• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It seems like everything I look at where a lot of work was done and the price indicates it, I don't want because I can see it's not up to my standards so I'm paying for work done that I will have to rework.

So then I look at stuff that's lower priced and I mostly see very molested offerings.

I'm in a conundrum, lol. I need to find that sweet spot; reasonable price, unmolested, closer to original vs highly modified, so I can build it to my standards.
    It doesn't matter what kind of project we talk about, this is always an obstacle.
    I think some people just have a different set of standards for what they think is quality work. Then again, there are a lot of people who have an obscured opinion of what their real skill levels are.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Changing over from the 10,000th thread.

Not a squarebody, but I would consider this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-chevrolet-k1500/

Minimal, prime to add a V-8, like the no AC but maybe too far of a departure from my desired model. Preference is 2WD and of course 73-87.

I really need to come up with a search method and then how I will go get whatever I end up buying. My wife was telling me about someone at work who picked out a couple RV's down south and her and her husband were taking a couple vacation days to go buy one of them. She said that is what I should do to get a truck.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Not a squarebody, but I would consider this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-chevrolet-k1500/

Minimal, prime to add a V-8, like the no AC but maybe too far of a departure from my desired model. Preference is 2WD and of course 73-87.

I really need to come up with a search method and then how I will go get whatever I end up buying. My wife was telling me about someone at work who picked out a couple RV's down south and her and her husband were taking a couple vacation days to go buy one of them. She said that is what I should do to get a truck.
    That thing is clean. Mine is a 94 fleetside shortbed 4.3 auto and it has been a fantastic truck. If it was a fleetside I would surely be bidding on it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lose all the decals and roll marks and I would daily that. Seriously.
    I suppose if I go down a road of a project car, I should consider not being resistant to computer controlled engine systems and just suck it up and learn it.

Who knows, it could end up being easier/better than tuning carbs with a "screwdriver."

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That thing is clean. Mine is a 94 straight side shortbed 4.3 auto and it has been a fantastic truck. If it was a fleetside I would surely be bidding on it.
    Oh, and I am a stepside fan! My grail would be a 1978 2WD, stepside. But a fleetside is more than good enough. I like those to. I just have a lot of memories riding in a friends stepside through my high school and college years.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Oh, and I am a stepside fan! My grail would be a 1978 2WD, stepside. But a fleetside is more than good enough. I like those to. I just have a lot of memories riding in a friends stepside through my high school and college years.
    Oh I'm a stepside fan as well, but it would have to perform truck duty as well for me. I still have my trailer though so it would still work

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I suppose if I go down a road of a project car, I should consider not being resistant to computer controlled engine systems and just suck it up and learn it.

Who knows, it could end up being easier/better than tuning carbs with a "screwdriver."
    No just different with more choices.
    I love driving a 3 peddle car with the "Switch" that engages around 3 to 3500K on the tach. The point where.....if you build it correctly.....the induction and valve timing hit that sweet spot and set the drive train from stun to kill. CP was talking about this with one of his many short-term acquisitions. It was carbureted if memory serves.
    I love the switch. I grew up working around that part of engine building and tuning. The younger generation did not and understandably do not enjoy it.
    Under certain conditions...especially on a motorcycle engine, you can see the reversion around the mouth of the carb/carbs where the atomized fuel fogs just outside the venturis until the engine achieves the right RPM where valve timing overlap is not a factor, and the fuel is sucked in, and everything runs north screaming. That is the switch.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Just be mindful of what you want performance wise. Some of the older computer stuff is getting pretty hard to get "tuned". They're not done with laptops like the newer stuff. They work pretty good if you want stock or slightly warmed up.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just be mindful of what you want performance wise. Some of the older computer stuff is getting pretty hard to get "tuned". They're not done with laptops like the newer stuff. They work pretty good if you want stock or slightly warmed up.
    This is spot on. Many newer fuel injection options are available now that are pretty easy to work with. But, IMHO if a person decides to throw a car on something and want it to be as hassle free as they can get, the best option is buy from Quick Fuel. We bought one for one of our engines we freshened up, it was 1250cfm and ran it on the dyno to make adjustments but nothing was needed. It was dead nuts on right out of the box. Our engine builder said that seems to be pretty common with their stuff

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

There's one across the street from my sister's place in Florida that doesn't appear to have been driven in at least the last 2 years. I'm hoping on our next trip down to dolly it back behind us. It's a 2wd straight body and if I can drag it home for sub 4k I'm going to leap.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There's one across the street from my sister's place in Florida that doesn't appear to have been driven in at least the last 2 years. I'm hoping on our next trip down to dolly it back behind us. It's a 2wd straight body and if I can drag it home for sub 4k I'm going to leap.
    I would to if it is a short bed.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In spite of the sub 70 degree temps I've been working in the shop on the convertible. Working on the IRS installation, so far I've got the rear brackets bolted in after modifying them and installing nut plates in the frame, replumbed the brake lines and tonight I'll hang the sub frame in place from the two original upper control arm mounting points. After that I'll confirm no interference on the brake lines and finalize them and then raise the cradle into place.

I still need to work out the parking brake cables as I'm told they aren't compatible with the original brake handle. Once the IRS install is complete I move to the front; Cobra front brakes, steering rack, master cylinder, manual proportioning valve. It's hard to believe my intent is NOT to build a monster, just something a little more fun thru the twisties.

Oh yeah, I still have to install that "warmed over" 5.0 sitting on the stand. :lmfao:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The supercars provide great fireworks shows! LOTS of youtube videos of them catching fire. You'd think a car at that price point would be less prone to engine fires.
    We built a mold for the fan shroud on the second generation Acura NSX. The Honda engineers nitpicked every detail of that part. We must have made 20 engineering changes to the mold. And the changes were crazy. Changing the angle of ribs from 3 degrees to 5 degrees. Sent it back and changed them to 2 degrees. Changing radii from a half mm to 1.5mm. You'd think this simple fan shroud was going to Mars. Honda engineers are usually really good at getting things right on the first try but on this job, they were all over the place.

Then I ran across this article and it all made sense...

2016 Acura NSX Burns To The Ground During ‘Ring Testing: Update

The latest photos show the car as it is burning, a roaring fire completely enveloping the rear compartment before safety crews arrive to put out the flames.

The rear is where the car’s twin-turbocharged engine is located as well as its gearbox and one of its three electric motors. It’s not clear what caused the fire but we do know the air intakes and vents on the latest prototype are larger than those on previous prototypes as well as the original concept from 2012, suggesting the design has required additional cooling.

You can even see a nicely charred fan shroud in some of the pics...

wreckage-of-a-2016-acura-nsx-prototype-that-caught-fire_100473911_h.jpg

I guess I could see why they were trying to eek out every last bit of airflow.:D

Top Bottom