The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Nah. He should have to follow the same rules congress does when they ride on corporate travel and take junkets. He should have to reimburse the comparable coach fair for each and whatever it would cost to stay at the HoJo
    Upon further review, by me, if they were on the same flight as the President, there is nothing wrong with that. There isn't really any extra cost anyway.

They should be paying any other expenses they incur while on the trip though.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But many of the expenses will be related to security, and in fact it is possible that any use by them of a different hotel might increase security costs and negate any savings. It's like the expenses associated with a destination wedding, about the only real choice is to go or not to go, most everything else is a squeeze play

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A brief glimpse at the capacity for divisions and adversary to be put aside for humanity and respect

D8Y4FFnW4AANaVF.png:large

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is what is retarded about the primary system. The people who vote last don’t have the same choice that the people who vote first get.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Every primary should be on the same day.

I'm of mixed feelings on this. I understand your point, but the unintended side-effect may be to turn the primaries into a TV/Internet-only event. Having candidates go out an actually talk to people will be suppressed. Not as much reason to go out to the various states if you simply broadcast your campaign from a studio location.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm of mixed feelings on this. I understand your point, but the unintended side-effect may be to turn the primaries into a TV/Internet-only event. Having candidates go out an actually talk to people will be suppressed. Not as much reason to go out to the various states if you simply broadcast your campaign from a studio location.
    Why would they not go to states just because all the states vote on the same day? The way it is now, all the candidates go to Iowa and New Hampshire to spend weeks sometimes. By the time Indiana votes, if it’s not already been decided only the few candidates left in the race spend any time here, and it’s only a day or two at that. If it’s worth having a candidate visit us personally, at all, then it’s worth having all of them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually, if all the primaries would be held on the same day, then why not have anyone that qualifies to be on the general just be on the general in November? Why must it be narrowed down to one candidate per party on the November ballot? Why does the national committee get to pick whom we vote for? Skip the primaries and conventions altogether.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Actually, if all the primaries would be held on the same day, then why not have anyone that qualifies to be on the general just be on the general in November? Why must it be narrowed down to one candidate per party on the November ballot? Why does the national committee get to pick whom we vote for? Skip the primaries and conventions altogether.

The parties get to pick who they’re going to run in the general election. But in the system we have now, a couple of unimportant states get the most attention, and they get to choose from all the candidates in the running.

I’d rather have a system where parties put their candidates up in the general election, and choose by rank order voting. Skip primaries altogether. Still keep electoral college.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I’d rather have a system where parties put their candidates up in the general election, and choose by rank order voting. Skip primaries altogether. Still keep electoral college.

Wouldn't that all-but-guarantee that the party with more candidates running would lose the general election?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    So how did rolling over square with the assertion that we could have elected him? Is this some blame the voter scheme for not being interested in the candidate you want? Seems like failure to launch is on him

The original statement is true. Obviously Rand didn't do nearly well enough to actually get elected. Not sure why you are arguing the point.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

They could be, if they ran as Independent. The primaries are to see who get's the parties nod to run in the general. The parties are simply associations of voters, they assemble to pick who they are going to vote for.

The parties get to pick who they’re going to run in the general election. But in the system we have now, a couple of unimportant states get the most attention, and they get to choose from all the candidates in the running.

Pretty much. I see one problem with the rank order voting, could you imagine the screams if the President won less than 10% of the popular vote? Although it may be hilarious.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom