• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    So let me ask this question; Do the blackouts REALLY affect ticket sales?

A person like myself who doesn't really care one way or the other isn't going to buy a ticket anyway. I will sit down and watch them on the tube if we are out somewhere and it's on but refuse to further the wants and needs of people playing a game and DEMANDING everything under the sun.

I have been to two games but both times it was as a result of a vendor providing the seats. Personally the only people I can see being "punished" by a blackout is the casual observer.

That's pretty much right on.

I disagree. Many people enjoy watching the games, but can't necessarily make the trip for any number of reasons.

It could be that someone can't afford the costs associated with attending in person. It could be that a person has a medical disability that prevents them from attending and enjoying a game. Some people actually have to work on Sunday game days. There are so many more examples, but you see the point.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't know which side the balance sheet falls on. I do know it isn't simple. Sports teams do add to the draw of a city. Maybe it brings young college grad jobs, because of some of these things. In the end, it is hard to tally up all the costs and benefits.

Personally, I don't think we are getting back as much as we are putting in.
    I hear we did well on revenue on the Super Bowl! (where's purple when needed?)
    I don't see how in the heck taxpayers can ever benefit from a sports team.
    New stadiums, jobs, all make the #s game look nice for politicians but is there a real benefit to a team in town? Other than civic pride for someone that really gives a shiitte

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The new stadium wasn't all about the Colts. They host conventions, band competitions, concerts, and other things in there. In reality, Colts only use LOS between eight and ten times a year for games.

::cough:: The RCA Dome, fka The Hoosier Dome was built specifically for an NFL franchise. It was more than big enough for conventions, band competitions, concerts, and other things in there.

The only reason for the construction of the field house, was to provide the Colts with an incentive for greater seating capacity, ergo admission revenue, to the tune of 5000 more tickets.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Name any other business industry that municipalities subsidize like professional sports. Let a huge corportation get a tax abatement and listen to the screams of corporations not paying their fair share. Many do not understand the difference between subsidies and abatements. A subsidy is where government gives money to an entity. An abatement is when a business pays less taxes.

I doubt I could find one. However, is there much difference between subsidies or abatements? Both are negative money flow (assuming the business would still come without the abatement.) The idea for an abatement is that more tax revenue will come in, due to increased employment and consumption of those employees. The same idea can be argued for the Colts. I don't totally buy it, but the argument can be made.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    ::cough:: The RCA Dome, fka The Hoosier Dome was built specifically for an NFL franchise. It was more than big enough for conventions, band competitions, concerts, and other things in there.

The only reason for the construction of the field house, was to provide the Colts with an incentive for greater seating capacity, ergo admission revenue, to the tune of 5000 more tickets.

And the tax created to fund that stadium is still collected, after the stadium has been torn down.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I doubt I could find one. However, is there much difference between subsidies or abatements? Both are negative money flow. The idea for an abatement is that more tax revenue will come in, due to increased employment and consumption of those employees. The same idea can be argued for the Colts. I don't totally buy it, but the argument can be made.

A local tax abatement upon what real property? The Colts don't own any.

Wal-Marts receive tax abatements all the time, and when said abatement come close to expiring, a cost-benefit analysis is performed to ascertain if it is beneficial to simply abandon the property and build another store a couple miles down the road to receive another abatement.

They both take money from taxpayers, with this difference: An abatement isn't as readily apparent to the municipal bottom line.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    And the tax created to fund that stadium is still collected, after the stadium has been torn down.

The taxpayers are still paying for the now demolished RCA Dome.....and will do so for another 9 years.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I don't know much about that sportsball game everyone's talking about here. Is this the one where you have to layup the birdy at the wicket before there are three outs to get a touchdown goal?

I don't know how you can tell if you've won without rolling d20... :dunno:

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Almost all sports teams/towns are bandwagon towns. People want to spend money to watch their team win not lose. Just the way it is. Some of us are fans even when we suck but most are not.

:cheers:

I still wish they had built an open air stadium. Football was meant to be played outdoors in whatever the elements happened to provide that day.

The typical Colts fan should look at the typical Green Bay and Chicago fan and feel shame.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    :cheers:

I still wish they had built an open air stadium. Football was meant to be played outdoors in whatever the elements happened to provide that day.

The typical Colts fan should look at the typical Green Bay and Chicago fan and feel shame.
    Amen! Having been to games in the dome and at Lambeau Field, there is NO comparison. I'll take outdoors every time.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    A local tax abatement upon what real property? The Colts don't own any.

Wal-Marts receive tax abatements all the time, and when said abatement come close to expiring, a cost-benefit analysis is performed to ascertain if it is beneficial to simply abandon the property and build another store a couple miles down the road to receive another abatement.

They both take money from taxpayers, with this difference: An abatement isn't as readily apparent to the municipal bottom line.

No wonder why this country is in such a financial mess. Please explain to me how an abatement takes money from taxpayers.

I'm thinking about building a factory. Every location I look at wants to rape me on taxes. City A offers to charge no property taxes or at a reduced rate. How is that taking money from taxpayers if the business was never there to begin with? I say to hell with it and those jobs are never brought in. Or if they do offer the abatement and I come, there are new jobs that will employ those who are unemployed, possibly bring in more people from out of state, or I create a shortage of employees. What happens when there's a shortage of employees? The price of labor goes up which means more money in peoples' pockets. Which means more tax revenue for local income taxes.

Now contrast that to a city increasing taxes and giving it to a corporation.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    No wonder why this country is in such a financial mess. Please explain to me how an abatement takes money from taxpayers. .........snip.

Because they consume governmental services, without the benefit of contributing to the tax base for said services.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Because they consume governmental services, without the benefit of contributing to the tax base for said services.

What services are those? Are they not paying utilities, etc? What has a better benefit to a local economy? A factory paying 1000+ people a good wage or a sports stadium that's open for 10 games a year?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    What services are those? Are they not paying utilities, etc? What has a better benefit to a local economy? A factory paying 1000+ people a good wage or a sports stadium that's open for 10 games a year?

Oh gee, just off the top of my head....

How about public safety? You know....Police, Fire, EMS, and Codes enforcement. Of course, there is road construction and maintenance......along with snow plowing, salt, and street lights. Then there are parks, sewers, flood plain management, and soil erosion control.

There are probably a few hundred things to consider. Okay?

Top Bottom