• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not seeing much wrong with the body. Paint is always a part of the re-furbish. Let me go put my eyeballs on this again.
    Yes, on the price. No way of knowing how deep the engine needs gone into.
    Looked to me that in the trunk area, the quarters looked jacked. I am imagining worse under the carpet. I could be mistaken.

As far as they "were just cars", yeah most of us had that attitude. I remember when I left working for the aftermarket I told my brother that I probably won't be able to afford to do any cars anymore since I was so used to either heavily discounted parts or free parts and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to paying retail. I was also able to score complete cars pretty well trading parts for them. Yes, the deals weren't exactly company policy for TRW and Federal-Mogul.:shady:

He made a comment that I'll always be able to find $4K GTO's and the like.

Hmm....I think big brother may have missed that calculation. :)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Doc has a truck repair business as I remember but his presence is minimal these days since he totaled the street beast. In a borrowed car. He and Chuck are supposed to have new cars in process.
    Chuck annoys me.
    I can see where owning a truck repair shop could benefit a racer. Yeah, being around Chuck wouldn't be a good thing. He definitely has little man syndrome

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah it would look good sitting next to my own "sitting for 20 years" project! :lmfao: Honestly though I've been looking for a '67 or '68 for some time. I have a nice little 393 stroker on a stand and just picked up a small block C6 so I'm halfway there. Right!? Biggest thing holding me back on this one imho is that I would have to restore it to its "as raced" condition and I'm not really looking for a restored racecar. I've already got one of those I'm working on.

I have two different retirement windows, one at 2 years and one at 4 years. The wife's pushing for the 2 year window but I've got a few things I'd like to accomplish before retirement and they cost money. Something like this car is on this short list.

That is of course "assuming" that I finish the 3 I'm currently working on.:ugh:
    I know a guy that had planned to retire at the end of last year...until he decided last February to go buy a brand new Shelby GT350. Now he plans to work two more years to cover that investment

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know a guy that had planned to retire at the end of last year...until he decided last February to go buy a brand new Shelby GT350. Now he plans to work two more years to cover that investment
    I'm in a similar situation. I could retire in 3 years but would like to go until FRA which would be 4 years and 9 months from now.

I've been working on a plan to replace items that I don't think will make it through my retirement years with stuff that I think will.

Looking to buy two primary vehicles; one for my wife which if it wasn't for the jacked automotive market we were going to do this year. We will try to put it off another year. Mine would come after we get hers settled, maybe after we sell our current home and buy the next one.

I don't see a way to get a project vehicle, but I dream. You never know, something could drop in my lap.

Two years to cover a GT350? He is definitely in a different income bracket than me! :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looked to me that in the trunk area, the quarters looked jacked. I am imagining worse under the carpet. I could be mistaken.

As far as they "were just cars", yeah most of us had that attitude. I remember when I left working for the aftermarket I told my brother that I probably won't be able to afford to do any cars anymore since I was so used to either heavily discounted parts or free parts and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to paying retail. I was also able to score complete cars pretty well trading parts for them. Yes, the deals weren't exactly company policy for TRW and Federal-Mogul.:shady:

He made a comment that I'll always be able to find $4K GTO's and the like.

Hmm....I think big brother may have missed that calculation. :)
    Yeah but to his prediction nobody did.
    We were flipping them but only after putting everything back up to pass muster.
    And it was a revenue stream to support our hot rods. So when a cherry piece came through even the desire to keep it was out weighed buy needing those funds to buy the next cars.
    When the door slammed shut on that market due to falsely inflated gas prices and induced shortages we had no idea where all this was going. But that was near 50 years ago.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It says it's a fiberglass body. I wonder how much it weighs.
    Well, being a tube chassis car with all fiberglass body. Assuming it's a 4 link rear, I would venture to bet it's in the 2350-2450 without driver.
    That's my educated guess without any idea how much the turbo, piping & coolers weigh. Could be a little lighter if they used any carbon fiber in the wheel tubs and passenger side floor pan.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Wonder what kind of coin it takes to make a 2.3 run 7s in the quarter mile

I wonder if it's more or less than this guy?...

1350 WHP Iroz Motorsport’s World’s Quickest Audi RS3

Being a tube chassis/fiberglass body car, I bet he has more $$$ in it.

And the Audi still has AC.:D

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wonder if it's more or less than this guy?...

1350 WHP Iroz Motorsport’s World’s Quickest Audi RS3

Being a tube chassis/fiberglass body car, I bet he has more $$$ in it.

And the Audi still has AC.:D
    Very good chance the T-bird cost more to build than that Audi. But, the Audi at least started out as a production vehicle. The T-bird started out as a fiberglass body that had to have a chassis built for it. Not only that, it had to be built to meet NHRA requirements meeting at least SFI Foundation 25.5 certification which would certify to 7.50 in the 1/4. The 25.5 certification means they used at least 1 structural roll cage tube made of mild steel. If it was built using only chrome-moly tubing, it could be certified to 6.50 in the 1/4. Also, they could have used some titanium tubing in non SFI spec areas to save even more weight. The point is without knowing what materials were used it's hard to estimate how much it cost for the chassis as this would all be custom bent to fit.
    The fiberglass body probably wasn't as expensive as you might think. I'm not sure where they found fiberglass roof & quarters but the rest of the body could probably be picked up for $ 4500-5k (maybe a bit less) including lexan windows.
    The Auid may still have AC. But since the T-bird is a race car it doesn't matter since no race track would let you run the Audi with the AC on since it would be dripping water.
    Oh and the Audi specs indicate they are using both boost and nitrous to get to that HP level. This T-bird appears to only be using the one power adder. Just sayin

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have no doubt and suspect it's much higher.

But getting that Pinto engine to that kind of HP, without nitrous, wasn't cheap either.
    I'm sure that Pinto engine took some serious labor, but that 76mm turbo will move a whole lotta air. Even if the owner of the T-bird had $60k wrapped up in the engine and turbo set up, it could still be done for $100k or less.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have no doubt and suspect it's much higher.

But getting that Pinto engine to that kind of HP, without nitrous, wasn't cheap either.
    Just for conversation purposes, I know of a 4cyl Honda engine with 1 big ass turbo on it that's in a tube chassis Chevy Cobalt that can run 4.50s at over 160mph in the 1/8th. So it would run low 7s in the 1/4.
    There are some incredible little turbo 4 cylinders running around...and they can be giant killers

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Just for conversation purposes, I know of a 4cyl Honda engine with 1 big ass turbo on it that's in a tube chassis Chevy Cobalt that can run 4.50s at over 160mph in the 1/8th. So it would run low 7s in the 1/4.
    There are some incredible little turbo 4 cylinders running around...and they can be giant killers

The technology around turbos and tuning has drastically improved over the last decade. Also the rise of readily available pump e-85. It’s the poor man’s methanol. The race car innovations eventually get cheaper and trickle down to us common folk.

Top Bottom