Since the other one has gone to crap...

Potential impacts from ongoing strike in US east coast ports:

Biden states he will not invoke Taft-Hartley:

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    The timing of this with the hurricane seems incredibly poor. Yes, I know it was planned in advance and the contract expiration and whatnot. But this is a big risk for everyone, including the union guys. If this drags out for any length of time to the point that it actually starts to impact any supplies needed to help with the relief effort (or lack of effort on part of Uncle Sam), it’s going to be disastrous, both for the survivors, but also from a PR perspective for the Longshoremen. Even if there is a perception of this, reality need not apply, people are going to turn on the Union HARD.

Sure, people will get pissed if prices start rising (yet even more), but at least half of people will place the blame on the port or whoever is on the other side of this. But when it starts to affect people who are already literally under water, especially after the “I will cripple you” comment, I think people will unite pretty hard against the longshoremen.

I’m not even really taking a side here. I’m not real educated on the arguments of each side so I reserve judgement. Just going off what I think people’s reaction will be given current circumstances.

Overall I think this is a net gain situation for Trump. That is, unless of course this was all planned to set the stage for Kamala to come in and play act the hero and “resolve this crisis”, but that’s just my inner conspiracy theorist talking.

I’m just glad we have such a strong and vibrant leader in the white house who can lead us through these trying times. :joke:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The timing of this with the hurricane seems incredibly poor. Yes, I know it was planned in advance and the contract expiration and whatnot. But this is a big risk for everyone, including the union guys. If this drags out for any length of time to the point that it actually starts to impact any supplies needed to help with the relief effort (or lack of effort on part of Uncle Sam), it’s going to be disastrous, both for the survivors, but also from a PR perspective for the Longshoremen. Even if there is a perception of this, reality need not apply, people are going to turn on the Union HARD.

Sure, people will get pissed if prices start rising (yet even more), but at least half of people will place the blame on the port or whoever is on the other side of this. But when it starts to affect people who are already literally under water, especially after the “I will cripple you” comment, I think people will unite pretty hard against the longshoremen.

I’m not even really taking a side here. I’m not real educated on the arguments of each side so I reserve judgement. Just going off what I think people’s reaction will be given current circumstances.

Overall I think this is a net gain situation for Trump. That is, unless of course this was all planned to set the stage for Kamala to come in and play act the hero and “resolve this crisis”, but that’s just my inner conspiracy theorist talking.

I’m just glad we have such a strong and vibrant leader in the white house who can lead us through these trying times. :joke:
    The difference from 50 years ago is we have the Internet now and can talk about how much money these chumps make and post pictures of the mansions they live in. The workingman schtick doesn't fly anymore, the poorest of these union workers is smoking the average American's income by at least 50%.

People are damn tired of inflation, lockdown, war, bare shelves, supply chain BS, and whiny protestors. I see the prevailing sentiment being "can we automate these losers already?".

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The difference from 50 years ago is we have the Internet now and can talk about how much money these chumps make and post pictures of the mansions they live in. The workingman schtick doesn't fly anymore, the poorest of these union workers is smoking the average American's income by at least 50%.

People are damn tired of inflation, lockdown, war, bare shelves, supply chain BS, and whiny protestors. I see the prevailing sentiment being "can we automate these losers already?".
    Why are they "Chumps" for earning a good income?
    Who's fault is it that so much of America has this 50% less income then the longshoremen?

What one earns as a living is a personal choice. The only person that holds someone back is staring them in the mirror each morning.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm still waiting for the news on what other businesses are effected by this strike? How soon will we start hearing of layoffs through year end?

:scratch:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Why are they "Chumps" for earning a good income?
    Who's fault is it that so much of America has this 50% less income then the longshoremen?

What one earns as a living is a personal choice. The only person that holds someone back is staring them in the mirror each morning.
    What makes them chumps is complaining that their already very above average incomes need to be jacked up another 80% or else they'll ruin everyone's Christmas.

They can make the personal choice to change employers if they aren't satisfied with their pay, instead of holding everyone else hostage.

What do we do when every floor sweeper and forklift driver at the port demands a salary of $5.5 million dollars and 85 paid vacation days a year? We can all agree there is a point where already extremely comfortable and prosperous people are simply being unreasonable and destructive. Reagan fired the air traffic controllers and, you know what? We still have ATC today. World didn't end and planes didn't fall out of the sky.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What makes them chumps is complaining that their already very above average incomes need to be jacked up another 80% or else they'll ruin everyone's Christmas.

They can make the personal choice to change employers if they aren't satisfied with their pay, instead of holding everyone else hostage.

What do we do when every floor sweeper and forklift driver at the port demands a salary of $5.5 million dollars and 85 paid vacation days a year? We can all agree there is a point where already extremely comfortable and prosperous people are simply being unreasonable and destructive. Reagan fired the air traffic controllers and, you know what? We still have ATC today. World didn't end and planes didn't fall out of the sky.
    What do you do for a living?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...People are damn tired of inflation, lockdown, war, bare shelves, supply chain BS, and whiny protestors. I see the prevailing sentiment being "can we automate these losers already?".

I fear the ILA didn't put much thought into this?

Looks like coming off of the UAW boondoggle, they were looking to bank on that union win before literally the wheels start falling off of it?

Taking advantage of the election was likely a part of the plan also. Little did they realize that Kamala's short lived popularity wouldn't last as the public caught up with her antics.

The automation part of the issue, combined with local production vs overseas imports is a rough sell to all but the unions who benefit from this stuff.

:scratch:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom