I had to go look at the Mosin sights, the '44 I have is marked for 1000 meters and the 91/30's stretch it to 2K. So yea turn of the Century Polar Bears and commercial airline flights were never safe. :D

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I had to go look at the Mosin sights, the '44 I have is marked for 1000 meters and the 91/30's stretch it to 2K. So yea turn of the Century Polar Bears and commercial airline flights were never safe. :D

Not meters..Arshins (I think)! It may be that by the 40s, the metric system was in use.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Not meters..Arshins (I think)! It may be that by the 40s, the metric system was in use.
    Well I'll be, learned something today! So it looks like one Ruskie Arshin comes out in the wash at 7/10's of a meter and 8/10's of a yard just using round numbers on conversion scales.

Bottom line, set that old 91 at the 2K mark and hoist it to the shoulder~ your aiming for the horizon! :)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

They swicthed over to meters not too long after their civil war was settled, I think late 20s. Most 91/30s are in meters, even if most wont shoot beyond 400-500m very accurately.

In all reality, most rifles of that era were made with sights set for crazy long distances, and most miltary rifles were not that precise.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    They swicthed over to meters not too long after their civil war was settled, I think late 20s. Most 91/30s are in meters, even if most wont shoot beyond 400-500m very accurately.

In all reality, most rifles of that era were made with sights set for crazy long distances, and most miltary rifles were not that precise.
    If the sights are graduated up to 1000, or 2000 they are metric then? The older sights were marked up to what? I used to know these things..cannot remember anymore.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    The sights were for that far because of the use of volley fire. I'm not even sure if that was a common use for the rifle, but it was set up to be able to do just that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom