Porter County

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a conversation going on about ads, apps spying on you, etc...

Like you'll talk about a thing with someone... then soon after, you'll see ads for that thing on your phone/facebook/twitter.

Anyone here experience it? I don't use FB, so I wouldn't know that side of it.

How does that make you feel.... your phone always listening and spying on you

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Like you'll talk about a thing with someone... then soon after, you'll see ads for that thing on your phone/facebook/twitter.

I don't know about this, but the same thing happens to me totally unrelated to electronic devices. Like, someone will mention a gun that I've never heard of or seen before, and then the next gun show I go to, there will be 5 of them. Just using guns as an example but similar things seem to happen to me a lot. Wait, which pill do I take again? Red or blue? :): Maybe "they" ARE listening to my thoughts. I bet it's Comcast. :tinfoil:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    guess who's enabling two-factor authentication on the company's Office 365 accounts because our users keep falling for phishing emails, which allows their accounts to be compromised and send more malicious **** out to the entire company and our business partners

tumblr_octjboXak71vqsw2co2_500.gif

every complaint i get about it being too many steps or too cumbersome will be met with a hearty chuckle.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've seen stats that show even IT professionals fall for phishing/spear phishing about 10% of the time. (That may have been specific to the large organization I was involved in.)

People just get in a hurry.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

This has been happening more and more to me. Talking with my GF in the car about her daughter's pregnancy and clothes and the next day I'm seeing ads for birth control, dressbarn, etc. on my phone.
    More than a coincidence to me.

Although I read forums like INGO on my phone, I do no business on it. All my internet shopping and banking is done exclusively from my home Linux PC.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This has been happening more and more to me. Talking with my GF in the car about her daughter's pregnancy and clothes and the next day I'm seeing ads for birth control, dressbarn, etc. on my phone.
    More than a coincidence to me.

Although I read forums like INGO on my phone, I do no business on it. All my internet shopping and banking is done exclusively from my home Linux PC.

It may be listening.

But, it also may be the "recency effect", or where you drove, what your acquaintances were looking up, etc.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Top Bottom