• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It's clear that you're not really interested in legitimate discourse, so, I'm done here. You consider mask requirements a legitimate exercise of school authority over students. I don't. So be it.
    Sure I'm interested in legitimate discourse. I consider that the health and safety of students while they are in school can be a legitimate exercise of school authority. You seem to as well, as long as it's something you agree with. And yes mask requirements could be one. I don't believe they generally work, but that doesn't change the fact that the "govt" says they are a good idea. The school are providing remote learning so if the students/parents don't want them masked they do have an alternative.

Today she was told how uneducated she is and basically called stupid.
    so remember fellas before you call your schools. The girl that answers the phone doesn’t make the freakin rules. And that applies in about 99 % of cases.
    Agreed.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wife has already had one kid pulled over it. She can't wear a mask all day (even though Kirk says shes lying and making up her lack of breath) and wears a shield. Some of the teachers were concerned "for her" that she wasn't taking "necessary precautions". Shes in the same boat I am. SS Idontgivea****anymore

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Wife has already had one kid pulled over it. She can't wear a mask all day (even though Kirk says shes lying and making up her lack of breath) and wears a shield. Some of the teachers were concerned "for her" that she wasn't taking "necessary precautions". Shes in the same boat I am. SS Idontgivea****anymore

that’s why I’ve tried to tel many people that they shouldn’t even be wearing a mask all day without a doctor evaluation. My dad almost passed out at his lung doctor because he had to wear one. Lol all while having COPD. He has a hard time breathing without the stupid thing. Much less with it.

I have to have a yearly fit test and evaluation or I can lose my job.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The school that started this conversation is in CA. There is a state mandate there.

My daughter's school is the same, the reason given for the masks on the bus is federal requirements for public transportation. School buses are "public transportation".
    Their father determined it violated their beliefs. Yeah, sure it was their idea. :rolleyes:

“The Bible says we’re made in the image of God and Satan tries to cover that up. A mask is a sign of oppression,” Nelson said Thursday.
    Fine, then take off all your clothes and show what God created.
    “If it was Muslim, Jewish or something of a more high-profile minority religion in this country, yes, they would have accommodated ... just to say they weren’t discriminating based on that religion. But they feel safe because it’s Christianity.”
    No, it's not. That's because Muslims and Jews don't share your sense of entitlement.

Jewish students can wear Yarmulkes and Muslims students can wear Burkas because it's clearly written into their religious text*. You twins have just tried to exploit a loophole for your own politics.

Victoria said standing up for her principles has not been easy.
    It's just that - your principles. It's NOT your religion.

This cherry-picking of the Bible to support your freedumb raises my hackles.

* Edit: turns out not so clearly written in their holy scripture, but a widely traditional and in many cases mandatory practice.

Still a far cry from what the Boppsey Twins are claiming.

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    What is this "cherry picking" from the Bible? It seems to me whenever I see anybody refer to the scriptures or to any religious text for that matter, they always refer to a small portion of the whole text. That is just how it is done. Surely you don't want somebody to post the entire Bible on here.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Their father determined it violated their beliefs. Yeah, sure it was their idea. :rolleyes:
    Could have been their idea. Their father was the one giving the interview. Can you point out where it says that their father is the one who determined it?
    Fine, then take off all your clothes and show what God created.
    "Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves."

If you would like I could also cite several verses about modesty in dress.
    No, it's not. That's because Muslims and Jews don't share your sense of entitlement.

Jewish students can wear Yarmulkes and Muslims students can wear Burkas because it's clearly written into their religious text. You twins have just tried to exploit a loophole for your own politics.
    Really? Actually neither one is written into their religious texts. Yarmulkes are worn to remind that God is watching, it is not required from the Torah or other religious texts. It comes from a story about a mother who's son was prophesied to become a thief. She made him wear something on his head to remind him God was always watching.

And yeah, the Burka is not in the Quaran or any other religious texts. There are instructions to dress modestly.
    It's just that - your principles. It's NOT your religion.
    Perhaps her religion guides her principals. Or perhaps one of her principles is to follow her religion regardless of outcome.
    This cherry-picking of the Bible to support your freedumb raises my hackles.
    Not quite sure what to say about this.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Could have been their idea. Their father was the one giving the interview. Can you point out where it says that their father is the one who determined it?

"Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves."

If you would like I could also cite several verses about modesty in dress.

Really? Actually neither one is written into their religious texts. Yarmulkes are worn to remind that God is watching, it is not required from the Torah or other religious texts. It comes from a story about a mother who's son was prophesied to become a thief. She made him wear something on his head to remind him God was always watching.

And yeah, the Burka is not in the Quaran or any other religious texts. There are instructions to dress modestly.

Perhaps her religion guides her principals. Or perhaps one of her principles is to follow her religion regardless of outcome.

Not quite sure what to say about this.
    Freedom of religion is a lot like freedom of speech/expression, with respect to constitutional protection. That protection is meaningless when everyone agrees on what is appropriate exercise of the right. So, it really only matters/applies when there is disagreement about that exercise.

Jetta disagrees with this family's expression and exercise of their religious freedom. He's allowed to disagree. However, he's not allowed to dictate to that family how they exercise that freedom - and that includes dictating how they interpret their religious texts/scriptures and/or how they understand matters of their own conscience.

Sure, he can challenge their stated beliefs; he can even make fun of them for how they articulate/defend them. He just can't force them to act in a way that is contrary to their stated beliefs.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    that’s why I’ve tried to tel many people that they shouldn’t even be wearing a mask all day without a doctor evaluation. My dad almost passed out at his lung doctor because he had to wear one. Lol all while having COPD. He has a hard time breathing without the stupid thing. Much less with it.

I have to have a yearly fit test and evaluation or I can lose my job.
    Sorry, Master Kirk says your dad is lying. Masks don't do that.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Freedom of religion is a lot like freedom of speech/expression, with respect to constitutional protection. That protection is meaningless when everyone agrees on what is appropriate exercise of the right. So, it really only matters/applies when there is disagreement about that exercise.

Jetta disagrees with this family's expression and exercise of their religious freedom. He's allowed to disagree. However, he's not allowed to dictate to that family how they exercise that freedom - and that includes dictating how they interpret their religious texts/scriptures and/or how they understand matters of their own conscience.

Sure, he can challenge their stated beliefs; he can even make fun of them for how they articulate/defend them. He just can't force them to act in a way that is contrary to their stated beliefs.
    Can't really find much if anything to disagree with here.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    What I find funny is when I tell people if they really want to be protected they should be wearing n95 or better. Get you a half face respirator and some 3m 2097 filters. The reply is usually well I can’t breathe if I wear something like that. lol you mean almost like it’s actually filtering the air you breathe in.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    And still nobody has marketed the battery driven fanny packs to provide positive pressure with filtered air into a plastic hood. Coulda sold a gazillion of them.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    And still nobody has marketed the battery driven fanny packs to provide positive pressure with filtered air into a plastic hood. Coulda sold a gazillion of them.
    Masks don't protect, have never protected, and are not intended to protect the wearer from airborne viruses. The only purpose of masks is to mitigate the spread of virus-containing exhalation from the wearer - which is why it is absurd to require non-symptomatic people to wear masks, ever.

Top Bottom