Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Did you see the MAC video on the RIA 10mm 1911 that he scored for under $400?

I might watch the video later, but that RIA has been on my list of possibilities. It won't be a gun I'll shoot a lot and it would free up quite a bit of money for ammo. Or reloading supplies should I choose to load 10mm myself.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    IT jargon makes me more stupider. Might as well be Chinese algebra.
    It is all relative. I've made a lucrative living for almost 50 years mostly doing COBOL on a mainframe, a career path my councilor at IUPUI advised me against in 1979. Every time I hear them talking about reinstalling their VMs(...which they seem to fuss with more than their actual work), my head hurts and I want to retire!

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Some that are in the tank have access doors under the rear seat to pull it from the tank.

On fj's folks will often remove the back seat and cut their own access to it.

Hilarious yet informative video on doing that

Folks will do a similar thing on the F-body Camaro/Firebirds. I actually just cut the “trap door” on my Firebird last weekend and installed a waterproof electrical connector in the pump harness. No need to remove seats on these cars though, I just had to roll up the carpet in the back hatch. I dropped the tank the last time I had to take the pump out and it turned out to be such a pain I vowed never again on this car.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Folks will do a similar thing on the F-body Camaro/Firebirds. I actually just cut the “trap door” on my Firebird last weekend and installed a waterproof electrical connector in the pump harness. No need to remove seats on these cars though, I just had to roll up the carpet in the back hatch. I dropped the tank the last time I had to take the pump out and it turned out to be such a pain I vowed never again on this car.
    There may be a way to do it on the FJ without removing the seats as well since the bottom of the seat just folds up, but might be easier with it completely out of the way.

I do have the common fj issue where the has gauge basically will no longer go below 1/8 tank. Above that it's pretty accurate and I just watch the mileage per tank.

I haven't vaped enough to take the Sawzall to my floor board quite yet, myself to yank it out and fix the float.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    There may be a way to do it on the FJ without removing the seats as well since the bottom of the seat just folds up, but might be easier with it completely out of the way.

I do have the common fj issue where the has gauge basically will no longer go below 1/8 tank. Above that it's pretty accurate and I just watch the mileage per tank.

I haven't vaped enough to take the Sawzall to my floor board quite yet, myself to yank it out and fix the float.
    Yeah, a lot of guys with more collectible model Firebird/Trans Ams won’t cut up the floors and I get that. Mines not one of those cars though, it’s just a fun, spare time project. The first time, I dropped the tank and did everything by the book thinking “I’ll only have to do this once”. Jokes on me. Ever since I put it back together the fuel gauge is stuck at full. After doing some research it sounds like these pump assemblies are finicky if you don’t get them set in the perfect spot and cause the floats to stick. So I get to do it again. :facepalm: But trap door this time.

Edit:
    1693162937831.jpeg

I have a 1/8” aluminum plate that will get cut slightly larger and screwed down with sealant after the sending unit is fixed.

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I hear it's gonna be over 105° over Labor Day. Too hot.

Although I'm glad that we put a small air conditioner in the cabin .... the point of the cabin it to be outside. So, it's nice to be able to escape from the heat, but the heat still puts a damper on things.

Finally, it was cool enough to hit the backyard for some insect shots. Stalking the little ones shows what I've always thought .... those little creatures are more 'aware' than we give them credit for !
    Let your shadow cover them, or shake their branch the tiniest ..... and zziiippp ..... off they go, faster then lightning.

Sheesh .... now, I suppose I have to learn insect names !!! For now, here are some bugs.

3H4A2284%20copy-XL.jpg

3H4A2293%20copy-XL.jpg

3H4A2273%20copy-XL.jpg

3H4A2267%20copy-XL.jpg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Although I'm glad that we put a small air conditioner in the cabin .... the point of the cabin it to be outside. So, it's nice to be able to escape from the heat, but the heat still puts a damper on things.

Finally, it was cool enough to hit the backyard for some insect shots. Stalking the little ones shows what I've always thought .... those little creatures are more 'aware' than we give them credit for !
    Let your shadow cover them, or shake their branch the tiniest ..... and zziiippp ..... off they go, faster then lightning.

Sheesh .... now, I suppose I have to learn insect names !!! For now, here are some bugs.

3H4A2284%20copy-XL.jpg

3H4A2293%20copy-XL.jpg

3H4A2273%20copy-XL.jpg

3H4A2267%20copy-XL.jpg
    These pictures are incredible!
    Well done MM!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Does the macro lense have that large of a depth of field or did you use focus stacking (if that is the correct name)?
    I shot at F8, so I was not very stopped-down. These are extensive crops of the original images .... the lens holds 'detail' amazingly well when enlarged.

Yes, this camera does have 'focus stacking' (Canon actually calls it 'focus bracketing'), but it wasn't used in the photos above. I will tend to use stacking when the camera is on a tripod, so it doesn't move between shots.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I might watch the video later, but that RIA has been on my list of possibilities. It won't be a gun I'll shoot a lot and it would free up quite a bit of money for ammo. Or reloading supplies should I choose to load 10mm myself.
    The RIA 10mm is a good option for the most budget minded as they have upped their game lately but I really think a checkered front strap would be a great option that would be missed if you were to get one. Jmnsho :dunno:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The RIA 10mm is a good option for the most budget minded as they have upped their game lately but I really think a checkered front strap would be a great option that would be missed if you were to get one. Jmnsho :dunno:
    Have you looked at this?

$599 plus tax and shipping at Classic Firearms

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Have you looked at this?

$599 plus tax and shipping at Classic Firearms

That has "Spicy" written all over it.