The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So how did rolling over square with the assertion that we could have elected him? Is this some blame the voter scheme for not being interested in the candidate some think they want? Seems like failure to launch is on him

There are lots of reasons for a candidate's failures, but it is never the candidate's fault. - Hilary

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The original statement is true. Obviously Rand didn't do nearly well enough to actually get elected. Not sure why you are arguing the point.

Because recently I think Rand has cultivated grandstanding theatrics to stay in the public eye. He actually has something to say, he shouldn't have to. We don't need another McCain

Assuming you're in IN, your primary was in May, ours was in March and Rand had already dropped out by February - so 'we' couldn't have elected a candidate who shot up the tax code with an AR, unless their was another one

It's an ugly truth, but Rand decided he'd rather run successfully for senator than take his chances on being the Republican presidential nominee. Not 'our' fault

""The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars ..."

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Because recently I think Rand has cultivated grandstanding theatrics to stay in the public eye. He actually has something to say, he shouldn't have to. We don't need another McCain

Assuming you're in IN, your primary was in May, ours was in March and Rand had already dropped out by February - so 'we' couldn't have elected a candidate who shot up the tax code with an AR, unless their was another one

It's an ugly truth, but Rand decided he'd rather run successfully for senator than take his chances on being the Republican presidential nominee. Not 'our' fault

""The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars ..."

but in your logic?

America, my friend, could have elected Rand, but chose not to. You are assuming the meme creator meant Indiana or Ohio. Not sure why. I don't insist on being considered separately from America.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    but in your logic?

America, my friend, could have elected Rand, but chose not to. You are assuming the meme creator meant Indiana or Ohio. Not sure why. I don't insist on being considered separately from America.

Rand Paul would have been lightyears better than the other two choices we had. I would've happily voted for him.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wouldn't that all-but-guarantee that the party with more candidates running would lose the general election?

Not necessarily. I do think it would force parties to be more strategic in hownthey decide who to run. And hat should indeed be the parties’ choice. I think it would force parties to pick stronger candidates.

Also the media would be less influential because even they’re split on which Democrat to support. In the general election now, they unite around whichever Democrat won the primary. And they unify against the Republican candidate who won the GOP primary. Do away with the primary system and replace it with rank order general elections (states still elect the POTUS through EC) and it ****s up the media’s world.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Not necessarily. I do think it would force parties to be more strategic in hownthey decide who to run. And hat should indeed be the parties’ choice.

So citizens wouldn't have any say in who they get to vote for. Am I missing something?

Edit: Neither Reagan nor Trump would have been selected by the GOP using that system.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    but in your logic?

I'm saying that by the time you or I could have 'elected' him to be anything, he had already bailed. So 'America' never could have elected him anything because he wasn't on 'America's' ballot

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So citizens wouldn't have any say in who they get to vote for. Am I missing something?

Edit: Neither Reagan nor Trump would have been selected by the GOP using that system.

With a rank order system, party becomes less relevant. In a two-party system, being in one of the two parties is vital to a win. Independents never win. They’re just spoilers. Either the Democrat or Republican will win. Probably it would take some time for parties and candidates and voters to figure it out. But when the dust settles, we’d likely see more parties and a greater diversity along ideological lines.

would Reagan have been elected? Well, who knows? We didn’t have that system then. But it was a landslide anyway. I think there would have been a high chance that he could have won.

Trump? No. Probably not. He would have fared okay with first place votes, but likely wouldn’t have fared well as anyone’s second or third choice. Same with Sanders for the left. Not much middle ground with Trump or Sanders. You either love them or you don’t.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    So someone help me out. Why are the adult children of the president accompanying on an official visit, on the taxpayer's dime?

30w06dh.jpg

I'll give you Jared and Ivanka, who are advisors, but the Don Jr, Eric (and wife), and Tiffany? They were NOT invited. The president did however say that he wanted his children to have a "Next Generation," meeting with William and Harry.... I'm not sure why, as the presidency isn't a heirediatry position (at least not yet). I personally, do not think we should be paying for the field trips for adults.

According to this source, perhaps questionable to Kut?, they paid their own way.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/news...en-paid-to-be-on-state-visit-to-uk/ar-AACrTW9

I mean it is MSN, so Im not sure Kut can trust that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    how do you know they didn't pay there own way????????

According to this source, perhaps questionable to Kut?, they paid their own way.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/news...en-paid-to-be-on-state-visit-to-uk/ar-AACrTW9

I mean it is MSN, so Im not sure Kut can trust that.

The article is from MSN. The source of the comment is a "White House official." I have no issues believing that what MSN reported is accurate; White House officials, on the other hand....

?????????

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ?????????

It means that if MSN (or CNN, or NBC, ABC, CBS... you get the idea) had quoted "anonymous sources" as they usually do, that said that they didn't pay their own way, it would've accepted as the the gospel truth. But since the article quoted "Whitehouse sources", it's automatically discounted.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think Shapiro got something right. Biden doesn't have any intersections (other than age, which isn't helpful) so he'll have to go hard left/anti-trump to maintain traction. But then the more he does that the more he alienates the moderates. I think his lead will fizzle. I kinda suspect Bernie will eventually be the front-runner.

He does seem willing to flip positions at any given moment to appeal to whatever he thinks will work

Joe Biden's flip-flop on the Hyde Amendment reeks of insincerity

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom