So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve been running the heck out of my 550 lately. I’ve done several batches of .38 Special, .40 and .45 this month with smaller batches of 300BO, .223 and .357 Mag. I have it set up for .357 right now. Just did a test batch and once I run a couple, I’ll know if it’s where it need be. If so, I’ll run a larger batch of .357.

I’ve also been running some 6.5 Swede on the single stage. I really hate 6.5 Swede at times. The flash hole on the PPU (I think it’s PPU) is small enough that it breaks the decapping pin. Once I get the primer out, I can open the hole up to standard size but I don’t know if I’m looking at processed or once fired without spending a bunch of time with a feeler punch to see if the hole has been opened up. Fortunately, I don’t shoot much 6.5 Swede, so it’s not a huge deal.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I’ve also been running some 6.5 Swede on the single stage. I really hate 6.5 Swede at times. The flash hole on the PPU (I think it’s PPU) is small enough that it breaks the decapping pin. Once I get the primer out, I can open the hole up to standard size but I don’t know if I’m looking at processed or once fired without spending a bunch of time with a feeler punch to see if the hole has been opened up. Fortunately, I don’t shoot much 6.5 Swede, so it’s not a huge deal.

I just had that same problem a couple of weeks ago with 6.5x55 Swedish Igman brass. It's marketed under the HotShot brand by Century Arms. Fortunately I only had two boxes of that crap and Lee replaced my broken decapping rod under their no BS lifetime warranty - I only had to mail in the broken part with a note describing the issue. Before realizing what my problem was though, I also broke the rod in my Lyman Universal Decapping die - Lyman warrantied the part for me. Great service by both Lee and Lyman :yesway:

After stopping to examine the situation more closely, I found that the flash holes were so undersized that they were bulged out in the center! I had to use an end mill with a depth stop to ream out the "mound" around the flash hole. Never buying HotShot/Igman again!

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Managed to get back on the 550 this evening and cranked out enough rounds to do a ladder test with my 6.5Grendel. Running CFE223 under a 123gr ELD-M. I'm supposed to get my chronograph tomorrow, but the weather doesn't look great this weekend. Anyway, hoping to finally narrow down my first rifle load.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I set up my RCBS pocket swager. I just got into 5.56 and 300 AAC about 3 months ago. I haven't started stocking up on these yet. I was using the pocket reamer on my Frankford Arsenal prep center. After hearing of several people using the swager, I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I decided to before loading a bunch. Even after reaming, which takes more time, I was still having occasional issues seating primers. Definitely worth the $40.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Now that I have some consistent .223 brass, I can start load development for my sorta-precise AR. (wolf gold brand new brass--already primed-- for < 13 cents each!). Sure as heck beats processing brass.

I think I'm going to run the 73gr ELDs because 77 SMKs are much more expensive. RL15 for now, maybe some 8208xbr in the future.

There's a midrange tactical match at Atterbury in March that will afford me my first chance to take my rifle to 600y, so I want to have some loads worked up by then.

Load development is complete. In my DDM4V11, I was getting about half MOA from 22.1gr of 8208 pushing the 73ELD-M in wolf gold brass. It's a pretty mild load (~2600fps) but functions perfectly and is way more accurate than I ever expected to get my AR.

So I loaded up 200 copies of that honey of a load for the Midrange AR Tactical match next weekend. Look for me, I'll be the new guy having no idea what he's doing. I'll be shooting the 300/500/600 COF.

t2MdSYR.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It was 50y, so not as impressive as it seems. It held together at 100y pretty well when I was OAL testing:

fSbut0N.jpg

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Ummmm... yeah. I'd say it did pretty well! Congratulations, that is some nice shooting from a nice rig. I added a DD bolt carrier group to one of AR's, and noticed an immediate improvement. They make good stuff.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Been spending time going through three thousand military range brass pieces I bought last year.

Well tumbled, resized, crimps removed, trimmed. Tumbled again. Sorted. I have enough bullets set by, but need to buy powder and primers. Have not finalized this, yet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I finished up a couple of different batches of .357 and have moved back to starting a batch of a mid to light level of .40 for target shooting in a couple non-carry guns.

I’ve found that I have been more productive in reloading this year than in many years past. One of the things I’ve started doing is listening to audio books while reloading. It’s becoming one of my favorite activities to do to relax after work.

Keeping supplies on hand is a chore though
    6ffa396888e6f8007b510f4144f77c43.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Started working on depriming all my dirty 38spl brass and did my first batch in the rotary tumbler and dehydrator. Brass came out fairly shiny and clean inside and out. Took 4 hrs to process roughly 400 casings about the same as my vibrators tumblers but looks 10x better.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Just polished a batch of 44 mag and 45acp. This weekend will be de priming then next will be figuring out how to use this brass resizer dealy.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Spent most of today prepping 556 brass. Also loaded a few more 300AAC to test out. I plan on swaging the 556 and load it up. Then 300 AAC before cleaning 45 and 44. A lot to do before the weather gets nice!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    A guy a work gave me a coffee can full of 223. Cleaned it yesterday was going to de-prime/ size it so I could try out the new triway trimmer.
    1st one I grabed was a berdan. Need to sort it

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    still waiting on my bullet order to arrive...

been cleaning up in my room, sorting brass, and re organizing stuff.

still need to get the gun tuned to the new load...

:cheers:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve got a load of .38/.357 in the vibrating tumbler right now along with a load of 5.56 that’s been decapped, sized and trimmed waiting for wet tumbling. The 5.56 will go into the clean bucket when done and the .38/.357 will be loaded and then binned for range use. After that, I might run another batch of .40 as I seem to be going through a lot of that lately.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I just finished swaging a 5 gallon bucket of 223 brass using the Dillon super swage. I’m estimating that’s 3500 rounds from the weight.

Next time I’ll be doing this on the press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom