• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think that math-phobia is at the root of most objections to including fundamentals such as algebra in a core curriculum. I also think that most
    math-phobia is a direct result of really, really bad math teachers who to more to teach their students to hate and fear math than they do to help them learn and master the concepts.

I don't use arithmetic that often in my work, but I use mathematics principles regularly, like every day. Learning to do algebraic proofs opened my eyes to how to solve complex problems and the concepts learned by doing them form the basis of how I compose legal arguments in matters of first impression.

Algebra particularly is a particularly critical subject.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Huh. Reducing groups to their genitalia... What about groups that reduce themselves to their genitalia, like all the women in their ***** hats? Will they be banned from Twitter as well? Guessing not.

I wonder if self-dehumanization falls within this, as well... That means all those furries and "otherkin" are violating rules :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    New show they're advertising a buttload on TV.

New Amsterdam.
    About a doctor trying to get people to stop worrying about hospital and doctors billing.

in other words, free medical care for everyone.
    Isn't it great.
    This should work in the real world.

Of course, they could say, It's based on real life, so it can work.
    Failing to mention the taxpayers, or the conditions of the hospital.

Have seen the commercials....curious about how the doctors, nurses, mortgage, etc. get paid until the ultimate takeover by a benevolent, parental government headed by a trans woman of color.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, in one of the promos an entire department of docs is fired for being concerned about costs. Firing good, experienced doctors that expect to get paid for their work and replacing them with young idealists, what could possibly go wrong with that in the real world?:rolleyes:

Then there's insurance to pay, electric bills, maintenance of the building, maintenance and procurement of medical equipment, janitors pay, etc.
    I guess that's all just supposed to disappear.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't use arithmetic that often in my work, but I use mathematics principles regularly, like every day. Learning to do algebraic proofs opened my eyes to how to solve complex problems and the concepts learned by doing them form the basis of how I compose legal arguments in matters of first impression.

:yesway:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

In college, I took a number of digital electronics classes, programming classes, using truth tables, logic, etc. Senior year, as colleges want you to do, I had to take a non-technical elective. I believe it was in one of the humanities buildings but I found a class called something like Something...Something...Symoblic Logic. It was basically disecting statements using Ands, Ors, Nors, Ifs, etc. I was SOOOooooo easy, mostly because of my previous classes. It was probably the easies A I ever got with the least amount of studying. My classmates however, the non-engineering students, for them was a very different story. It's not often I'm the smartest man in the room...but for that quarter, for those 3 hours/week, in that one room, I felt like it. :):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In college, I took a number of digital electronics classes, programming classes, using truth tables, logic, etc. Senior year, as colleges want you to do, I had to take a non-technical elective. I believe it was in one of the humanities buildings but I found a class called something like Something...Something...Symoblic Logic. It was basically disecting statements using Ands, Ors, Nors, Ifs, etc. I was SOOOooooo easy, mostly because of my previous classes. It was probably the easies A I ever got with the least amount of studying. My classmates however, the non-engineering students, for them was a very different story. It's not often I'm the smartest man in the room...but for that quarter, for those 3 hours/week, in that one room, I felt like it. :):

I took the simply named: "Logic" in college. Great class, but similarly simple. I wasn't an engineering major, but I came up through high school taking all the math available including calculus and non-euclidean geometry....then I never took another math class (though I did CLEP college algebra and calculus).

Learning how to break problems down into the smallest steps, then using those steps to get where you want to go is something math trains you to do. When I was really young, if I ever complained about "story problems" my Dad would say: "Life is a s story problem. You need to learn how to solve it." Of course, he was an engineer.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I took the simply named: "Logic" in college. Great class, but similarly simple. I wasn't an engineering major, but I came up through high school taking all the math available including calculus and non-euclidean geometry....then I never took another math class (though I did CLEP college algebra and calculus).

Learning how to break problems down into the smallest steps, then using those steps to get where you want to go is something math trains you to do. When I was really young, if I ever complained about "story problems" my Dad would say: "Life is a s story problem. You need to learn how to solve it." Of course, he was an engineer.

I agree with your dad.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I never took anything more advanced than high school algebra and geometry, and I think I've done ok for myself.

Not sure that I need a math class to use the common sense necessary to break large tasks down into small, manageable bits.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

He's right.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Accreditation.
    If a college changes their degree and don't follow a criteria, they lose it.

If you make a nationwide acceptable electronics degree, and you think people need to study transistors, should people say, I don't like studying transistors, and I don't "need" it.

If you want the accredited degree, you do what is required.
    If you don't want to do it, then take a non-accredited course.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    This is VERY NSFW

cursing

click to play
    [video=facebook_share;1955310751182347]https://www.facebook.com/Loossunit/videos/1955310751182347/[/video]

"That Guy" for President 2024 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't care if he is not a natural born citizen, that went out the window in 2008.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

:yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I never took anything more advanced than high school algebra and geometry, and I think I've done ok for myself.

Not sure that I need a math class to use the common sense necessary to break large tasks down into small, manageable bits.

That's the thing . . . it's likely that what you call common sense is also something you would learn in a good algebra class when you learn how to solve problems. Sometimes common sense isn't so common!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom