• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    guess who's enabling two-factor authentication on the company's Office 365 accounts because our users keep falling for phishing emails, which allows their accounts to be compromised and send more malicious **** out to the entire company and our business partners

tumblr_octjboXak71vqsw2co2_500.gif

every complaint i get about it being too many steps or too cumbersome will be met with a hearty chuckle.
    Stay away from text messages for the second factor.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've seen stats that show even IT professionals fall for phishing/spear phishing about 10% of the time. (That may have been specific to the large organization I was involved in.)

People just get in a hurry.
    You think IT professional's have any clue about security? Using IT professional is worse than just saying lawyer. While lawyers all study come common law before possibly specializing, IT professionals generally know something about their area of expertise and little to nothing about any others. Our IT staff fails our test at close to the same rate as the rest of the company. If you take out those of us who actually know about security, it is probably the same.

We used to use a company that made some really good tests. The kind that you would receive if someone was actually actively targeting your company. The company failure rate got as high as 40%. In fact it was so bad, that sadly the next year the tests got mush easier.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You think IT professional's have any clue about security? Using IT professional is worse than just saying lawyer. While lawyers all study come common law before possibly specializing, IT professionals generally know something about their area of expertise and little to nothing about any others. Our IT staff fails our test at close to the same rate as the rest of the company. If you take out those of us who actually know about security, it is probably the same.

We used to use a company that made some really good tests. The kind that you would receive if someone was actually actively targeting your company. The company failure rate got as high as 40%. In fact it was so bad, that sadly the next year the tests got mush easier.

I was amazed at what I learned when I studied for the Security+ exam shortly after getting an InfoSec position. I'd worked IT for 15+ years prior to that. I told a previous manager of mine that I thought it would be good for lower level desktop and network people to have to get Security+ certified because of the info that could be learned that would be useful. I shudder to think of some of the things I did as an IT guy... :n00b:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I was amazed at what I learned when I studied for the Security+ exam shortly after getting an InfoSec position. I'd worked IT for 15+ years prior to that. I told a previous manager of mine that I thought it would be good for lower level desktop and network people to have to get Security+ certified because of the info that could be learned that would be useful. I shudder to think of some of the things I did as an IT guy... :n00b:
    :lmfao:
    As a network/security engineer it truly amazes me how little others in IT know about what I do. I wonder how many can even spell IP sometimes. :)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    As a network/security engineer it truly amazes me how little others in IT know about what I do. I wonder how many can even spell IP sometimes. :)

Yep. I agree. It has to do with companies not wanting to pay IT people worth a crap, at least support personnel. Everyone says support people are a dime a dozen, but that's not true. Good support people are hard to find and worth extra $$, but they tend to get :poop: everywhere they go. The Security+ and Network+ are great certs to get when you're starting out in IT. I like both much better than A+ which I found not overly worthwhile.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    LOL

I laugh only because I recognize the reality and absurdity of the attitude. If upper levels don't like bad results on the critical test, change the test to meet the compliance goals.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    LOL

I laugh only because I recognize the reality and absurdity of the attitude. If upper levels don't like bad results on the critical test, change the test to meet the compliance goals.
    Yep. The best and final one was about a fake merger or something. The C levels had a fit.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You sit around on your ass all day scanning for silly vulnerabilities in code written by people like me (who sits on his ass all day writing code that doesn't have silly vulnerabilities, I hope)?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yep. I agree. It has to do with companies not wanting to pay IT people worth a crap, at least support personnel. Everyone says support people are a dime a dozen, but that's not true. Good support people are hard to find and worth extra $$, but they tend to get :poop: everywhere they go. The Security+ and Network+ are great certs to get when you're starting out in IT. I like both much better than A+ which I found not overly worthwhile.

A friend of mine who did our support got let go awhile back. Millennial dude. Tattoos. Piercings. Stretched out ears. He wasn't let go because of that or performance. His position was eliminated. Sorry to see him go because on the job he was a tenacious grinder, and someone I could talk to about guns and comics.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You sit around on your ass all day scanning for silly vulnerabilities in code written by people like me (who sits on his ass all day writing code that doesn't have silly vulnerabilities, I hope)?
    No no. Not compliance. Operations :p

I am the one that configures the routers, switches, firewalls, and anything else that moves or filters traffic on the network.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I used to do that, but for the last 4 years I've done third party risk. Much more exciting... :rolleyes:

A friend of mine who did our support got let go awhile back. Millennial dude. Tattoos. Piercings. Stretched out ears. He wasn't let go because of that or performance. His position was eliminated. Sorry to see him go because on the job he was a tenacious grinder, and someone I could talk to about guns and comics.

Always sucks when someone who is good at their job (and good to talk to) gets let go. I've had it happen to me and I've seen it happens to others. No bueno.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I used to do that, but for the last 4 years I've done third party risk. Much more exciting... :rolleyes:

Always sucks when someone who is good at their job (and good to talk to) gets let go. I've had it happen to me and I've seen it happens to others. No bueno.
    Every year we go through a third party vulnerability assessment. Some consultants come in and run a bunch of automated canned scans, then give us a spreadsheet with a ****load of "vulnerabilities". No thought is put into what actual risk is associated with that vulnerability on said device. Everything is treated like it is sitting unprotected connected to the Internet. Such a colossal waste of time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Every year we go through a third party vulnerability assessment. Some consultants come in and run a bunch of automated canned scans, then give us a spreadsheet with a ****load of "vulnerabilities". No thought is put into what actual risk is associated with that vulnerability on said device. Everything is treated like it is sitting unprotected connected to the Internet. Such a colossal waste of time.

It was different when I did Vulnerability Management, as we were internal to the company and worked with the infrastructure group responsible for the equipment to come up with what needed to be patched or configured differently, what the priority was and how it should be completed. If they said something couldn't be done, we researched to verify, documented and ran up to management on both sides to authorize leaving as is, or putting mitigating controls in place if needed. I'm sure there were times when infrastructure hated us, but for the most part we had a good working relationship and tried to make sure we weren't just throwing lists and them saying "fix it".

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It was different when I did Vulnerability Management, as we were internal to the company and worked with the infrastructure group responsible for the equipment to come up with what needed to be patched or configured differently, what the priority was and how it should be completed. If they said something couldn't be done, we researched to verify, documented and ran up to management on both sides to authorize leaving as is, or putting mitigating controls in place if needed. I'm sure there were times when infrastructure hated us, but for the most part we had a good working relationship and tried to make sure we weren't just throwing lists and them saying "fix it".
    Patching vulnerabilities is great.

Telling me I have a slew of critical vulnerabilities because my switches and routers use self-signed certs for management, not so much. :):

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Patching vulnerabilities is great.

Telling me I have a slew of critical vulnerabilities because my switches and routers use self-signed certs for management, not so much. :):
    The self signed cert thing is bad. Most IT people don't even understand PKI let alone consumers bombarded by overly protective but ineffective web browsers.

My current favorite is when the security/policy office claims that a 0 day vulnerability must be patched on all windows systems immediately and pushes out the patch without even communicating to system owners before the patch goes out.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Well, you know what they say. "If you're not part of the solution, then you're a consultant"

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The self signed cert thing is bad. Most IT people don't even understand PKI let alone consumers bombarded by overly protective but ineffective web browsers.

My current favorite is when the security/policy office claims that a 0 day vulnerability must be patched on all windows systems immediately and pushes out the patch without even communicating to system owners before the patch goes out.
    For a website sure, but not when you are using it for an SSH session into a switch that is only accessible from the internal network.

What, you want some testing or something before you patch?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom