The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    On the "I though you were supposed to be draining the swamp, Mr. President" news:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...okesman-falsely-denied-expensive-table-bought

Maybe they have a really big lounge. So let's give them a pass. However, a $31K dining set??? Double U Tee Eff. Anyone missing the irony that the "Housing of Urban Development" is doing this? Hell, why aren't they using bean bag chairs and a card table. That what they do in the hood. lol

Shame on you, Ben Carson.
    I am infuriated when government officials think they deserve office decor appropriate for a palace. There is a disconnect that they are doing the same thing that we derided Saddam for doing. I don't know if they bring this attitude with them to an appointed position or if this infects them once they are among the elite. Why is government service considered a shopping spree?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd rather they spend it on dinnerware than building more ghettos

Since it's not their money, I'd rather they do neither. I certainly don't shine to paying for a $31K table. I would bet that the table going into an office is more than 30X what most of have at home. We were told that this administration is supposed to be draining the swamp, and when govt officials are buying luxury items that will be used sparingly, that's doesn't seem to coincide with that promise. Hell, I don't even know what a $30K table looks like, but I tell you what, pay me $10K, and I'll cut down a tree with butter knife and teach myself to make a table, just as good, using a hatchet, a nail file, and a hawk bill.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am infuriated when government officials think they deserve office decor appropriate for a palace. There is a disconnect that they are doing the same thing that we derided Saddam for doing. I don't know if they bring this attitude with them to an appointed position or if this infects them once they are among the elite. Why is government service considered a shopping spree?

They've been doing this well before now, but yeah it's infuriating.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Since it's not their money, I'd rather they do neither. I certainly don't shine to paying for a $31K table. I would bet that the table going into an office is more than 30X what most of have at home. We were told that this administration is supposed to be draining the swamp, and when govt officials are buying luxury items that will be used sparingly, that's doesn't seem to coincide with that promise. Hell, I don't even know what a $30K table looks like, but I tell you what, pay me $10K, and I'll cut down a tree with butter knife and teach myself to make a table, just as good, using a hatchet, a nail file, and a hawk bill.

So you're pro ghetto? :)
    We all know that the swamp will always be the swamp. Because the government is too big to understand let alone fix. The way government works that table could have been in the works for several years and cost more to STOP than just accept.
    Not saying that's fact, I'm just saying that's how stupid our government is.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, they buy expensive furniture because for some reason people have the idea that they are the "leaders" of the city/state/nation.

NO THEY ARE NOT.

They are people hired to do a job.
    That is all.

They are not supposed to be the boss.
    They are supposed to be a servant.

The President of the United States (whoever he is) is NOT the leader of the "free world". He is not even the leader of the US.
    He is just the leader of the executive party of the federal government.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm checking in on the status of Trump voters. The other day the president talked about confiscating guns WITHOUT due process. I'm going to guess that people are either too embarrassed to bring this up, or they agree with the president. Heavens knows that if the last guy has said this, INGO, and the rest collective conservative world would be screaming bloody murder. Why isn't this being talked about more?

Oh, and let's not forget Jared Kushner. This guy meets with two companies (Citigroup and Apollo) at the White House to "talk about infrastructure," and next thing you know, a few days later the companies he ran gets hundreds of millions in loans? Sorry Jared, I'm not that stupid. I know a scam when I see it. Who is going to try and convince me, that it's a coincidence that the companies that weren't giving loans to Kushner's businesses before he was in the WH, had a change of heart after he's in the WH and had a meeting with them? Conflict or interest? Ethics? What are those?

I'm not concerned though. It's not like I didn't expect this stuff.... but did you?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well. They need the table by next Tuesday, so...

Seriously though, I became aware of Ben Carson a long time before he embarrassed Obama at the prayer breakfast. I read his book, Think Big, and loosely followed his career since. He was admirable. A good man. Since running for President, his behavior has been disappointing. I’d like to se him rediscover the person he was before fame.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well. They need the table by next Tuesday, so...

Seriously though, I became aware of Ben Carson a long time before he embarrassed Obama at the prayer breakfast. I read his book, Think Big, and loosely followed his career since. He was admirable. A good man. Since running for President, his behavior has been disappointing. I’d like to se him rediscover the person he was before fame.

What do you mean "rediscover?" Ben Carson is 66 years old. Short a traumatic or significantly life-changing event, older men tend to be set in their ways. I see no reason to believe he has been anything other than what we have been presented... the only difference now, is that he's accountable and his actions in full view.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What do you mean "rediscover?" Ben Carson is 66 years old. Short a traumatic or significantly life-changing event, older men tend to be set in their ways. I see no reason to believe he has been anything other than what we have been presented... the only difference now, is that he's accountable and his actions in full view.

Maybe we have a different view of human nature. People have corruptable natures. Given the right conditions, circumstances, experience, any of us could do the deeds of Hitler, the scale of which is only limited by competence. You can try to hone your character but flaws can surface given the right opportunities. If you think reaching an age, being set in your good ways keeps you from corruption, you’re more prone to it than one who constantly fears being corrupted. Maybe that’s the flaw in Carson that circumstances, like his fame, exploited. A good strategy to avoid corruption is understaing that you’re corruptable and being afraid of it. I’m sure Carson doesn’t believe he’s corrupted. People like to believe they’re good.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm checking in on the status of Trump voters. The other day the president talked about confiscating guns WITHOUT due process. I'm going to guess that people are either too embarrassed to bring this up, or they agree with the president. Heavens knows that if the last guy has said this, INGO, and the rest collective conservative world would be screaming bloody murder. Why isn't this being talked about more?

Oh, and let's not forget Jared Kushner. This guy meets with two companies (Citigroup and Apollo) at the White House to "talk about infrastructure," and next thing you know, a few days later the companies he ran gets hundreds of millions in loans? Sorry Jared, I'm not that stupid. I know a scam when I see it. Who is going to try and convince me, that it's a coincidence that the companies that weren't giving loans to Kushner's businesses before he was in the WH, had a change of heart after he's in the WH and had a meeting with them? Conflict or interest? Ethics? What are those?

I'm not concerned though. It's not like I didn't expect this stuff.... but did you?

I didn't see where Trump said that. But to be honest I haven't been paying attention to him. He bores me. Now, if he did say that, I have two words... Bring it.

Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I didn't see where Trump said that. But to be honest I haven't been paying attention to him. He bores me. Now, if he did say that, I have two words... Bring it.

Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.
    He did
    Trump: 'Take the guns first, go through due process second' | TheHill
    “I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It's one thing to be a Washington outsider. But it's another to be completely ignorant or dismissive of the constitution. Any person who thinks due process is just in the way, and should be set aside, has no business being dog catcher, let alone president. I have the feeling that the attitude is very pervasive in Washington and the various state houses.

As to Carson, I'm not too ready to drop the hammer on him. He was given the reigns of one of the most corrupt organizations in government. And sometimes human nature falters. Interior decorating is several rings below his pay grade, as well. By the time he found out about it, possibly on the news, there might have been a contract already signed. If it is a custom order. Anyway, he has a lot more strikes before I turn on him.

I was never really for Trump, but I haven't been against him. He's done a couple of good things, but he's worn out the mileage on those. He needs to start cutting the Kushner types out, and bring his attitude toward the constitution in check. I'm about over him.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If the White House and State Department can serve diplomatic purposes by having nice stuff, then I'll be at least somewhat more willing to pay for that. The rest of the agencies can shop at Big Lots for their stuff.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If the White House and State Department can serve diplomatic purposes by having nice stuff, then I'll be at least somewhat more willing to pay for that. The rest of the agencies can shop at Big Lots for their stuff.
    Aagreed. Decore is part of statesmanship. Justify the need.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can't remember if it's been mentioned in this thread or not but we're aware that Indiana is already a step ahead of Trump on this matter, right?

The Laird Law allows this and according to Guy Relford: "And what a lot of people don't realize is that the statute even authorizes guns to be seized from a person who is not presently dangerous at all, but may become dangerous "in the future," which I have argued to be unconstitutionally vague and overly-broad."

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom