Not open for further replies.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Is this the same package they put in the Turbo Birds.
    2 friends had those and when they applied some effort to modifying them they did haul the mail.

I believe the SVO tune was a little hotter as well as the suspension package but the hardware was close if not the same.

I always liked the SVO Mustangs. I had a 84 turbo XR7 Cougar that car was a whole lot of fun. Traded it for my first SHO.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Managed to get the left coilover installed this afternoon. As expected it wasn't as simple as tab "A" into slot "B" as slot "B" was one of millions and tab "A" was precision engineered and manufactured.

Q8Jq0g8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well we bought new tires a couple weeks ago. When we built the car we had 33x17s on it for mock up and then a few years ago we bought new double deadlock wheels and went with a taller narrower tire. Now we decided to go with a 34.5x17 and they wouldn't fit. So we had to change the upper shock mount location and add wheel spacers to make them fit. Turns out when we bought the new whhels the offset was 1/2"different which wasn't a problem with the narrower tires. Now we can finally scale it and it will be ready to go to the track. Sometimes its the little stuff that can be a real PITA

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well we bought new tires a couple weeks ago. When we built the car we had 33x17s on it for mock up and then a few years ago we bought new double deadlock wheels and went with a taller narrower tire. Now we decided to go with a 34.5x17 and they wouldn't fit. So we had to change the upper shock mount location and add wheel spacers to make them fit. Turns out when we bought the new whhels the offset was 1/2"different which wasn't a problem with the narrower tires. Now we can finally scale it and it will be ready to go to the track. Sometimes its the little stuff that can be a real PITA
    Under our Camaro we had it set up pretty close. 14WX32’s in Goodyear.
    We learned that Hoosiers were just a bit better so on the turn around we opted for the same size in a Hoosier. Same size my butt. It was either raise the rear and screw up the setup or trim out the wells.
    Yup. We trimmed out the wells. They were wider and taller.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It's pretty common for tires of the same size to vary in actual dimensions between vendors even with something as closely watched as race tires.

I've started my search for wheels for the racecar which in the past I've always run a 12" wide wheel. The fronts will need to be a 5 1/2" back space and the rears will probably be 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 rear space. The ***** of it all is that the only wheels I'm seeing so far are in the $750 and up per wheel range! Ouch!!! The good thing I suppose is that I'll only have to buy them once if I do it right! The tires on the other hand will be pushing $2k/year without getting compitetive at the national level.

The GF has stopped asking how close is it to being done.:laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's pretty common for tires of the same size to vary in actual dimensions between vendors even with something as closely watched as race tires.

I've started my search for wheels for the racecar which in the past I've always run a 12" wide wheel. The fronts will need to be a 5 1/2" back space and the rears will probably be 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 rear space. The ***** of it all is that the only wheels I'm seeing so far are in the $750 and up per wheel range! Ouch!!! The good thing I suppose is that I'll only have to buy them once if I do it right! The tires on the other hand will be pushing $2k/year without getting compitetive at the national level.

The GF has stopped asking how close is it to being done.:laugh:

What series will you de running in. Curious

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What series will you de running in. Curious

Oh I'm just an autocrosser so it's pretty low key but I chose a class closest to GT1/Trans Am and fairly close in car prep rules so even though any form of racing is relatively expensive to say I chose the high side of the curve in money (relatively speaking of course) is pretty accurate. It's been at least 15 years since I've been behind the wheel and it seems like most of the hardware; tires, wheels, etc. have gone up in price in the 30-50 percent range. I once told the GF how much I had invested in a photo I've since loaded here in this thread somewhere and she was kind of shocked but she took it in stride. Her comment was that I wasn't get any of her money! Can't blame her there.

Theoretically I should be able to drive the thing around the block in another seven or eight thousand dollars.:ugh: The biggest chunk of that though will be in tires and wheels.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Oh I'm just an autocrosser so it's pretty low key but I chose a class closest to GT1/Trans Am and fairly close in car prep rules so even though any form of racing is relatively expensive to say I chose the high side of the curve in money (relatively speaking of course) is pretty accurate. It's been at least 15 years since I've been behind the wheel and it seems like most of the hardware; tires, wheels, etc. have gone up in price in the 30-50 percent range. I once told the GF how much I had invested in a photo I've since loaded here in this thread somewhere and she was kind of shocked but she took it in stride. Her comment was that I wasn't get any of her money! Can't blame her there.

Theoretically I should be able to drive the thing around the block in another seven or eight thousand dollars.:ugh: The biggest chunk of that though will be in tires and wheels.

I’m hoping to get mine on the road for about $1000-$1500. There’s budget for traction and tire upgrades above that but I’m trying to take it one step at a time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom