• Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ugh.......I need to start some :coffee:

e-mail said my TRP will b here on Tuesday. Attached invoice said they adjusted the sights. This will not play well with me if it still shoots low left.
    I marked all of the critical parts in places they would not look. I will know.

Interested to hear how this goes...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    U are complicating this way to much! you show up with your fav handgun and we will make sure you are in the correct div.

1. You should see me get my room ready for school at the beginning of the year: it would take me a whole week to get ready for that 1st day! (not anymore, I'm old now and have a share a small room :laugh: ).
    2. You have to bring 5 magazines (I read), so I would not be able to bring any gun, except my Bersa Thunder 9 Pro XT competition pistol that came with 5 mags, but I wanted to use my CZ Shadow 2 (SAO) pistol, my most accurate with the Pro XT being a close 2nd.

"5) Magazines or speed loaders: 5 is the minimum requirement.
    If you do not bringenough magazines to complete all of the strings of fire, you will receive themaximum time for the strings of fire that you were unable to complete. We donot allow shooters to load magazines at the shooting line in between strings offire, as it slows down the shooting procedure for other competitors."

3. Then, sometime I'd like to bring a .22LR and some of those I only have 1 mag, sometimes 2, but only for my Smith 41 do I have 3 mags.

4. But, you are right: I do overthink, overplan and overprepare for anything too much.
    You should see how many targets I take with me to the range to make sure I don't run out and have to buy from the range (mine cost .16 cents to .35 cents) and I'll use 3-5 targets, but take 10 targets. :dunno:
    5. I might have to go watch one time just to clarify things like the # of magazines, since I've been told just to show up with my gun in a case (I will buy a holster for it, when I find one and figure out which gun to bring.
    6. The division will be the easy part, although someone will tell me which of the 4 divisions I should be in as a 1st-timer.
    7. Thanks for your input! :thumbsup:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    my Bersa Thunder 9 Pro XT competition pistol that came with 5 mags

This would probably be a good gun to run the first time. Has a more forgiving trigger to help with any first time adrenaline rush and/or jitters and you seem to shoot it plenty accurate.

Its been years and years since I did anything like this but my experience is to show up with they tell you (mags, gun, ammo, case, bag, etc.) and these groups are generally filled with awesome people that encourage first timers.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You have no idea what he is capable of. He will need to be his own squad on his own with an RO......:):
    He will need to write all this up and evaluate it on every stage..................:lmfao:

1. I'm hopeless and know it! :ugh: :wallbash:
    2. But, I do have so much fun and enjoy myself here! Which brings me back to: I'm hopeless. :laugh: :lmfao: :rofl:

3. I do appreciate the tolerance I get from here, recognizing I'm just an overly-excited boring person! :ingo: :thumbsup:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just got back from shooting with WT at PB. Today, I ran 50 rounds through the Phantom, 30 through the Model 10 and about 30 through the 686+.

That 686 is fantastic. I thought I was putting a good group together until WT shot it and put me to shame with a perfect set of bullseyes. It gives me room to improve, I guess.

The Phantom shot well. I really do need to Cajunized that one. The Model 10 needs a bit of paint on the front site. In the light at the range, I had a heck of a time picking that fixed blade up in the tiny fixed rear notch.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was the same way with Service Rifle and MNS matches and went to both just to watch. Half way through and I wish I was shooting.
    :yesway: I feel a little like I'm cheating when I run the Shadow 2.

1. And, I've turned mine into SAO and lightened up the triggers (via the Wizard), which, since you know me, probably still surprises you.
    2. You are still the one who gets the blame for me selling my CZ Tactical, 41 oz., to set my sights on a Shadow 2 after you letting me use it at that outdoor range in Columbus b/c I just had to have that 47 oz. Shadow 2.
    3. I just wouldn't give it back to you, especially when you introduced me to the steel plates: my first time, except for the little .22LR iron plate I had for my fun 30 yrs. ago.

This would probably be a good gun to run the first time. Has a more forgiving trigger to help with any first time adrenaline rush and/or jitters and you seem to shoot it plenty accurate.

4. Good insight from experience and that is what Tristan had told me as well, even though I'm fighting it (since I want to use my most accurate gun).
    5. The Bersa XT is almost as accurate in my hands (which has always amazed me), and even has beat the beloved and cherished Shadow 2 on a target before due to my lack of concentration. I will put a 1st shot in a near-direct bullseye (with any gun), and then proceed to shoot all around it in the next 9 shots (or 15-17). :wallbash:

Its been years and years since I did anything like this but my experience is to show up with they tell you (mags, gun, ammo, case, bag, etc.) and these groups are generally filled with awesome people that encourage first timers.

6. I understand, which is why I want to make sure they are really serious about the number of mags or just want a person to have "X" number of rounds available so you don't need to reload.
    7. I even had a person tell me that between stages they would wait on you to reload if you needed to do so, which seems to detract from the "5 magazine" rule (if you had 17 rounds on tap with 3 mags, for example).
    8. Until I know for sure this is something I want to do again and again, I don't want to buy extra $50 magazines for a 1-time use, but I don't care if I know it is something that I'll do in retirement for fun for the next 10 years.

Doddg: It looks like you can do a little Youtubing and get an idea of the course....I've never been to the facility but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqrvtX6u6R8

9. Thanks! I spent last night watching every vid that was online about the MARION COUNTY FISH AND GAME Friday Night Steel.
    10. I didn't even see anyone using a 2nd magazine on the 5-6 targets they were shooting at, adding to my lack of understanding about the "5 mag" rule. :scratch:
    11. I'll check out the link you sent, it's probably different than the vids I was looking at (limited to just the MCFG).

12. I can't wait to find out about this also:
    Ranges Rules and Program Guides
    BOWLING PINS RULES

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The 5 mags isn't a hard set rule, more of a suggestion of what to bring. The key point is, don't run out of bullets while the clock is running.

How about a hypothetical Doddg.

Lets say "stage 1" is a plate rack.
    191BC11C-1275-4A80-B5E1-19A2E29364F4_zpslhfnxuq4.jpg

There are 6 targets that you have to shoot. When the timer beeps, you shoot them. When you shoot the last one, the timer stops. That would be your first "string". They'll reset the targets, you'll be given the opportunity to "make ready" again. This means you can change to a fresh mag, if need be, not reload your mags. Then you shoot the targets again, your second string. It all repeats, then you shoot it a third time.

The plate rack is a common "stage", each "stage" gets shot 3 times consecutively, by each squad member. Each time is referred to as a "string".

If you are shooting with a 10 round mag, you will need a fresh mag for each string. If you're running a 30rd mag, probably not. How much are you going to miss? I've seen people go through 3 mags in a single string. A timer can add a lot of pressure.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I just got back from shooting with WT at PB. Today, I ran 50 rounds through the Phantom, 30 through the Model 10 and about 30 through the 686+.

That 686 is fantastic. I thought I was putting a good group together until WT shot it and put me to shame with a perfect set of bullseyes. It gives me room to improve, I guess.

The Phantom shot well. I really do need to Cajunized that one. The Model 10 needs a bit of paint on the front site. In the light at the range, I had a heck of a time picking that fixed blade up in the tiny fixed rear notch.

I really like that 686+ you have. I was looking and found that the only difference between the gun you have and the Talo edition gun I was looking at is the Talo edition has the 5" barrel instead of 6" and it has the nice looking black and silver wood grips, plus unfluted cylinders. I think I like the version you have better. I don't have any idea what difference unfluted barrels make... :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Aeroflyer does that the few times we have been to the range together.
    2. I am determined for him for him to not beat me with my own guns. I do everything right, but he does. :dunno:
    3. Sometimes I cannot even shoot through the tears when it is my turn. :lmfao:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I thought I was missing the target at first, then realized I'd put the first 3 shots in pretty much the same hole, dead center of the target. I never shoot a revolver that well. I was seriously impressed with that gun!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The 5 mags isn't a hard set rule, more of a suggestion of what to bring. The key point is, don't run out of bullets while the clock is running.

How about a hypothetical Doddg.

Lets say "stage 1" is a plate rack.
    191BC11C-1275-4A80-B5E1-19A2E29364F4_zpslhfnxuq4.jpg

There are 6 targets that you have to shoot. When the timer beeps, you shoot them. When you shoot the last one, the timer stops. That would be your first "string". They'll reset the targets, you'll be given the opportunity to "make ready" again. This means you can change to a fresh mag, if need be, not reload your mags. Then you shoot the targets again, your second string. It all repeats, then you shoot it a third time.

The plate rack is a common "stage", each "stage" gets shot 3 times consecutively, by each squad member. Each time is referred to as a "string".

If you are shooting with a 10 round mag, you will need a fresh mag for each string. If you're running a 30rd mag, probably not. How much are you going to miss? I've seen people go through 3 mags in a single string. A timer can add a lot of pressure.

If you miss the plate and hit the neighbors house, it is an automatic DQ...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom