The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    DeXc2F0WAAEHUBB.jpg

If you know the history behind this picture below, and the three men in it, then two of the three examples above, are correct.
    But, I understand the sentiment, and it's appreciated.

99lzwi.jpg

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    So you're saying ... That Trump thinks a white hero is better than a black hero? I don't believe that for a second, and I believe you're smarter than to believe that. I can't explain what gets reaction and what doesn't, but for all Trump's faults, I don't think he's the flaming racist you make him sound like, and I betcha Ben Carson doesn't believe he is, either.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Doesn't fit his into narrative he's crafting, or it's an afterthought. You tell me. He vilifies certain people, and he recognizes certain people. He finds time to sympathize with Tomi Lahren over having water being thrown at her, but doesn't have time to recognize the Waffle House guy. And it's not the first time, he brings attention to some things, but not another... like the guys planning to bomb the Somali apartment complex, or the Muslim girl who was kidnapped, and beaten to death or the Canadian Islamic center attack where 6 people were killed... but he has no issue bring up a deranged Muslim guy in Australia, that kills one person. It seems obvious to me, there's not equal attention paid... but perhaps, I'm wrong. You have another reason that you might think I'm missing?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'd gladly buy both these fellows a beer or a cold soda, any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. p.s.: what was the subject being guarded?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/448021-good-news-thread-4.html#post7544386

https://www.wthr.com/article/powerful-photo-shows-braves-fan-hold-umbrella-over-jrotc-member
    Powerful photo shows Braves fan hold umbrella over JROTC member

The photo posted to the Braves' Twitter account shows a fan holding an umbrella over a Marine Corps JROTC member to keep him dry during the game.
    The cadet is standing at attention next to SunTrust Park's memorial dedicated to all of the soldiers who were Prisoners of War or Missing in Action, according to 11Alive.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I saw it live on TV but was four years old and don't remember it...Caused a bit of a stir at the time...

It was the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. Just athletes using their 15 minutes for making political statements just because they can run 200 meters very fast. Personally I hate to see that in the Olympics where most nations get together for pure athletic competition. Traditionally NOT the place for black power stuff or any other political stuff.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Hitler made the first political statement at the Olympics, that I am aware of, when he refused to honor the outstanding performance of Jesse Owens in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. So the group that make political statements at the Olympics is not a thing I would want to be any part of.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It was the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. Just athletes using their 15 minutes for making political statements just because they can run 200 meters very fast. Personally I hate to see that in the Olympics where most nations get together for pure athletic competition. Traditionally NOT the place for black power stuff or any other political stuff.

1968 was a strange year.....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Doesn't fit his into narrative he's crafting, or it's an afterthought. You tell me. He vilifies certain people, and he recognizes certain people. He finds time to sympathize with Tomi Lahren over having water being thrown at her, but doesn't have time to recognize the Waffle House guy. And it's not the first time, he brings attention to some things, but not another... like the guys planning to bomb the Somali apartment complex, or the Muslim girl who was kidnapped, and beaten to death or the Canadian Islamic center attack where 6 people were killed... but he has no issue bring up a deranged Muslim guy in Australia, that kills one person. It seems obvious to me, there's not equal attention paid... but perhaps, I'm wrong. You have another reason that you might think I'm missing?

Maybe you have a world view which interprets the missing pieces as whistles? :dunno:

My point is that you make a claim without all the information. You're obviously filling in the details from somewhere. I don't have all the information either. Maybe my internal bias makes me tend to have more of a wait and see attitude on some things more than others. But maybe your bias fills in the unknown parts of the story with facts from what you think the story is.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Shaw himself caused some of the hesitation to call him a hero. He said “I want people to know that I did that completely out of a selfish act,” he said. “I was completely doing it just to save myself.” And "I didn't really fight that man to save everybody else... I took the gun so I could get myself out." These are not the noises he should be making to be considered a hero. I think everybody wants Shaw to be the hero and I think he either figured this out or people told him to stop making those noises because his more recent interviews don't sound like that. So now that he himself is on board, everybody else can be. He is a hero, even if an unintentional one, and now he will be considered one.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Some people are so prejudiced that it really doesn't matter what President Trump does, it will be criticized. Little things like details and facts don't matter, just jump all over it. Maybe if it is repeated enough times and loud enough... yeah, that's the ticket.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So you're saying ... That Trump thinks a white hero is better than a black hero? I don't believe that for a second, and I believe you're smarter than to believe that. I can't explain what gets reaction and what doesn't, but for all Trump's faults, I don't think he's the flaming racist you make him sound like, and I betcha Ben Carson doesn't believe he is, either.

Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. The president has repeatedly omitted certain people or faiths whenever he goes he gives the public a "heads up" concerning their safety. I'm looking at it from a very basic perspective, of what I've notice happening, and not happening. If you have any reason why my observation inaccurate please. I'm willing to hear it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Plus James Shaw Jr saw people murdered in the waffle house and when he got a chance he overpowered the assailant, took his gun away and threw it over the counter and then LET THE GUY GO?!? What is that about? Who would do that? and why? That should make one hesitate until one finds out more.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Some people are so prejudiced that it really doesn't matter what President Trump does, it will be criticized. Little things like details and facts don't matter, just jump all over it. Maybe if it is repeated enough times and loud enough... yeah, that's the ticket.

It's not some wacky thing I came up with on my own. I did think about it originally, thinking "let's see if he recognizes this guy." He didn't, and I wasn't surprised. Other outlets and people have recognized this trend too. So enough people think it, to make it a topic for consideration.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Plus James Shaw Jr saw people murdered in the waffle house and when he got a chance he overpowered the assailant, took his gun away and threw it over the counter and then LET THE GUY GO?!? What is that about? Who would do that? and why? That should make one hesitate until one finds out more.

You're not helping the case, as you appear to be arguing that Shaw was intially overlooked due to his actions at the Waffle House. I have seen no indication that Shaw, had the skills, or knowledge to respond in a better way than he did. Shaw was shot, and acted when he had the chance. To put a cherry on it, he showed his class by starting a gofundme page for the victims, which has raised over $200K.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's not some wacky thing I came up with on my own. I did think about it originally, thinking "let's see if he recognizes this guy." He didn't, and I wasn't surprised. Other outlets and people have recognized this trend too. So enough people think it, to make it a topic for consideration.

People on the same side recognizing the same things doens't make the things recognized due to the things claimed.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. The president has repeatedly omitted certain people or faiths whenever he goes he gives the public a "heads up" concerning their safety. I'm looking at it from a very basic perspective, of what I've notice happening, and not happening. If you have any reason why my observation inaccurate please. I'm willing to hear it.

If 13% of the people he singles out for praise are black going forward, will that be satisfactory (Or perhaps a higher percentage? You know, to make up for past discrimination)? I think not

Déjà vu all over again. Not only have I seen this movie before, but it seems like it's on on some channel every night.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom