• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is why I love the vert so much (and hopefully the notch, too).
    One of the regulars at Grissom drives a wicked newer Camaro. Got him to ride with me once or twice one weekend. Ended up pushing it a little too hard one run and this sweet photo was born.

Anyway, my times were only a little faster than his, if that. He said that just the raw feel of the car is insane compared to his.
    And that's why I love these older clunkers. They can go just as fast and they feel so much better.

View attachment 176797
    I have an in car video somewhere that I'm sure looked a lot like your picture from the outside. The club I raced with in Texas had access to an old helicopter training facility that had a HUGE square pad of concrete.

mineralring.jpg

That's 1400' by 1500'.

It was surrounded by acres of vacant land. This arrangement allowed for course designs where the high horsepower cars were running speeds on the wrong side of 100 mph on the far reaches of the course (allegedly) :shady: . I was approaching the long sweeper left hander at the end of one of their notoriously long straights one day when the tail started to come around. Rather than lift slightly and bring it back in line I decided to ride it out. Several smoky donuts ensued and ensured a standing ovation as I finished my run. :rockwoot:

In reviewing the in car footage later that night it was humorous watching the corner crew heading for downed cones and then scattering like quail when they realized I wasn't lifting! :lmfao:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok. Not sure what I think about this but I'm kinda liking it. Demo Ranch Matt was looking for another burnout car. He found this.

(Go to 5:25 for the reveal)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This one might peak the interest of a few guys in here

Well it would definitely be fun to drive. Has about all the performance chassis upgrades I can recall installing when I worked on some of that stuff. Only thing that stuck that I would probably change is lowering the drivers seat. In the on track picture his helmet has to be at or above where a roof halo is or would be. Also, the pic from behind the seats it appears to be on a riser of some sort. It's always best to put your driver as low in the car as possible without interfering with their ability to drive.
    Otherwise, I wouldn't mind taking a few laps in it

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This one might peak the interest of a few guys in here

OOOHH!! ME WANTS! Thank goodness I don't have any spare coin right now cause lord knows I don't have any spare space. I'd love to put those fenders on the convertible but it's just nice enough that I don't want to cut anything for the bigger tires.

OTOH that 393 stroker and C6 I have would feel right at home in that. . . . . . . . :naughty:

Oh wait, engine included? I'm getting weaker!

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    About to order some parts for the 98 Mountaineer engine. It's a 302.

Should I get the rings and bearings, or just do the cam, valve springs, and gaskets?
    I can't remember what the mileage is at, but it ran and sounded completely fine when I drove it around. For context, I'm only doing the gaskets because it has a massive water leak and I want to put a cam in it anyway.

20220123_191639.jpg
    20220123_191618.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    About to order some parts for the 98 Mountaineer engine. It's a 302.

Should I get the rings and bearings, or just do the cam, valve springs, and gaskets?
    I can't remember what the mileage is at, but it ran and sounded completely fine when I drove it around. For context, I'm only doing the gaskets because it has a massive water leak and I want to put a cam in it anyway.

View attachment 177686
    View attachment 177685
    I think I would leave the rings alone. With that many miles the crosshatch is going to be nonexistent. Unless you have a hone.

I would do everything else you have listed there, and send it.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Fun day. Cam and valve springs and head bolts showed up. Found out I ordered the wrong valve springs because #### Google (linked me to the wrong part on Jegs' site, I didn't double check the number). Setup the return and bought the RIGHT part from Lunati.

And here's where the REAL fun begins. We started to pull the engine on the Mountaineer. The upper radiator hose and inlet to the heater core were both empty.
    The lower radiator hose and outlet from the heater core - frozen solid.

How boned am I? What do I do from here? Obviously still gonna pull it. How do I check the block to make sure it isn't cracked?

Top Bottom