The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You forget that is the preferred method used by the IRA and the African National Congress in South Africa?

How many Americans have the IRA and the ANC killed? That is the noteworthy difference. Providing a forum for mediation, isn't the same as negotiating for personal interests, and the United States has a LONG history of the former.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How many Americans have the IRA and the ANC killed? That is the noteworthy difference. Providing a forum for mediation, isn't the same as negotiating for personal interests, and the United States has a LONG history of the former.
    Sometimes, in practical terms, the two goals are effectively the same thing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sometimes, in practical terms, the two goals are effectively the same thing.

If you say it's in our best interests, sure I'll buy that. But I really don't think other than global security the things are all that related. I think this administration planned this poorly. I don't want any member of the Taliban setting foot on US soil. Especially a few days before the 9/11 anniversary. How absolutely dumb does that look. Why not send Pompeo to Afghanistan, and have a sitdown in Kabul?
    But, in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if there ever really was a meeting or if the president let his twitter fingers get the best of him, and everyone at the state department was like ":ugh: not again."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you say it's in our best interests, sure I'll buy that. But I really don't think other than global security the things are all that related. I think this administration planned this poorly. I don't want any member of the Taliban setting foot on US soil. Especially a few days before the 9/11 anniversary. How absolutely dumb does that look. Why not send Pompeo to Afghanistan, and have a sitdown in Kabul?
    But, in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if there ever really was a meeting or if the president let his twitter fingers get the best of him, and everyone at the state department was like ":ugh: not again."

I guess it got people to stop talking about Alabama.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've gotta agree that I was'nt to hip when I heard about the Taliban coming here either.

As far as the meeting being abruptly cancelled though, if indeed there was one, I think Trump had a legit reason for doing so given the recent refusal by the Taliban to curb the bombings.

I believe he stated that he has doubts the Taliban has the capacity to broker a deal in good faith at this time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I tire of criticizing Trump for bad form, and that's all the Taliban negotiation thing is: a decent idea that he twisted into a political talking point.

In the modern era, you don't want to be known for negotiating with terrorists, because the conventional wisdom is that it begets more terrorism. But, you kinda need to negotiate with terrorists to get them to stop. So, it is done discretely.

I very much doubt there's any workable middle ground to negotiate towards with the Taliban. Shutting down private negotiations until they can meet a modicum of stability and control with their own people is completely reasonable. But no one needs to know about it except them and us.

And, overall, this really is just a distraction from whatever else he's doing.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Cheating at golf?

Most recent conversation heard at the White House:

Trump: (After 45 minutes talking about how great he is). "So....enough about me. Why don't you talk about me for awhile?"

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://theweek.com/articles/862985/does-america-have-moral-imperative-stay-afghanistan-forever
    Does America have a moral imperative to stay in Afghanistan forever?

Surprisingly sensible viewpoint on the pages of a very left wing source. Blind squirrel

The peeps that think we need to stay in Afghanistan indefinitely, so that their women (inside the green lines) won't have to put on the housecoat again or some other doomed to fail social engineering feel-good reason, will not approve

Edit: 2 1/2 months to shatter the Taliban and al-Qaeda, 17.8 years (and counting) to fail to convince/make religious luddites toe the line to form a western-styled society

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wow.

Bolton gone.

Didn't see that coming.

Kinder and gentler foreign policy on the way?

I saw that coming when he first sign on to the Trump train. He's a warhawk, and I can't possibly think that it sat too well with him the way the Trump administration is coddling Russia, North Korea and his overtures to the Taliban. And if it's true that the Trump administration is blocking arms from going to the Ukraine, the meeting with the Taliban was probably the final straw.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    https://theweek.com/articles/862985/does-america-have-moral-imperative-stay-afghanistan-forever
    Does America have a moral imperative to stay in Afghanistan forever?

Surprisingly sensible viewpoint on the pages of a very left wing source. Blind squirrel

The peeps that think we need to stay in Afghanistan indefinitely, so that their women (inside the green lines) won't have to put on the housecoat again or some other doomed to fail social engineering feel-good reason, will not approve

Edit: 2 1/2 months to shatter the Taliban and al-Qaeda, 17.8 years (and counting) to fail to convince/make religious luddites toe the line to form a western-styled society

Another well informed post. The religious leaders who have thoroughly entrenched themselves in the culture will never adopt Western Ideology. It will always be some form of Islam unless there is a forcible invasion by Westerners that destroys and outlaws all aspects of Islamic life for at least 60 years. A long enough time for all of the old guard to die off. We'll never sign up for that though, as we see all ideologies as being equally good, and don't have the stomach to be unyielding tyrants.

Going full Godwin... When we liberated Berlin we didn't say, "you know what, NAZI-ism is just as good as anything else," and let them stay in power. When they tore down "the wall" they didn't say, "let's let the commies stay in the government." But Islam though...it's just a religion of peace and we're super tolerant of all religions, because they're all equally good.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The aftermath of The Two was a singular event, and we had a very free hand. IMO we failed to learn from Korea, the French experience in Algeria and Vietnam, and the Russian experience in Afghanistan. Total war works provided your objectives can be obtained by wholesale destruction as what should have been our goals vis a vis al-Qaeda and the Taliban. When you start trying to hold territory and effect political change without utterly bringing the people to their knees and killing virtually all the troublemakers (that don't get the Nuremberg treatment) is where it goes off the rails. It's a different world, now. Witness that few people held for involvement in 9/11 have been tried. If they were tried in an international court they would be just as likely freed as convicted. During and after The Two, everybody agreed who the bad guys were

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom