• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well here’s where I’m at, the build we’ve got going is basically a stock-ish rebuild. Around the 400hp mark. Super affordable, reliable, and tons of fun. Ridiculous bang for your buck. And I’m 99% for sure this is the right direction for me.

But....

Should I do some extra investment up front. It’ll take longer (probably a lot longer) to get together but I’ve got a running motor already in it. Forged pistons aren’t THAT much more expensive. Better flowing heads aren’t THAT much more expensive. The biggest expense would be going full roller on the cam/valvetrain. Maybe start knocking on the door of that 500hp mark. All that buy once cry once stuff.

I think you are on the right path but I think an engine is one of those areas you need to build a little stronger than what you currently want, especially the rotating assembly. So I think it would be wsie to invest in the forged pistons. For the minimal price increase there is no way I would ever just use cast (aka hypereutectic) pistons. I would also be looking for some H beam rods (Eagle rods are quality & reasonably priced). You can build plenty of HP with a hydraulic cam and you won't have to mess with adjusting lash all the time. A cam swap on a sbc is fairly easy down the road if the cost of the roller cam is an issue. Likewise the heads are a pretty easy bolt on upgrade down the road too. So I suggest spending a little more on the rotating assembly now and you can upgrade the heads and add the nitrous as you want more power and the budget allows. But don't forget with more HP comes the need for a beefier transmission and then to apply the power you will likely need some suspension upgrades. The whole package has to work together.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I reject your reality of modern technology and substitute my own.

23t1469.jpg

Now that is old school cool right there

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Results are in...

69 jets on the primaries, 78 on the secondaries.
    .028 squirter nozzles primary and secondary.
    Pink 30cc accelerator pump cam primary and secondary.

Needs less acclerator cam, maybe less squirter nozzle. Going back to a stock intake manifold will help suck all that fuel in quicker with the extra velocity at low rpm.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Had a pretty productive day. Major garage cleaning. Pushed the car into it’s final resting place until Spring. Cleaned up all the surfaces in preparation for new intake manifold. Got the Holley torn down and ready to be neutered. Only real bummer of the day was I found a not-so-perky lobe on my cam. Intake valve on #7. Oh well. It’s getting replaced anyway.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Had a pretty productive day. Major garage cleaning. Pushed the car into it’s final resting place until Spring. Cleaned up all the surfaces in preparation for new intake manifold. Got the Holley torn down and ready to be neutered. Only real bummer of the day was I found a not-so-perky lobe on my cam. Intake valve on #7. Oh well. It’s getting replaced anyway.

Wasn't that somewhat common for a lobe to wear down before the others? Seems I recall something like that.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A little research shows that in the late 70's to early 80's, there was issues with the 305. (Although some stated it went back to the late 60's)

I guess why I remember this is when I was in shoo class in high school, one of my classmates had a factory mid 80's Firechicken. Through a engine scope (that was a big as a refrigerator, we found he had a dead cylinder. The teacher made us a bet that it was the cam. He even told us which cylinder ot was. (He hadn't seen the scope results) We said it was a plug or wire. The teacher was right. Pulling the valve cover found the rocker not moving. He stated that this was a known problem for this motor.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A little research shows that in the late 70's to early 80's, there was issues with the 305. (Although some stated it went back to the late 60's)

I guess why I remember this is when I was in shoo class in high school, one of my classmates had a factory mid 80's Firechicken. Through a engine scope (that was a big as a refrigerator, we found he had a dead cylinder. The teacher made us a bet that it was the cam. He even told us which cylinder ot was. (He hadn't seen the scope results) We said it was a plug or wire. The teacher was right. Pulling the valve cover found the rocker not moving. He stated that this was a known problem for this motor.

Soft components made with re-cycled Vegas and Falcons.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I sent the pics of the damaged Nitrous kit box to Jegs stating my displeasure that they would put an already damage product in the box and ship it. I included 2 pics of the shipping box, undamaged, so as to prove my point.
    They responded yesterday that were sorry and asked if the actual contents were damaged. I responded that I have as yet to open the damaged box waiting on them.
    I do not want to mess up any returns etc.
    Lets see what they say.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom