Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Repaired the truck yesterday, damn little wire chewers. Had to raise the bed up on the drivers side 6" to get to the Fuel Tank Pressure Switch. Changes the switch and repaired the wiring.
    Wire insulation made out of soybean oil?

Never have quite come to grips with that being fact or fiction. Plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests fact but plenty of petro-based wiring insulation chewed which leans towards the soy thing being myth/internet enhanced.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Never have quite come to grips with that being fact or fiction. Plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests fact but plenty of petro-based wiring insulation chewed which leans towards the soy thing being myth/internet enhanced.
    Oh I think it was definitely a thing but the chewers are opportunists. I’ve seen rats chew through the copper when there was pig feed nearby.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County

They use soybean and peanut oil from what I’ve been told. This is not the first time this has happened to me. They got some wiring on a Traverse we owned.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

PVC today is plasticized with epoxidized soybean oil, different from the straight material. It replaced pthalates because pseudo chemists thought that the whole family of pthalates looked too much like estrogen in it's chemical structure and was responsible for hormone problems in children. At least that's the story presented by personal injury law firms representing soccer moms. The same people who think raccoons are starship pilots, but I'm digressing.

Some epoxidized soybean oil has always been used as an stabilizer in PVC as it's inexpensive.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Finally caught the bug the rest of the family had. Slept 12 hours last night and needed it. ibuprofen is finally kicking in. Hope I kick this thing before work on Monday. Just makes for a bad weekend for everyone, especially when Saturday is supposed to be “Dad-urday”.

Hope y’all stay healthy. There’s some nasty stuff going around.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    PVC today is plasticized with epoxidized soybean oil, different from the straight material. It replaced pthalates because pseudo chemists thought that the whole family of pthalates looked too much like estrogen in it's chemical structure and was responsible for hormone problems in children. At least that's the story presented by personal injury law firms representing soccer moms.
    You mean the same people who think giving hormones to prepubescent children with gender dysphoria is ok?

The same people who think raccoons are starship pilots, but I'm digressing.

Raccoons are starship pilots, haven't you seen Guardians of the Galaxy?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom