• Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Today is a better day.

But my weight is up a little bit. 195.2#

I blame that on the hospital day and then yesterday's recovery day for our foster son. Drive thru window food and a lack of exercise. He is much improved today. And I've got 106 minutes of workout time already logged in for the day.

I really need to THROW AWAY food on the toddler's plate that is left uneaten. I grew up as a 1st generation child of Slavic/Polish immigrants born just after the end of the great depression. Food was not wasted.

I have a habit of eating what the 2 year old doesn't finish. That is fatal for someone trying to get healthy, fit and losing weight. Toddler food for a premature kid is supposed to put weight on, it is high fat, high salt, high protein, high carb and all highly processed. Basically not what I should be eating!

--- ALSO ---

I deleted the "intermittent fasting" app that was on my smartphone. It actually made me crave food, think about food, count the hours until I could (or could not) have food. I'm sure this technique works for some people but it was not something that motivated me or helped me. My mindset is just different. I'm doing well just counting calories, eating a good balanced diet, and exercising.
    I tried intermittent fasting but I was over eating when I was eating. I’ve found having a little fruit for dinner works best for me, breakfast is my highest calorie meal and then it goes down from there. I’m dropping weight so I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing. I also feel your pain about finishing off what the toddler doesn’t eat. I was the “clean your plate” generation :lmfao:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Today is a better day.

But my weight is up a little bit. 195.2#

I blame that on the hospital day and then yesterday's recovery day for our foster son. Drive thru window food and a lack of exercise. He is much improved today. And I've got 106 minutes of workout time already logged in for the day.

I really need to THROW AWAY food on the toddler's plate that is left uneaten. I grew up as a 1st generation child of Slavic/Polish immigrants born just after the end of the great depression. Food was not wasted.

I have a habit of eating what the 2 year old doesn't finish. That is fatal for someone trying to get healthy, fit and losing weight. Toddler food for a premature kid is supposed to put weight on, it is high fat, high salt, high protein, high carb and all highly processed. Basically not what I should be eating!

--- ALSO ---

I deleted the "intermittent fasting" app that was on my smartphone. It actually made me crave food, think about food, count the hours until I could (or could not) have food. I'm sure this technique works for some people but it was not something that motivated me or helped me. My mindset is just different. I'm doing well just counting calories, eating a good balanced diet, and exercising.
    If you stop eating after dinner and don’t eat until you break fast, you can count that as intermittent fasting.

And stop cleaning other peoples plates. Depression is over.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm back down to my "pre-vacation" weight of 178. I don't want to lose anymore. I'm very comfortable with my current weight with my height. BMI of 25. This past Monday I've started to take in a massive amounts of protein for breakfast each day to feed my muscles for my workouts. 60g of protein isolate mixed in 720mL of whole milk which is another 27g of protein. Then eat 2 hardboiled eggs at roughly 7g each. Still doing about 64oz of water/day. Getting another 25-30g protein from meat at lunch and supper. Target is 0.8-1.0g protein per lb of body weight

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I need a good poop.

If I eat Spam, corned beef hash and liver sausage and poo 3 times a day. Switch to veggies and fiber for a month and I poo once a day, sometimes less.

Seems like I could lose 20# if I returned to a 3x a day, processed food poop routine.

N9Zero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    Cass County
    I've been on the 6/18 fast diet for a wile now. Almost like a One Meal A Day ..well, sometimes a small breakfast always a big lunch and a protien shake before gym and that's ever other day.
    At first it was hard getting past dinner time, but as the days went by so did the feeling of hunger. Lost lbs fast and feels a hole lot better cutting out dinner.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I lost 5.2 pounds last week, which is quite a bit for someone as deep into a program as I am. I went hard last week though; I did a minimum of three miles five times, plus weight-training four times. I haven't lost muscle because I actually added weight to several exercises this morning. I guess I'll call it an exceptionally good week.

Edited to add I'm not starving myself either. I'm going to try and do the exact same routine this week and see what the results are. I'm guessing I may not lose much, or I might even gain, since my body may recalibrate. We'll know in seven days.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    ampjEQq.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What is better for toning muscles and getting rid of fat. Not looking to be a muscle man, not looking have biceps that bulge out and tear my shirt sleeves. More looking to get rid of flab, man boobs, and the 'dad bod' look. We currently have light weight dumbbells. I don't want to get into weightlifting. Not looking at buying barbells. Just wondering if I should consider a heavier set of dumbbells?
    • LOTS of repetitions with LIGHT dumbbells? (sets of 50+ reps w/10# or less)
    • FEWER repetitions with HEAVIER dumbbells? (sets of 10-20 reps w/20# or more)

I've re-injured an old hiking injury on my left foot. Commonly called a 'stone bruise' it is a bottom of the foot injury common to long distance hikers/backpackers. Makes any walking painful. Only way to heal is to let it rest. So I'm spending a lot of time in HOKA ONE ONE deeply padded running shoes because they absorb shock and impact better than any other shoe I've ever tried. Silly looking shoes but they are comfortable. Also staying off the treadmill and minimizing pleasure or exercise walks. Rowing machine is low impact. Exercise bike is low impact. Both machines have been getting a workout for the past few days.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    More reps will build endurance, heavy sets put on muscle, both can be used effectively but as a natural lifter, you don’t have to really worry about it. The classic 3 sets/ 8-12 rep in 65% of your max is going to give you good results with the right diet.
    I hate to tell you, but I’ve lost a lot of weight, it takes a long time to get rid of those man boobs. I don’t think you were even close to as heavy as I was, so that probably makes a big difference, but that loose flabby skin can hang around for a long time, especially as we get older, the skin starts losing its elasticity.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got in nearly 6 miles of hiking today, 1/2 of it in the pouring rain, which was honestly, pretty enjoyable. I should get at least double credit to, I’ve been fighting a darn sinus thing, sure makes getting moving harder, I usually forget about it and feel better once I get going.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What is better for toning muscles and getting rid of fat. Not looking to be a muscle man, not looking have biceps that bulge out and tear my shirt sleeves. More looking to get rid of flab, man boobs, and the 'dad bod' look. We currently have light weight dumbbells. I don't want to get into weightlifting. Not looking at buying barbells. Just wondering if I should consider a heavier set of dumbbells?

I've re-injured an old hiking injury on my left foot. Commonly called a 'stone bruise' it is a bottom of the foot injury common to long distance hikers/backpackers. Makes any walking painful. Only way to heal is to let it rest. So I'm spending a lot of time in HOKA ONE ONE deeply padded running shoes because they absorb shock and impact better than any other shoe I've ever tried. Silly looking shoes but they are comfortable. Also staying off the treadmill and minimizing pleasure or exercise walks. Rowing machine is low impact. Exercise bike is low impact. Both machines have been getting a workout for the past few days.

Lifting heavy with movements that engage a lot of muscle mass (ie, squats, deadlifts) stimulates growth hormone, which promotes muscle over fat.

Lifting alone will not "tone" you, but can help you maintain muscle as you lose fat in a more favorable ratio.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I go to the gym extremely early, but there's normally one or two early-brids there with me. Today, it was ghost town. I was there well over an hour and had the whole place to myself. It was a totally differnt story for me today too versus last Sunday. I wasn't feeling it a week ago, but this morning I felt strong and went pretty hard.

Before this weekend, I decided to make a slight adjustment. I felt like I was taking too much time between my sets, so I cut back my rest time to 45-60 seconds. I can't believe that small change has me sore like I am. That's a good thing though because that will get the old muscles growing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I go to the gym. . .
    I can't find much motivation to do that.

We have a foreign exchange student who is a world class athlete, when she was a high school junior we'd go to the YMCA together and that was fun. She is now a junior at Notre Dame, 2 time NCAA team champion, ACC individual & team champion, etc. But we don't work out together anymore. 40-minute drive each way to work out alone for an hour just doesn't seem worth it.

My workouts are in my family/exercise room. Rowing machine. Exercise bike. Treadmill. Lightweight dumbbells. And outdoor hilly walking.

Normally I have my workout done about 7, maybe 7:15. Not today.

Weighed in at 191# this morning.

Had my espresso shot, then another. Then I sat for a while.

When I finally got moving I hit the rowing machine with a hard 35 minute workout. Legs are burning. Arms are recovering. Belly is sore.

My workout sessions are getting longer, weights are getting slightly heavier, resistance settings are starting out higher and I'm finishing stronger. I think that is all good and a sign of progress.

CAF7AFDA-44CF-480F-8251-C6CBC1AB4FF9.jpeg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I go to the gym extremely early, but there's normally one or two early-brids there with me. Today, it was ghost town. I was there well over an hour and had the whole place to myself. It was a totally differnt story for me today too versus last Sunday. I wasn't feeling it a week ago, but this morning I felt strong and went pretty hard.

Before this weekend, I decided to make a slight adjustment. I felt like I was taking too much time between my sets, so I cut back my rest time to 45-60 seconds. I can't believe that small change has me sore like I am. That's a good thing though because that will get the old muscles growing.
    I see you are in Monroe county. What gym do you go to?

Top Bottom