• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That is a huge drop in 1 week!!!

I'm looking to drop 1.5 to 2 pounds a week in a sustained way. A 14 pound drop in 7 days is astonishing.

My original goal weight was 185# but it still has me, at 61 years old and 6' tall, categorized as overweight by pretty much every measure. Readjusted my goal, looking to get to about 175# before Christmas.

Morning weight today 196.7.

How to be motivated: take a knitting needle, insert into backside of hip, and yet you sit a lot for a living.

Pain does amazing things. Doing 100% on diet and doing something everyday (weights, hiking, yoga, martial arts routine, circuit) I'm dropping el bees like Kirk drops a Taurus.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Did lots of working out yesterday, crushed my 50-minute per day goal. But ate a lot too. Veggies, fruits and more veggies. Did have a little Italian sausage with some of those veggies at dinner time. Got on the fancy cardio-scale for my morning weight & metric measurements. Weight UP by about a half pound to 197.3. While I'm eating all this healthy stuff, I'm eating a lot of it. Portion control is something I need to work on if I am going to drop down another 13-15#.

10 minutes later I took a massive :toilet2:

Pretty sure it is a net loss of weight but I won't weigh myself until tomorrow morning.

One thing is clear with this new 'healthy eating' lifestyle of mine, I have more stomach and intestinal gas, and the general output tends to be somewhat less rewarding but a greater relief. Not sure I like this part of the new me.

While I'm eating all this healthy stuff, I'm eating a lot of it. Portion control is something I need to work on if I am going to drop down another 13-14#.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    One thing is clear with this new 'healthy eating' lifestyle of mine, I have more stomach and intestinal gas, and the general output tends to be somewhat less rewarding but a greater relief. Not sure I like this part of the new me.
    I’ve found the gas situation is a lot more… uh… fragrant than before… fortunately I work by myself all day!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Just got home from the gym. It's been an odd two weeks. Last week, I actually gained two tenths of a pound, but this week I dropped 3.6 pounds. I get weighed on Saturday morning, and I use that number as my "official weight". I have very little self-control when it comes to that scale, so I have to put it away after each weigh-in or I'll get on the damn thing every time I walk by.

I also hope no one ever goes through the pictures on my phone. About a month ago, I started photographing myself weekly so I can check my progress. You can actually see, at least I can, slight changes each week. The muscle growth is hard to detect in such a short period, but you can see fat loss and improved definition much easier. I'll just assume I'm adding muscle since I'm upping the weights I use every workout or two.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is a huge drop in 1 week!!!

I'm looking to drop 1.5 to 2 pounds a week in a sustained way. A 14 pound drop in 7 days is astonishing.

My original goal weight was 185# but it still has me, at 61 years old and 6' tall, categorized as overweight by pretty much every measure. Readjusted my goal, looking to get to about 175# before Christmas.

Morning weight today 196.7.
    If i get out and sweat a bunch, I’ve dropped 4-6 pounds in a day. But it comes back. For me, it’s always just temporary water weight loss.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Just got home from the gym. It's been an odd two weeks. Last week, I actually gained two tenths of a pound, but this week I dropped 3.6 pounds. I get weighed on Saturday morning, and I use that number as my "official weight". I have very little self-control when it comes to that scale, so I have to put it away after each weigh-in or I'll get on the damn thing every time I walk by.

I also hope no one ever goes through the pictures on my phone. About a month ago, I started photographing myself weekly so I can check my progress. You can actually see, at least I can, slight changes each week. The muscle growth is hard to detect in such a short period, but you can see fat loss and improved definition much easier. I'll just assume I'm adding muscle since I'm upping the weights I use every workout or two.
    One day you’ll walk by the mirror and flex and be like “whhhhaaaaatttt???” Then I had to stop and check things out :lmfao:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    … I get weighed on Saturday morning, and I use that number as my "official weight"…
    … slight changes each week. The muscle growth is hard to detect in such a short period, but you can see fat loss and improved definition much easier. I'll just assume I'm adding muscle since I'm upping the weights I use every workout or two.
    Daily weight ins for me. First thing in the morning.

Like you I see small body changes, losing my “dad bod” shape and picking up some definition. Slowly. But noticeable. Got to keep it up. Make it a habit. And a lifestyle.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    About a year ago I left offices forever. I spent nearly 30 years of my life sitting at desks making sales calls. I had enough of it, and took a warehouse job loading trailers. On an average day I pick up, carry, and put down anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 pounds. It's like going to the gym for 10 hours a day 4 days a week. In the first 4 months I dropped from 220 (give or take) to 165 (give or take). I'm at my 1985-86 weight now.

I don't make as much, but I have way less stress now.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    One day you’ll walk by the mirror and flex and be like “whhhhaaaaatttt???” Then I had to stop and check things out :lmfao:

I'm at the gym pretty early, and I have it to myself fairly often. I'll admit it. I'll take a peek in their big ole mirrors after I get a good pump going.

I don't know what the science is behind this, but I look worse in my gym mirrors than another other mirror I know of.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Daily weight ins for me. First thing in the morning.

Like you I see small body changes, losing my “dad bod” shape and picking up some definition. Slowly. But noticeable. Got to keep it up. Make it a habit. And a lifestyle.

I can't do daily weigh-ins. I go super hard on the weekends, so I'll weigh the least right after my Sunday workout, then put slightly more on each day until I reach my next "official" weigh day. It's discouraging to watch that scale tick slightly upwards each day. It's better for me to weigh once a week and just see one number.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I can't do daily weigh-ins. I go super hard on the weekends, so I'll weigh the least right after my Sunday workout, then put slightly more on each day until I reach my next "official" weigh day. It's discouraging to watch that scale tick slightly upwards each day. It's better for me to weigh once a week and just see one number.
    One thing I do NOT like about a SCALE is that it gives limited metrics.
    • Simple scales give weight.
    • Cardio/smart scales give water %, fat, muscle, bone weights and even heart rates.
    The problem with both types of scale is that total weight and water weight fluctuate wildly during the day, and can fluctuate quite a bit day to day. Depending upon your fluid intake, the cardio/smart scale can also throw off your other metric measurements. This can be partially solved by consistent weigh in patters like a first thing in the morning weight before breakfast.

I use a WITHINGS brand cardio/smart scale and like the metric tracking that I get on my smart phone. I like to watch the trend lines. But it can only be used if you consistently measure weight the general time, same general routine.

I recently bought a BELLO 2 fat analyzer. The selling pitch is that it gives you a better health measurement than weight. It takes 5 fat measurements, 1 from each arm, 1 from each leg, 1 at the belly. The concept is brilliant, if you change your focus from actual weight measurement to body composition and health focus. Easy to say, hard to do when we grow up thinking about weight.

The BELLO 2 predicted specific health issue areas for me. They are all confirmed by my doctor. The smart/cardio scale didn't do that. But a group of health apps on my phone have hinted at those health issues.

Not sold on the BELLO 2 yet. I don't much like the App. But I look at it as another tool to help my process of getting healthy. And maybe I am to focused on weight and should be more focused on health.

I was talking to a professional athlete at my fencing club the other night, he and I co-coach a team. He is 4 inches shorter than I am and when he is in top competition condition his weight is 185. My goal is below that weight. Muscle is heavier than fat, so maybe I'm thinking wrong and should work more on dropping fat than dropping weight. Bello 2 focuses on the different types of fat and helps you, if you can figure out the app, focus on reducing the unhealthy fat.

Not giving up the scale, but slowly adapting more to Bello 2 fat measurement as a better indicator of health progress.
    *** There may be other brands of fat measurement devices, I just happened to buy the Bello 2​

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Daily weight checks are not only unnecessary, but can often be demoralizing. Daily fluctuations, like others here have alluded to present too many variables that are not indicative of real change.

Once per week is more than adequate.

This life is a marathon, not a sprint.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    8/25/22 weigh in: down 6.2 kilos from last Thursday.

Decided only way to make pain in my backside go away is to get serious about taking pressure off the air frame.

90 kilos by end of year. 87 kilos is goal weight.
    hey siri, how many pounds is 6.2 kilos?

6.2 kilograms is 13.67 pounds.

It's more impressive when you say it in pounds.

Hey siri. How many pounds is 90 kilos?

90 kilograms is 198.42 pounds. Holy ****, that's an aggressive goal as pounds!

I think for me, an ideal weight would be 60 kilos from where I am. But I'd be satisfied with just 45 and to be able to maintain it.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I have the same problem. I’ll go out and hit it hard tomorrow morning and Monday morning I’ll have put on an easy 5+ pounds. The first time that happened I was pretty disappointed, I mean go from hiking so much you can barely get in the truck to go home and STILL put a bunch of weight on :wallbash: I’m learning to pay less attention to the scale and more to my clothes and how things look in the mirror.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm at the gym pretty early, and I have it to myself fairly often. I'll admit it. I'll take a peek in their big ole mirrors after I get a good pump going.

I don't know what the science is behind this, but I look worse in my gym mirrors than another other mirror I know of.
    I haven’t checked in a gym mirror, probably just dirty, but definitely nothing wrong with checking out the pump. We work hard for what we got, might as well take a look at it now and again.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Daily weight checks are not only unnecessary, but can often be demoralizing. …
    I find it motivating. But I check much more than weight. That is where the Apps and smart devices shine light on your progress. Weight is not the single metric. Body composition is much more comprehensive. If I see weight up but also hydration up, fat down and muscle up that is actually a positive outcome.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    hey siri, how many pounds is 6.2 kilos?

6.2 kilograms is 13.67 pounds.

It's more impressive when you say it in pounds.

Hey siri. How many pounds is 90 kilos?

90 kilograms is 198.42 pounds. Holy ****, that's an aggressive goal as pounds!

I think for me, an ideal weight would be 60 kilos from where I am. But I'd be satisfied with just 45 and to be able to maintain it.
    I am tallish and triangle shaped. 195 lbs. is a good weight for me (I am kinda scary looking at that weight muscled up). What I am now since this winter and the near collapse of my business is not good.

You ever watch Band of Brothers on HBO? You know where "Pee Wee" is talking about how larger guys like the Manson prosecutor "Buck" Compton would come down hard on their backsides during jumps but he would land standing up? Yeah, its like that, I coming down too hard on stuff.

I look at it this way, less eating, less time at chiropractor and more able to walk down (not up, which is strange) stairs and more push ups before I collapse from exhaustion like on other PT tests.

I am dropping like a stone and am being incredibly good boy on diet and exercise (I ran this morning). E.g., there is a beerfest (Beers Across the Wabash) right outside my office window and I am inside clearing the desk, drinking water and not eating. The return of Tejon Flacco will be awesome.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I haven't reported in for awhile; I'm taking some time off from the gym which is painful for me. Emotionally that is. Makes me feel like I'm quitting. And I have been working out since I was a freshman in college.

But, for two years now I have been fighting lower back pain. Doesn't bother me except if I bend down. So getting dressed, picking up weight plates off the floor, getting up off the bench.

I have been through two chiropractors and both eventually threw up their arms out of ideas.

I had an x ray taken and nothing shows up. Actually the x ray shows I have the spinal condition of someone 30 years my junior.

I have changed programs, tried sleeping in different beds but the one thing I haven't tried: lay off the weight training. Been out for two weeks now and no change so I'm thinking that is not it.

I may go MRI next or a guy told me about a chiropractor that throws acupuncture needles in your back and hooks electrodes on them ala TENS is sounds like. I will do some research on this before I consider it.

If I do an MRI and it shows no damage, I am thinking of switching to machine weight training. I have pretty much done free weights and I know how to do a proper dead lift, bench press, etc.. But I also know that doing 3 sets of 8 reps I'm bound to lose form on a couple of reps. That may be all it takes to jack up my back. Machine training will help me maintain good form.

I am a very active person, rarely stopping. I tell people I'm like a shark: if I stop moving I sink to the bottom.

At times when I was putting in tons of hours renovating my home and doing cross fit 4X a week, my chiropractor would tell me to pick one. He said I was doing too much and not allowing adequate recovery. Even my son told me the other day: "dad, at some point your going to have to realize you are 62, not 32".

He's probably right. But I'm not good at slowing down. One of my philosophies is that I'll do something until I can't do it anymore. Then I will stop. I'm not stopping just because I've lived through X number of revolutions around the sun.

Top Bottom