Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And why should I be required to take English for my electronic degree?
    Cause that what's been determined for that degree.
    And if it's not "racist" then how are they claiming it to be a "civil rights issue"?

It is racist because they said it is. Sit down and shut up you entitled, privileged white, cisgender male!

(they are right, this SJW thing IS fun! )

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    And if it's not "racist" then how are they claiming it to be a "civil rights issue"?

For starters, civil rights doesn't always correlate to race. Second, I have no idea why they are calling it a civil rights issue. All we have is a screenshot and the first sentence of the story.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Uhhh.... Not sure if srs? It's difficult to have such conversations, when concepts aren't understood.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have actually heard this chancellor interviewed on this topic and he actually made some very good points.

For instance, I majored in English writing. Why was I required to take Algebra? I never use it in my job or day-to-day life.

He isn't claiming algebra is racist, or that it should be eliminated and replaced with transgender basket weaving. The argument is, why should stundents be required to take a class they don't need and won't use, especially if it is going to drag down their GPA or worse, prevent them from graduating?

You probably use algebra more often than you realize, you just don't think of it as algebra.

In terms of requiring it, there has to be a core curriculum for all college degrees, not all of which are obviously pertinent to any specific major, but they are pertinent to any formal education. In addition, algebra is a great tool for learning pattern recognition, logic, methodical problem solving, etc. All of those skills are transferable to anyone's life unless they don't do anything. Algebra should be considered a communications class as well. Math is just another language and algebra is the starting point of learning that language.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Some observations.

It was definitely described as a civil rights issue, but there wasn't an overt assertion of race. Just low income.

It's reasonable to argue that intermediate algebra isn't required for most jobs that graduates of community colleges could get, and they could reasonably be replaced with math courses that are more relevant.

It's not reasonable to argue that this is a civil rights issue.

He's implying that poor people can't do algebra. That's nonsense. Plenty of poor people are successful in academics and pull themselves up. Being successful academically has more to do with having aptitude along with the willingness to make the best of what you have. Those are the two primary characteristics, by the way, which make some employees more valuable than others.

It's not a civil right to be competent. It's not a civil right to be willing to work hard to understand difficult concepts. Those are parts of a person's character that are built from early childhood through adulthood. It's unfortunate that many poor people tend to grow up not learning to be good students, and to make the best use of their aptitudes. But society hasn't violated anyone's civil rights. It's not something that simplifying a degree program will fix either.

He's implying that having the degree is the thing that makes people successful. It's not the degree. I mean, the degree may be required to get your foot in the door, but it won't keep your feet on the right side of the door. You need to have earned the paper by building your competence in your field. I'm not saying that you need everything that college teaches you, or that what you learn is all you need. The entire experience of being pushed hard raises your game. Maybe you'll never use Fourier Analysis on the job. But that ass-kicking it gave you made you stretched your thinking in ways that will serve you later.

But we're talking about a community college here. Not exactly the most rigorous program. So, okay. Don't include algebra then. Go ahead. Do the ***** ass statistics class Oakley suggested. I say "***** ass" because a prerequisite for a real statistics class is calculus. You've typically had to have taken college algebra and trigonometry before they'll let you take calculus. So if a student who can pass the statistics class Oakley would like to substitute, but can't pass algebra, it's likely not a very useful statistics class. But, those people will not be competing for jobs at the same level as those who can do the more rigorous study. But then, if your degree program ends in the word "Studies", rigor isn't the primary goal as much as indoctrination anyway.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You probably use algebra more often than you realize, you just don't think of it as algebra.

In terms of requiring it, there has to be a core curriculum for all college degrees, not all of which are obviously pertinent to any specific major, but they are pertinent to any formal education. In addition, algebra is a great tool for learning pattern recognition, logic, methodical problem solving, etc. All of those skills are transferable to anyone's life unless they don't do anything. Algebra should be considered a communications class as well. Math is just another language and algebra is the starting point of learning that language.

I think degree programs in the humanities don't really need algebra. They'll be learning plenty about imaginary oppression, such that they won't need to learn about imaginary numbers.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some observations.

It was definitely described as a civil rights issue, but there wasn't an overt assertion of race. Just low income.

It's reasonable to argue that intermediate algebra isn't required for most jobs that graduates of community colleges could get, and they could reasonably be replaced with math courses that are more relevant.

It's not reasonable to argue that this is a civil rights issue.

He's implying that poor people can't do algebra. That's nonsense. Plenty of poor people are successful in academics and pull themselves up. Being successful academically has more to do with having aptitude along with the willingness to make the best of what you have. Those are the two primary characteristics, by the way, which make some employees more valuable than others.

It's not a civil right to be competent. It's not a civil right to be willing to work hard to understand difficult concepts. Those are parts of a person's character that are built from early childhood through adulthood. It's unfortunate that many poor people tend to grow up not learning to be good students, and to make the best use of their aptitudes. But society hasn't violated anyone's civil rights. It's not something that simplifying a degree program will fix either.

He's implying that having the degree is the thing that makes people successful. It's not the degree. I mean, the degree may be required to get your foot in the door, but it won't keep your feet on the right side of the door. You need to have earned the paper by building your competence in your field. I'm not saying that you need everything that college teaches you, or that what you learn is all you need. The entire experience of being pushed hard raises your game. Maybe you'll never use Fourier Analysis on the job. But that ass-kicking it gave you made you stretched your thinking in ways that will serve you later.

But we're talking about a community college here. Not exactly the most rigorous program. So, okay. Don't include algebra then. Go ahead. Do the ***** ass statistics class Oakley suggested. I say "***** ass" because a prerequisite for a real statistics class is calculus. You've typically had to have taken college algebra and trigonometry before they'll let you take calculus. So if a student who can pass the statistics class Oakley would like to substitute, but can't pass algebra, it's likely not a very useful statistics class. But, those people will not be competing for jobs at the same level as those who can do the more rigorous study. But then, if your degree program ends in the word "Studies", rigor isn't the primary goal as much as indoctrination anyway.

Yeah, what he said!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think degree programs in the humanities don't really need algebra. They'll be learning plenty about imaginary oppression, such that they won't need to learn about imaginary numbers.

I think that math-phobia is at the root of most objections to including fundamentals such as algebra in a core curriculum. I also think that most
    math-phobia is a direct result of really, really bad math teachers who to more to teach their students to hate and fear math than they do to help them learn and master the concepts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Did you just assume my pronoun? Not that you got it wrong, but I'm supposed to be offended that you just assumed.

I intentionally assumed and used it to trigger you. It's what we "alt-right" people do. Well, we're not actually people anymore. We "alt-right" beings.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    New show they're advertising a buttload on TV.

New Amsterdam.
    About a doctor trying to get people to stop worrying about hospital and doctors billing.

in other words, free medical care for everyone.
    Isn't it great.
    This should work in the real world.

Of course, they could say, It's based on real life, so it can work.
    Failing to mention the taxpayers, or the conditions of the hospital.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Cornell tells students if they are 'privileged' or 'oppressed'

A Cornell University student says student ambassadors were given an "orientation packet" that told them if they were "privileged" or "oppressed."

The packet categorized groups of people based on age, race, gender, gender identity, religion, and education level, to name a few.

Cornell_Freshman_Orientation_Handbook1.jpg
    The victimhood is strong on this one. :rolleyes:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    New show they're advertising a buttload on TV.

New Amsterdam.
    About a doctor trying to get people to stop worrying about hospital and doctors billing.

in other words, free medical care for everyone.
    Isn't it great.
    This should work in the real world.

Of course, they could say, It's based on real life, so it can work.
    Failing to mention the taxpayers, or the conditions of the hospital.

Yes, in one of the promos an entire department of docs is fired for being concerned about costs. Firing good, experienced doctors that expect to get paid for their work and replacing them with young idealists, what could possibly go wrong with that in the real world?:rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Interesting policy.

So metaphors and similes like cancer, parasitic, leeching... things like that... are now bannable offenses on Twitter.

Dn8ZiQwUcAAMBkl.jpg:small
    Huh. Reducing groups to their genitalia... What about groups that reduce themselves to their genitalia, like all the women in their ***** hats? Will they be banned from Twitter as well? Guessing not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom