• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    Probably the most important thing I've learned to do is "throw it away". You do NOT have to finish ANYTHING. If I crave something and after a couple bites I'm satisfied, I toss it. Yes, it's wasteful, but, a necessary evil. No, I do NOT save it for later. I toss it. Very important. If I'm satisfied halfway through a meal, I toss it. I learned this from skinny people. If they are half way through a sandwich, but done, they toss it. I used to NEVER do that. I do now.
    I confess I have trouble with this. Whenever my kids are around, I find myself "finishing" their uneaten food. When they are not around, I lose weight. :(

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Went to a going away party for my Godson last night. He is off to IU to start his freshman year of college.

Ate too much crap last night, feel like crap this morning. Consequently I had ZERO MOTIVATION to get on a treadmill or exercise bike early this morning. Normally I'm done with a good workout by 7:30am. I finished a 30 minute exercise bike ride at 9:45am this morning. Set the program to "hilly ride" but fairly low intensity so it was a mild ride. Exercised my upper body by lifting, swinging, pumping 4# weights for the entire 30 minute ride.

Not great, but given the condition of my queazy stomach it was a lot better to get it done than to skip my morning session. HOPEFULLY this afternoon I'll get in a good session late this afternoon.

I have some chain sawing and wood cutting to do today so I will get some bit of a workout out in the yard. If I don't screw it up by over eating I may be able to offset the "damage" from the party last night.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got a 4 mile hike in this morning at turkey run, was hoping to go farther but apparently my sisters not as tough as her talk :lmfao: I wore a 15 pound ruck, first time trying that, I definitely dig it, I plan on getting out for my normal hike in the morning with the ruck.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I started my weight-loss program back in January, but a nasty case of COVID interruped my plans. I didn't feel right for 8-9 weeks, but I finally managed to get started again in early April. I dropped 40 pounds pretty quickly, but I still have a ways to go. I'm finding out the next round of weight that needs to come off isn't cooperating like the first 40.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I started my weight-loss program back in January, but a nasty case of COVID interruped my plans. I didn't feel right for 8-9 weeks, but I finally managed to get started again in early April. I dropped 40 pounds pretty quickly, but I still have a ways to go. I'm finding out the next round of weight that needs to come off isn't cooperating like the first 40.
    Yeah. I dropped 28 pounds pretty easily from January-July, and now not only am I stuck, but I have picked up a few pounds and I'm not doing anything different. Frustrating, but we have to keep trying.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a pedometer last fall. Four moths ago started committing to 5 miles a day walking. Just plain walking. I don't always hit the goal, but 127 miles has been the least in a month since March. Little things like parking as far as I can from the store entrance, taking the long way around the store. I even pace the house when I am listening to a radio program.

I have gone low carbs, mostly lean meats and vegetables. Carbs I do eat come in apples and berries. No processed meats. Pretty much opposite of the cardiologists protocol recommendations. My formerly dangerously high blood pressure is now averaging 117/65 with a 62 bpm pulse, even after I have reduced my blood pressure meds by 50%. Since lowering the heart meds, my triglycerides are 40% lower, as BP meds artificially jack them up. The Cardiologist does not like me rejecting protocol therapeutic levels, but admits my plan is working. The drug salesmen who instruct the Dr's. on meds application are not interested in making you healthy.

What I save on meds buys a lot of top quality steak.

And as a side benefit, I went from 248 to 202, I am 6'2"

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Yeah. I dropped 28 pounds pretty easily from January-July, and now not only am I stuck, but I have picked up a few pounds and I'm not doing anything different. Frustrating, but we have to keep trying.

I kind plateaued in July, so I decided to go next level. I joined a gym and am now starting week six of a 12 week program. I also altered my diet slightly. I work out four times per week, and on those days, I'll eat a little heavier., and on recovery days, I'll back my food intake down slightly. I'm trying to both burn fat and add muscle. That's hard to do, but it can be done if you can find the sweet-spot.

I'm not sure about you, but I need little wins along the way. Watching that scale show less and less is a huge motivator. What really keeps me going is having to tighten the belt another notch, and on rare occasions, buy smaller clothes. Stay on the path and keep your positive outlook. We'll get there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm not sure about you, but I need little wins along the way. Watching that scale show less and less is a huge motivator. What really keeps me going is having to tighten the belt another notch, and on rare occasions, buy smaller clothes. Stay on the path and keep your positive outlook. We'll get there.
    I'm pretty late to this thread, and only just started to take all this seriously because I got a call from my doctor 2 days before leaving for a 1 week Florida vacation. I did a lot of walking along the beach.

But now that I've been home 7 days, and using my AppleWatch, I find that the ACTIVITY app is giving me motivation. I have "closed my rings" 7 out of 7 days since I've been home. Typically I beat the 30 minute exercise goal by almost double. Oddly I'm barely getting 10,000 steps in per day on some days but I manage to make up for that by doing yard work (been cutting wood). But the AppleWatch actually gives me daily "wins" as I hit my goals, and then also lets me know if I set new records.

I also use the Withings Health Mate app. It sync's to my blood pressure cuff and also to my Withings Cardio Scale. The scale tracks my Body Mass Index, Bone Density, Water %, Heart Rate, etc. I get graphic feedback from that app showing trends.

No weight loss yet. I think I'm converting fat to muscle? I HOPE!!!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got my hike in this morning, wore the ruck, and managed to get my personal best distance of 9.4, not real happy with my mile times, I guess I can blame that on the ruck and a little residual soreness from yesterday, but I’m still not happy with my performance.

Weight, well, I’ve been floating between 235-239 for awhile, I’ve been tracking calories, been hitting the weights 4-6 days a week, walking on off days and hiking hard on Sunday. I know I’m getting healthier, just need to get my mind over this being hung up on the number on the scale thing. I can’t blame my diet, it’s been pretty solid, lots of fruit and vegetables, smaller portions of lean proteins. I guess I can say I’m adding muscle mass and just go with it :):

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I kind plateaued in July, so I decided to go next level. I joined a gym and am now starting week six of a 12 week program. I also altered my diet slightly. I work out four times per week, and on those days, I'll eat a little heavier., and on recovery days, I'll back my food intake down slightly. I'm trying to both burn fat and add muscle. That's hard to do, but it can be done if you can find the sweet-spot.

Thanks. I will try to stay the course. I might try to get on the elliptical again, but right now I am in a deep pain/fatigue cycle with my fibromyalgia and psoriatic arthritis. Hopefully I can get myself out of it so I can move a bit more.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bought a pedometer last fall. Four moths ago started committing to 5 miles a day walking. Just plain walking. I don't always hit the goal, but 127 miles has been the least in a month since March. Little things like parking as far as I can from the store entrance, taking the long way around the store. I even pace the house when I am listening to a radio program.

I have gone low carbs, mostly lean meats and vegetables. Carbs I do eat come in apples and berries. No processed meats. Pretty much opposite of the cardiologists protocol recommendations. My formerly dangerously high blood pressure is now averaging 117/65 with a 62 bpm pulse, even after I have reduced my blood pressure meds by 50%. Since lowering the heart meds, my triglycerides are 40% lower, as BP meds artificially jack them up. The Cardiologist does not like me rejecting protocol therapeutic levels, but admits my plan is working. The drug salesmen who instruct the Dr's. on meds application are not interested in making you healthy.

Reactions: Leo

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

Was going to reply to you the other day when I saw your post and totally forgot.

Anyhoo congratulations on getting off the meds. I was finally able to get off blood pressure meds completely about a month ago. Feels good to be drug free again!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I actually lost a few pounds but the doctor upped my blood pressure meds and put me on low-dose (baby) aspirin. In addition to losing weight, I'd love to get off the meds, or at least reduce as much as possible.

Today I increased my exercise goal, the default on the AppleWatch is 30 minutes a day, I increased my daily goal to 40 minutes. But I have actually be averaging about 60 minutes per day since I got home from our Florida vacation. With high school coaching season starting soon I'm not really sure what my exercise schedule will be. Some days I'll easily be able to do 60 or more minutes, other days I may struggle to fit in 40 minutes. So rather than over-commit and fail, I'd rather under-commit and over-perform.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN

Wow, that's great.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    My 'official' weight is my morning weight each day. 199.8# I consider that 0.2 a victory!

FIRST TIME I'VE BEEN UNDER 200# in a couple years :woot:

Body Mass Index (BMI) has been dropping, still too high but now 27.1, lowest since I started measuring it (3+ years)
    Congratulations! That’s a good feeling!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well I was 0.2# below 200# on Tuesday with a weight of 199.8#.

I over-ate (healthy foods like fish, cauliflower and cucumber) yesterday and did 2 workouts.

Morning weight today was 198.9#

If I can lose about 1# to 2# per week then I should be close to my goal of 185# by mid-late October. I just hope to stay motivated to keep this up.

Tomorrow I'll be in Chicago and plan to eat a burger from Devil Dawgz. I used to order double breakfast burgers, but I plan to make it a regular single meat breakfast burger. It will be my first "cheat meal" in 12 days.

I'm seriously considering ordering a BELLO 2 Fat measuring device.

At $249 it is not a cheap choice but it appears to be a different take on not just weight but health by measuring different types of fat. BUT the last thing I want to do is screw up my system that now seems to be working for me. I was thinking that I'd buy it if I got to a steady 195# but I'm thinking maybe I'll wait until I get down to a steady 190# and then maybe try to get below 180#. If I can do that then I think I have a good chance of reducing my Blood Pressure medicines???

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Once you hit a plateau build in a few concurrent cheat days. And do no exercise. Eat whatever but try to not overly do it. Then go back to water and healthy small portions with lots of exercise. More than likely your body and metabolism have adjusted to your current diet and exercise regimen. You need to shock it with some junk to restart it

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Once you hit a plateau build in a few concurrent cheat days. And do no exercise. Eat whatever but try to not overly do it. Then go back to water and healthy small portions with lots of exercise. More than likely your body and metabolism have adjusted to your current diet and exercise regimen. You need to shock it with some junk to restart it
    I like the sounds of this! Of course I’m afraid if I try it I won’t want to go back :lmfao:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I can actually see changes in my body. My "dad bod" belly is noticeably smaller, my man-boobs are noticeably smaller. I'm just under 2 weeks into actual workouts, and 3 weeks into eating smarter and walking.

Another morning and another 30 minute workout.

On the exercise bike this morning, programmed for hilly route with varying resistance. During that 30 minutes I never leaned on the handlebars, but rather pumped 2# and 4# weights the entire 'ride' on bike.

Morning weight is 198.8 for the 2nd day in a row. I have decided that my "wake up" weight is my official weight in my journey to fitness. It is the only weight that eliminates most all the variables of food and drink. Typically I sleep for 6 to 7 hours so during that time there is no intake of food or fluids. At no other point in the day is that possible. So for consistency it is what I am using as "my" weight.

Another point, for people using one of the smart sensor scales like my Withings Cardio scale, since the scale measures hydration, body fat, muscle mass, etc and since food/drink intake change all that, the scale will give erratic readings for each of the various measuring points if you weigh yourself MORE THAN 1 TIME per day that throw off your 'trends' over a short term trend line. I found this out by accident, but it became obvious as soon I stopped stepping on the scale multiple times a day and went a couple days with only morning weights.

Top Bottom