• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting that when wanting to see how the world defined religion this Wikipedia definition with a disclaimer popped up.

“The definition of religion is a controversial and complicated subject in religious studies with scholars failing to agree on any one definition.”

So is it so far out there for someone to define a vacuum from religion as a religion itself?
    Is there an atmosphere in space?

The argument, "atheism is a religion" was created with one purpose only - to get Christianity into schools. It carries no water.

Furthermore, atheism is not taught in schools. Simply excluding all religious indoctrination is not equivalent.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Is there an atmosphere in space?

The argument, "atheism is a religion" was created with one purpose only - to get Christianity into schools. It carries no water.

Furthermore, atheism is not taught in schools. Simply excluding all religious indoctrination is not equivalent.
    I posted up thread what the government is teaching in schools, it is a form of religion as it meets the federal definition of such…

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bottom line is; state and federal government have NO business in schools. That should be strictly a local function…
    You going to stick to that line when the Supreme Court declares teachers can be armed?

I have no love for the federal department of education, but I'm am in favour of the Constitution being equally applied; even in schools.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You going to stick to that line when the Supreme Court declares teachers can be armed?

I have no love for the federal department of education, but I'm am in favour of the Constitution being equally applied; even in schools.
    Do not need a SCOTUS decision to arm teachers, the local folks can decide that. The prohibition on arms in schools is from the entities I said should not be involved in children's education…

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I posted up thread what the government is teaching in schools, it is a form of religion as it meets the federal definition of such…
    A) I miss where you posted that, would you be so kind as to provide a link?

B) "federal definition" of religion? :scratch:

Do not need a SCOTUS decision to arm teachers, the local folks can decide that. The prohibition on arms in schools is from the entities I said should not be involved in children's education…
    Was Brown v. Board of Education bad law?

You're really going to say that schools can openly flaunt the constitution, so long as that decision to do so is from the superintendent and the locally elected school board?

So you're not in favor of any laws the general assembly makes concerning crt, transgender sports, drag queen story hour? Because all those things should be decided at the local level, right?

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A) I miss where you posted that, would you be so kind as to provide a link?

B) "federal definition" of religion? :scratch:

Was Brown v. Board of Education bad law?

You're really going to say that schools can openly flaunt the constitution, so long as that decision to do so is from the superintendent and the locally elected school board?

So you're not in favor of any laws the general assembly makes concerning crt, transgender sports, drag queen story hour? Because all those things should be decided at the local level, right?
    It was in this thread but I do not have time to find it…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    First. Can you point me to that federal definition? I must have missed it.

The courts haven't really defined it specifically enough to have a rigid definition, and this is probably a good thing as it would tend to allow the fullest scope of 1A protection for the spectrum of religious beliefs.

Re: atheism is a religion:

It's my current thinking that religion evolved to answer what is unknown. The primary two questions about the unknown that are universal: where'd we come from, and what happens to us when we die?

Science has helped us answer many unknowns that were relegated to religion. We don't sacrifice 16 year olds to appease the gods believed to make volcanoes erupt when they're pissed. We kinda think we know where we came from, or at least there is a working theory of natural causes in evolution. It does not explain what happens when we die, so there's a lot less proof of that. You could say that anyone who has a confident belief about the afterlife, one way or the other, has some faith.

So I think there's a grey area for atheists. On the one hand, there's no reason to assume that consciousness, or the essence of a person, or some conceptualization of an eternal soul exists outside of faith. A natural explanation for what happens when we die is, one simply ceases to exist. On the other hand, there isn't conclusive evidence for that. So I think an atheist can causually believe there's nothing after death without it being based on religion. But it's the confidence that I think would make it at least a little "religious".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes. There is no such thing as “federal money“ or “state money”, it is just the peoples money and it should be given to successful private schools…
    Yes. There is federal and state level money. Federal taxes are paid to the Federal government. State taxes are paid to the State government. Local taxes are paid to local communities.

Could local communities fund their own schools? Some could. Mississippi schools would die. They do not have the local tax base to fund their schools, especially in the Delta region. Their communities could not produce educated and competent citizens. That's just one example.

If we're going to have public schools, I don't see a consistent way to fund them exclusively with local funds.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    The 1st amendment protects religious exercise too. You are bending the definition to one that supports the constitutional protection you want rather than the one provided. The “establishment” prohibited by the constitution means the stake cannot make a defacto religion. The government privileging one over others IS effectively establishing a favored religion. So while I agree that prohibiting any religion from anything that smells like the state probably violates the free exercise clause, allowing 10 commandments and not religious materials from other religions violated the establishment clause.

Are you okay with Islam’s texts being displayed along side the 10 commandments? Or Wicca’s? If not, I think we’re finished here.
    Ever find astrology in schools? What about celebrating the earth? halloween? Who determines what definition we use for religion?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    No one has claimed the exclusion of religious education determines what atheism is. Everyone has faith; either in
    Jesus, man made religion or one’s self.

Atheism is a religion. One has faith in their own ability to determine if there is a god or not.

Deny it all you wish.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Atheism is a religion. One has faith in their own ability to determine if there is a god or not.
    It takes no faith to not believe in an invisible being in the sky. Period.

Atheism is the default setting at birth. You are taught what to believe.

Guess what you would most likely be if you were born in Saudi Arabia...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom