Not open for further replies.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    So .... I started out wanting a long-barrel (20") AR10 last year, and purchased a fancy nitrided BCG, the fancy Magpul stock, etc.. But, the Bergara came along, and I decided that it made more sense to have a bolt gun for our Gala Event competitions.

However, I'd already come too far with the .308 AR10 to turn back. So finally, it came to total fruition today. It obviously needs an optic, and I have a 1-8X Vortex StrikeEagle that should be perfect. Hence, a 300 yard thumper is born !

(left-click photo to enlarge)
    i-JxLWqf6-XL.jpg
    Very nice, MM.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Any insights into 7" or 9" handguard for a 300 BO (16" barrel pistol length gas system as most/all are)? It'll just be for woods for the time being. I'll worry about the SBR route and tax stamps for HD after leaving Purdue.

FWIW, 7-9" seems short to me for a 16" barrel.

Here is a 12" Aero Precision Atlas S-One on a 16" barreled/pistol length gas system .300 BO. It measures a little over 12".

PXL_20210609_011853536 (Medium).jpg

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    FWIW, 7-9" seems short to me for a 16" barrel.

Here is a 12" Aero Precision Atlas S-One on a 16" barreled/pistol length gas system .300 BO. It measures a little over 12".

View attachment 156578
    Of course, I see this after ordering...

I ended up ordering a 9". I won't put irons on it as currently planned (ordered this discontinued Vortex 1x prism from Eurooptic for it). I went with 9" since that's a little more than 2 hand widths, should help keep the balance in the middiel, and comparing with my bolt guns... about the same length of handgrip area.

My 5.56 upper has a 13.5" handguard on it. I could steal that one away and slap a non-free float magpul grip on the 5.56 on the cheap.

This AR game is very daunting to me. More options for every part than I can imagine. I'm sure it's good to have the options, but dang, it's a lot to take in. For the next two years, it'll just be for fun and up close whitetail.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...This AR game is very daunting to me. More options for every part than I can imagine. I'm sure it's good to have the options, but dang, it's a lot to take in. For the next two years, it'll just be for fun and up close whitetail.

If you looked at all of my AR's you would find lots of similarities between them. After several years I found components I like and keep using them. It lets me ignore 99.9% of what's on the market now. My problem is I find a barrel I want but have no need for and I buy it. Then I have to build the next AR for it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Nice gun. Seems like it should have CF barrel. :stickpoke: :lmfao: :cool:

Nope, nada, not going to happen this time! I built that rifle especially for the Faxon fluted barrel I had for a couple of years unused.

Of course I could always buy a CF AR barrel just because I don't have one yet and then build a rifle around it. I usually go for heavy weapons for the stability while aiming but I'm old and getting older so maybe I should have one as light as possible...wait...did I say that out loud???

AAaarrrggggg!!! Now you got me thinking and that is always expensive. Jerk! :lmfao:

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    If you looked at all of my AR's you would find lots of similarities between them. After several years I found components I like and keep using them. It lets me ignore 99.9% of what's on the market now. My problem is I find a barrel I want but have no need for and I buy it. Then I have to build the next AR for it.
    Yeah. I'm just getting started, so I'm trying to learn what I can and stay within my grad student budget. I'm curious in the LaRue anti-rotation/locking system on their handguards. I was thinking about Centurion, but that would've been another Benjamin.. I'll worry about that for the next one.

I also ordered some stuff from Manta Defense to try out: https://mantadefense.com/ The 5.56 upper with the stag slimline handguard got pretty hot on a good and warm morning.

Weight matters a bit for me. I am the only hunter in the family that hoofs it up and down the hills and has to drag everything for the previous generation. Saving a pound on the rifle adds up after a few days.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Nope, nada, not going to happen this time! I built that rifle especially for the Faxon fluted barrel I had for a couple of years unused.

Of course I could always buy a CF AR barrel just because I don't have one yet and then build a rifle around it. I usually go for heavy weapons for the stability while aiming but I'm old and getting older so maybe I should have one as light as possible...wait...did I say that out loud???

AAaarrrggggg!!! Now you got me thinking and that is always expensive. Jerk! :lmfao:

I feel bad if I have upset you. Just send me a bill for your grief. I'll pay it twice....

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Weight matters a bit for me. I am the only hunter in the family that hoofs it up and down the hills and has to drag everything for the previous generation. Saving a pound on the rifle adds up after a few days.

For reference, the AR I posted weighs 6lb-3oz as pictured without a mag and ammo. Nothing real special there. A.P. upper and lower receivers and handguard.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    For reference, the AR I posted weighs 6lb-3oz as pictured without a mag and ammo. Nothing real special there. A.P. upper and lower receivers and handguard.
    Interesting. I haven't measured my current AR with the Stag completed RH upper (I was intimidated, but honestly the ADM lower was pretty easy to assemble). I don't think Stag will be around much longer. They keep running sales and continuations of sales. Not sure if that's them imploding as demand dies back down or just them trying to push sales, but it seems like something has sharply changed. The ADM lower is great from my little experience on it. I'm okay running some RH ejection versions for general use, but for myself, I want LH, even if it's not tacticool operator style.

I'm off to bed. Goodnight, everyone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78