Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't know who my candidate will be yet. Won't be any of the turds in the gop, though. You guys have a whole slate of douche and turds. And you're seemingly happy with it. You folks are going to blissfully line up behind whatever knot head in this group shakes out and hand the election to the dems. All because you love tinfoil and jeebus. Keep deflecting, though.

You are claiming to be the smarter one here with a jab or a dig or a degrading name for all of the Republican candidates in this thread, titled as such. I just want to vote the same as the smarter one. Please tell me who to vote for...

:dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Don't know who my candidate will be yet. Won't be any of the turds in the gop, though. You guys have a whole slate of douche and turds. And you're seemingly happy with it. You folks are going to blissfully line up behind whatever knot head in this group shakes out and hand the election to the dems. All because you love tinfoil and jeebus. Keep deflecting, though.

Yep, 'cause when you pick someone from outside the beltway it's a disaster. Look how that Reagan thing turned out!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, he did.

From his book:

'At the end of my twelfth grade I marched at the head of the Memorial Day parade. I felt so proud, my chest bursting with ribbons and braids of every kind. To make it more wonderful, We had important visitors that day. Two soldiers who had won the Congressional Medal of Honor in Viet Nam were present. More exciting to me, General William Westmoreland (very prominent in the Viet Nam war) attended with an impressive entourage. Afterward, Sgt. Hunt introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point. I didn’t refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn’t where I saw myself going.'
    That was a lie, and his campaign admitted it. Now that it's news they're trying to walk it back and make him look better.

So about the "lie". A factually incorrect statement isn't a lie without some intent to deceive. Intentionally making more of something than the facts bear is deceptive.

So let's look at what we know. Carson's ghostwriter wrote in the book that Carson met Westmoreland around Memorial Day. Westmoreland was at home playing tennis and was not in Detroit at that time. So that account was factually incorrect.

The general wouldn't have offered a scholarship because any acceptance into West Point is a free ride anyway, except for the four year commitment to serve. There are no scholarships offered. Carson didn't apply and was never accepted. So that account was factually incorrect.

Carson may have attended another dinner where Westmoreland did attend months earlier. He may have conflated the two events in his mind. The ghostwriter did say he thought Carson's memory of the events was sketchy, which seems reasonable when trying to remember something that happened almost 30 years prior. Or, perhaps the ghostwriter and/or Carson decided that it would make a more dramatic point to merge the two events. It was, after all, supposed to be an inspirational kind of biography.

Did he even talk to Westmoreland personally? Possibly. Westmoreland talking to the top ROTC cadet in Detroit at a dinner held in Detroit doesn't seem like a far stretch.

About the "scholarship", I don't know. Did he lie? Or did a 17 year old kid misunderstand what was said, and memory of events 27 years later led to the story the way it was told?

So I guess what we're left with is, if you want to believe that Carson intentionally misled folks you can believe that, but you have to have faith that there was intentional deception. But that's okay MRJ, you get to believe things based on faith too.

However, for a serious news outlet to declare that Carson "fabricated" it, that is indeed intentionally making more of something than the facts bear. They backed off of their original headline for a reason. But it doesn't matter. The intended damage is done. They've provided the fodder for the faithful. Can't put that genie back in the bottle.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I can remember dating the prettiest girl in school on the weekend after I graduated in a borrowed Corvair. We went to the drive in. That was 49 years ago.

Now, is it possible that I wouldn't remember meeting THE general and two MOH winners when I was that age?

Not on a bet.

There is no need to apologize. He was caught telling a war story. His bad.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Who are you gonna vote for if your man Paul doesn't make it?

giphy.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can remember dating the prettiest girl in school on the weekend after I graduated in a borrowed Corvair. We went to the drive in. That was 49 years ago.

Now, is it possible that I wouldn't remember meeting THE general and two MOH winners when I was that age?

Not on a bet.

There is no need to apologize. He was caught telling a war story. His bad.

Who needs to apologize? The way it's looking, probably the politco reporter.

I remember a lot of details of when I first met my wife. I was with friends hanging out at the local pool hall. I can remember when I saw her. I remember what we talked about. I even remember what she was wearing. I couldn't even venture a guess what time of year it was.

Politico backed off of "fabricated" for a reason. Even David Axelrod called it "reporter overreach". The media took a thumping for trying to make this Carson's "Herman Cain" moment.

Westmoreland-gate, creation-gate, pyramid-gate. That's tabloid reporting. There are plenty of valid reasons to be weary of a Carson presidency. I worry a lot more about policy than the tabloid stories.

Rand needs to get his act together. I'm not liking anyone near the top at all.

Rand Paul is the candidate I most support. But I have moved past the belief that he has any chance. The people just aren't buying what he's selling. And he has proven to be a horrible salesman. It's clear that the Republican establishment hates him.

At least he'll make an appearance on the varsity stage for the next debate. I think it will only be an appearance though. The moderators will probably be wanting to spend most of their time picking apart Trump and Carson.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Last edited:

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Who are you gonna vote for if your man Paul doesn't make it?

I don't like Trump that much, but out of everyone in the race he'd be my 2nd choice, albeit a very distant 2nd. Everyone else left is just too socially statist for my blood. Continuing the war on drugs, meddling with people's personal lives, being too weak on the borders.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't like Trump that much, but out of everyone in the race he'd be my 2nd choice, albeit a very distant 2nd. Everyone else left is just too socially statist for my blood.

Interesting how somebody that supports government run health care and Kelo is considered less statist than the likes of Cruz and Jindle.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Rand Paul is the candidate I most support. But I have moved past the belief that he has any chance. The people just aren't buying what he's selling. And he has proven to be a horrible salesman. It's clear that the Republican establishment hates him.

At least he'll make an appearance on the varsity stage for the next debate. I think it will only be an appearance though. The moderators will probably be wanting to spend most of their time picking apart Trump and Carson.

Rand doesn't have a lot of supporters but the ones he has are very passionate about him and aren't as likely to switch allegiances. As long as they keep answering polls he'll be on the varsity stage.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hey, you guys thought up Trump as a front runner all on your own. You didn't need help from anyone else.

It is actually your side that has fueled Trumps popularity. You have been so successful at getting your way through whatever devious means it took to do it that it's finally catching up to you. Be careful what you wish for.;)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Ahhh, so democrats are responsible for the list of republican candidates. Cognitive dissonance amigo.

The conservatives control the party and refuse to look at moderate, electable republicans and then blame the democrats for the GOP factions?

That is remarkable. Perhaps this thread ought to be merged with the religion thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom