• Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    D
    Yeah man. Almost twice the pressure a PCP airgun is filled to, but across a much huger surface area, with glued / flanged / bolted composite construction and a glass observation dome, and people inside. Really, the "benign system failure" scenario that has them bobbing dizzily around atop the surface waves, but still alive, is possible but the least likely scenario. I have to imagine they had some kind of beacon going that didn't require humans to operate, so to me, the lack of signal rules out the fire/smoky cabin/Payne Stewart oxygen-loss, everybody dead on board an intact craft type scenario. The lack of comms at near max dive depth really makes it look like the thing just popped violently at depth and fragged all the systems.

From watching the video in post #54 , I am just incredulous they were taking paying human customers on something that had only been tested at depth one time. This is the kind of thing that can give you some small measure of relief at not being rich and adventurous.
    Disasters cause regulation. That is why some industries, oil, chemical, are more regulated than others, steel, agricultural. You can bet our beloved lawmakers will be salivating to be able to regulate more industries, more so if there was an American on board. Look for a barrage of underwater craft regulations to hit the market soon!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    D

Disasters cause regulation. That is why some industries, oil, chemical, are more regulated than others, steel, agricultural. You can bet our beloved lawmakers will be salivating to be able to regulate more industries, more so if there was an American on board. Look for a barrage of underwater craft regulations to hit the market soon!
    Seems like the company could just "offshore" its HQ, etc and still avoid this since it's not diving in American waters anyway?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It’s $175,000 to see the Titanic. It’s another $250,000 if you want to see the launch ship after that!

Stockton Rush, president of OceanGate Expeditions explained what to expect down there: “All the bones are gone. There are no bodies down there.

whoops.gif

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I knew Act would start a thread about that when I heard the news a few days ago.

There's a fellow Frenchman on board the sub.

Paul-Henri Nargeolet, former French Navy commander, diver, submersible pilot, member of the French Institute for Research and Exploitation of the Sea (IFREMER),[15][18] and director of underwater research for E/M Group and RMS Titanic, Inc.,[42] which owns salvage rights to the wreckage site.[43] Nargeolet has led several expeditions to the wreck, supervised the recovery of thousands of artifacts, and is "widely considered the leading authority on the wreck site" according to The Guardian.

He served 22 years in the French Navy as a mine clearance diver.
    He made over 35 dives to the Titanic wreck site, include the very first dive on the site in 1987.

He's the guy you would call first if a sub was stuck next to the Titanic wreck.

From what I heard the sub is sealed from the outside.
    Even is they manage to reach the surface they can't get fresh air from the outside.

France is sending an oceanic research vessel, L'Atalante, to the site.

pdg-dcom-ph696-dji_0014.jpg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Seems like the company could just "offshore" its HQ, etc and still avoid this since it's not diving in American waters anyway?
    Kind of like cliff diving in Jamaica. Or parasailing behind some boat in Mexico. The US typically protects people from their own stupidity with regulations but go on vacation to an exotic location and everything just seems like it's fun, not dangerous.

Copy of OP2160057.JPG

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I knew Act would start a thread about that when I heard the news a few days ago.

There's a fellow Frenchman on board the sub.

He served 22 years in the French Navy as a mine clearance diver.
    He made over 35 dives to the Titanic wreck site, include the very first dive on the site in 1987.

He's the guy you would call first if a sub was stuck next to the Titanic wreck.

From what I heard the sub is sealed from the outside.
    Even is they manage to reach the surface they can't get fresh air from the outside.

France is sending an oceanic research vessel, L'Atalante, to the site.

pdg-dcom-ph696-dji_0014.jpg
    That guy climbing into this sub is a remarkable vote of confidence in the system.

I'm drifting more towards "on the bottom" as the air search continues failing to turn up anything. The press conference today refused to elaborate on the noises, but apparently they were compelling enough to redirect assets and investigate. The French ROV will be the most important equipment so far for a bottom search.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That guy climbing into this sub is a remarkable vote of confidence in the system.

I'm drifting more towards "on the bottom" as the air search continues failing to turn up anything. The press conference today refused to elaborate on the noises, but apparently they were compelling enough to redirect assets and investigate. The French ROV will be the most important equipment so far for a bottom search.

That thing can reach depths of 6,000 meters, over 3 miles.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That thing can reach depths of 6,000 meters, over 3 miles.

If it's fully kitted for oceanographic work it'll have search sonar, manipulators, navigation, everything. And it can stay down indefinitely. Picking the spot to drop it is critical, but once on the bottom it can get right to scanning for active sonar contacts and investigating. Maybe it even has hydrophones.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If it's fully kitted for oceanographic work it'll have search sonar, manipulators, navigation, everything. And it can stay down indefinitely. Picking the spot to drop it is critical, but once on the bottom it can get right to scanning for active sonar contacts and investigating. Maybe it even has hydrophones.
    They do have a bunch of stuff ...

• Scientific doppler
    • Integrated navigation station
    • 2 DGPS receiver
    • 2 gyrocompass
    • Loch Doppler 240KHz & 2MHz - JLN-500 - JRC
    • 2 bridge echosounder
    • Automatic pilot
    • Dynamic positionnement
    • Meteofax receiver

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The French vessel is right above the wreck site at the moment apparently.

Coordinates 41°43′32″N 49°56′49″W The wreck of the Titanic lies at a depth of about 12,500 feet (3,800 meters; 2,100 fathoms), about 370 nautical miles (690 kilometers) south-southeast.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I hope they find them alive but the odds are against it. This goes from a rescue operation to recovery very soon. Say they do locate the crushed or otherwise compromised sub. Do they bring it up to investigate or just drop a wreath? Serious question. What does that kind of pressure do to the human body?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I hope they find them alive but the odds are against it. This goes from a rescue operation to recovery very soon. Say they do locate the crushed or otherwise compromised sub. Do they bring it up to investigate or just drop a wreath? Serious question. What does that kind of pressure do to the human body?
    When the project moves from rescue to recovery is there a purpose?

Can they learn for the future from the retrieved sub that failed or is the sub so destroyed and no different than picking up aluminum cans for recycling?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Experience isn't necessary, because this is all new.
    Its more like aircraft experience, and less like ship experience.

Two statements made, that like many I've seen/heard, are just an idiot's claim, with no backing.

I can state that I can jump to the moon.
    Doesn't make it true.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom