• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Thanks again to each of you for your further input.

Mike,
    By miracle a new job opportunity has come my way so I may take you up on a range meet in the next few months and then introduce the wife to this later.

Ditto,
    I get what you're saying. The post that you quoted truly had nothing to do with firearms. What I was responding to was a generality in my generation (20-35) in which men feel that they are not responsible to their spouses for their decisions. I sensed that in some of the previous responses and wanted to call that out. That is not to say it is "typical" or even common of men in my generation - just that I've noticed it. I would call myself religious, but not entirely devout. I truly believe that a marriage is between a man, woman, and God...not the JoP. Thus, when decisions are made that offend the spouse, one also offends the marriage, and God. THAT was the message of my post: respect marriage as a union, not as a combination of beliefs or a test of will. I'll definitely be sticking around on the forum not just because those misguided people are few amongst the crowd but more so because the majority of the posts here have been 'union'-reflective and appropriate. This forum has a lot to offer. I only hope that my contributions are commensurate.

ChurchMouse,
    I concede that the SR9C at Christmas was a stupid idea. But I do want to refute the concept that the M4 is a selfish idea. If we were the victims of a home invasion and I had the option of a 12Ga or an M4: I'd absolutely go for the 12Ga. But if I wasn't home, I'm FAR more confident that my wife could get a second, third or twelfth round out of an M4 over the recoil of a 12Ga. Also, the 12Ga I'm looking at (Mossberg FLEX 590) has a 9 rd capacity. Other options less than that! I'd like to think that I would be capable of fending off at least 4 assailants with 9 rounds but I'd never put my wife in that position. I know that she could learn to send out rounds quickly and accurately with an M4 without "bruise breaks" that a 'tactical' shotgun may require during the learning process. I know that some will contend that in a home invasion situation 9 rounds of bird shot are more influential than 30 rounds of 5.56 but I wholeheartedly disagree. Impact is half perception and half reality. Quantity is everything. Perhaps due to the job opportunity mentioned above the home-defense-by-wife won't be an issue at all....not to say I'm going to cancel the order for the DDMK18. =)

-Dobber

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I read the first two pages, so if this has been covered forgive me.

From the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like she's anti-gun as much as anti-you-spending-money-on-guns while the family is growing and the money may be needed in other others. That's a valid concern, especially dropping the cash for an SBR. That's really overkill, frankly. Cool, yes, but overkill. I don't know (or care) what your finances are, but I bet you if you had a frank and honest talk she's seeing other uses for that money.

Picking up a cheap used pump shotgun would accomplish the same thing for far less money. Could there possibly be some situation where an SBR will save the day and a shotty won't? I suppose you could concoct some such, yes, but the reality is that's a real tiny chance vs the very real chance of a pissed off spouse if there is no compromise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good choice in the Mossburg. I have a 590 and a 930 with mag extensions.
    Just be patient with the little woman. Sounds like she may well be a good partner.
    If you were not so far away I would let you run one of my AR's at the range but the bend is a long roll for either of us. Now that I think of your location (the bend) I understand your mind set.

Be well. Be safe.

Tim...aka...churchmouse

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Some great advise about being patient and let her come around in her own time. pushing will only result in more friction. If she is not against it completely then there is a good chance that she will come around with time.

What ever the outcome you both have to come to the agreement together. If not the resentment will build in one of you until it is too much to deal with. As you stated marriage is a covenant between you, your wife and God. When you put yourself above the other two, you are turning your back on everything you agreed to when you got married. Not a popular opinion these days but true none the less.

Top Bottom