The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I’ve got the feeling that the take would be different if something similar to this were to happen under the Obama administration.

I’ve made no secret that I’ve been a Trump supporter but I also believe in accountability no matter who’s administration it falls under.

It also seems logical to me that this was all done at the direction of the POTUS.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I’ve got the feeling that the take would be different if something similar to this were to happen under the Obama administration.

I’ve made no secret that I’ve been a Trump supporter but I also believe in accountability no matter who’s administration it falls under.

It also seems logical to me that this was all done at the direction of the POTUS.

So out of all those $Billions that obummer gave to select companies that then failed - Solyndra is only one of many - how much ended up back in his secret accounts?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So out of all those $Billions that obummer gave to select companies that then failed - Solyndra is only one of many - how much ended up back in his secret accounts?

Obama "secret accounts?" Well damn, how secret could they be if some nameless person in Indiana knows about them? :dunno:

#worstscamever

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Have no idea. If you’ve got proof that Obama had any such secret accounts or had stock in any of those companies that he could’ve potentially profited from I would be interested to hear about it.

Show me what’cha got.

And just so there’s no misunderstanding I am not in anyway an Obama defender.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Paging Jamil. Your language is Never ever acceptable

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1170434381003001857

Yesterday, someone at a @KamalaHarris event called Pres. Trump “mentally retarded.”

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1170444608637153285

Kamala said:
    When my staff played the video from my town hall yesterday, it was upsetting. I didn’t hear the words the man used in that moment, but if I had I would’ve stopped and corrected him. I’m sorry. That word and others like it aren’t acceptable. Ever.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I’m just wondering how many would be ok with a local government official directing government business toward entities that they had a financial interest in?

Be honest.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Have no idea. If you’ve got proof that Obama had any such secret accounts or had stock in any of those companies that he could’ve potentially profited from I would be interested to hear about it.

Show me what’cha got.

And just so there’s no misunderstanding I am not in anyway an Obama defender.

Stock? If you give a company $Millions and $Millions of taxpayer's money and they go bankrupt a short time later - and you do this over and over - you sure don't want to have stock in those companies.

But to answer your question - I do not have any proof whatsoever and not looking for any and also I am not about to start every forum post with "this is my opinion".

And I am not an obummer defender either. :)

I will say that it would not surprise me one bit if lots of past presidents and congressdroids had secret accounts in Switzerland or the Caymans.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I’m just wondering how many would be ok with a local government official directing government business toward entities that they had a financial interest in?

Be honest.

Things like that are what law/lobby firms in dc take care of, quietly.;)

Always follow the money

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Stock? If you give a company $Millions and $Millions of taxpayer's money and they go bankrupt a short time later - and you do this over and over - you sure don't want to have stock in those companies.

But to answer your question - I do not have any proof whatsoever and not looking for any and also I am not about to start every forum post with "this is my opinion".

And I am not an obummer defender either. :)

I will say that it would not surprise me one bit if lots of past presidents and congressdroids had secret accounts in Switzerland or the Caymans.
    I can agree that it would be a pretty stupid move to invest in solar energy stock as a main alternative to our energy needs but my over all point was about having a personal financial interest in the companies that you direct government business to.

I am not aware of any such connection concerning Obama's dealings, of which I was not in the least bit supportive of btw, but the fact remains the same that Trump does indeed have a financial interest in the properties where government business was directed and like I said before there would be no other logical reason to believe that Trump did'nt have a hand in it or at the very least did'nt have knowledge of.

I think my simplified analogy where I asked the question of anyone being ok with the ethical nature of one of their local government officials directing government business toward entities that they have a financial interest in pretty much explains how some might take an issue with Trump over the current issue.

IMO it's a legit issue that was raised by some and not something that should've been brushed off as just another example of TDS

With that I think this issue has pretty much ran it's course for this discussion any way as far as I'm concerned and I'm satisfied that I've established the point that I was trying to get across.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So how does everyone feel about this?
    [FONT=&quot]A Saturday night tweet from the US president said that “unbeknownst to almost everyone” major Taliban leaders were going to meet him at the presidential retreat in Maryland and, separately, so was the president of [/FONT]Afghanistan[FONT=&quot], but that Trump had “called off” the negotiations after the Taliban claimed responsibility for a blast in Kabul that killed 12 people including a US soldier on Thursday.[/FONT]
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/08/donald-trump-afghanistan-taliban-talks-camp-david

Inviting the Taliban to US soil to negotiate? I thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists. I view this differently in theory, because unlike North Korea, the Taliban aren't the government of Afghanistan. They quite literally are a organization that almost solely carries out terrorist activities. The only mitigating thing I can think of, is that the president made this up, and wasn't expecting the backlash that he got.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The obummer administration started secret negotiations with the taliban in 2010 and continued for years and eventually led to obummer releasing hard-core taliban prisoners in 2014. He didn't do very well at all.

I suppose new negotiations are worth a try since negotiations are one tool in the box to try to deal with terrorism. Personally I don't think the taliban will negotiate in good faith and the outcome won't be satisfactory. Trump probably couldn't do as bad as obummer did but I don't hold high hopes for any meaningful resolution.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So how does everyone feel about this?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/08/donald-trump-afghanistan-taliban-talks-camp-david

Inviting the Taliban to US soil to negotiate? I thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists. I view this differently in theory, because unlike North Korea, the Taliban aren't the government of Afghanistan. They quite literally are a organization that almost solely carries out terrorist activities. The only mitigating thing I can think of, is that the president made this up, and wasn't expecting the backlash that he got.
    The Taliban is more than just a terrorist organization. If we ever want to get out of Afghanistan, we are going to have to either eradicate whole areas of the population or get them to the table to talk.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Taliban is more than just a terrorist organization. If we ever want to get out of Afghanistan, we are going to have to either eradicate whole areas of the population or get them to the table to talk.

And that table should be at Camp David? The Taliban seem more than content to continue killing, what incentive do they have to negotiate?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe they think they can get more of their captured terrorists handed back to them like obummer did - good luck with that one.

So you also think that negotiating with the Taliban, is as poorly conceived now, as it was then. It's just harder, for some, to criticize because of political leanings.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So you also think that negotiating with the Taliban, is as poorly conceived now, as it was then. It's just harder, for some, to criticize because of political leanings.

Why are you trying to twist my words? That isn't polite. Just read what I said.

"I suppose new negotiations are worth a try since negotiations are one tool in the box to try to deal with terrorism."

What we don't want to do is lose any negotiations as bad as obummer did.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And that table should be at Camp David? The Taliban seem more than content to continue killing, what incentive do they have to negotiate?

Which is I guess why Trump canceled.

I think it's kinda [STRIKE]amazing[/STRIKE] predictable how people fail to criticize president's they like for things they would otherwise disagree with.

I think it's kinda [STRIKE]amazing[/STRIKE] predictable how people figure out what to criticize about a president's actions when it's a President they hate.

So what do I think about this? Well, on principle, I don't like the idea. Trump isn't long on principle. He's probably the most pragmatic president we've had, so it does not surprise me when he does things that I would think are a no-no. But. Should critics melt down over this? Eh, probably not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom