• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Can anyone come up with an example of a tax levied for NOT doing something?
    Did we ever get an answer for this?

You're right, they can't. And they still can't...though they can tax you for NOT buying it. Which is totally different.
    Did you forget purple or something?

If Romney gets elected, he'll only be able to seat limp wristed moderates like Roberts because the dems will filibuster any nominees who actually believe in the constitution. But when dems nominate liberal activists, the repubs couldn't find their spine with a gps.
    WTF do you think they'd do to Paul or Johnson nominees?

The moment the government mandates that I purchase a Bible or abide by any specific religion is the day I move to Canada. But I'll gladly purchase a firearm :D
    Just religion? Glad to know you draw a line on the side of freedom. :rolleyes:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    OMG! The state makes me buy car insurance!

Only if you drive. You're not required to buy car insurance based on the sole fact that you reside in the state. Apples and Oranges.

I don't ride a motorcyle, but I'm not taxed as a result of not carrying motorcycle insurance.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Because they have the financial resources to do so. And again, I wouldn't exactly consider it a penalty. And I wouldn't have a problem with everyone regardless of income paying say 20% (hypothetically) on income tax, I could live with that. But I believe that once you start talking about millionaires and billionaires, that they should be taxed at a higher rate than people in the middle class.

I am having trouble reconciling:

I wouldn't have a problem with everyone regardless of income paying say 20%

..with:
    But I believe that once you start talking about millionaires and billionaires, that they should be taxed at a higher rate than people in the middle class.

Also, I still haven't seen you answer WHY they should pay more first of all..
    Second of all, we are still talking about INCOME tax here. An employee, working for a company, getting paid for their services. Some millionaires fall into this category, but most multi-millionaires and billionaires usually do not..

Also keep in mind.. You're dad is probably being taxed at 35%, as Obama defines "the rich" as anyone making over $250,000..

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Only if you drive. You're not required to buy car insurance based on the sole fact that you reside in the state. Apples and Oranges.

I don't ride a motorcyle and I'm not taxed as a result of not carrying motorcycle insurance.

Which is why I don't understand why the frickin' Supreme Court upheld the individual mandate, which requires you to pay an extra tax for not buying health insurance.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think most people on this board are over-reacting. Ron Paul and Romney are okay with a health care mandate so long as the state passes it. What's the difference?

Uhm, one is the STATE making it's OWN choice, and the other is the Fed forcing its choice on the State? :dunno:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Which is why I don't understand why the frickin' Supreme Court upheld the individual mandate, which requires you to pay an extra tax for not buying health insurance.

They didn't uphold the individual mandate. They upheld the right of the gov't to tax you for not doing something. As result of this decision, you're not required to buy health insurance.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I am having trouble reconciling:

..with:

Also, I still haven't seen you answer WHY they should pay more first of all..
    Second of all, we are still talking about INCOME tax here. An employee, working for a company, getting paid for their services. Some millionaires fall into this category, but most multi-millionaires and billionaires usually do not..

Also keep in mind.. You're dad is probably being taxed at 35%, as Obama defines "the rich" as anyone making over $250,000..

You know, I've never asked my Dad about what rate he's taxed at our what his income level is. I've always considered it his personal business, and as far as work goes I generally do grunt work and he handles the actual "business" side of things so I don't know how much Adkins Auto Parts & Reycling actually makes.

Also, I've moved passed the "tax the rich" discussion. At this point I'm throwing in the towel and admitting defeat as far as that line of discussion goes. I really had no place talking about taxing the rich when I didn't know much about it, and when several people here clearly knew what they were talking about.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    They didn't uphold the individual mandate. They upheld the right of the gov't to tax you for not doing something. As result of this decision, you're not required to buy health insurance.
    But they can levy a tax on you if you don't.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN

Ah, thank you for clarifying this for me Hooky. I thought they did uphold it. But I was certain that at the very least parts of it would be ruled unconstitutional.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think most people on this board are over-reacting. Ron Paul and Romney are okay with a health care mandate so long as the state passes it. What's the difference?

Yes, it is a law to but car insurance and you can not plate a car with out proof of same. The last 3 accidents my vehicles have been involved in the other party (cause of all 3) was not insured and 1 was not licensed as well. My insurance went stupid for a long time due to un-insured motorist coverage. No one was cited in any of the incidents. No thread jack intended, just saying, laws are broken daily with no accountability.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Yes, it is a law to but car insurance and you can not plate a car with out proof of same. The last 3 accidents my vehicles have been involved in the other party (cause of all 3) was not insured and 1 was not licensed as well. My insurance went stupid for a long time due to un-insured motorist coverage. No one was cited in any of the incidents. No thread jack intended, just saying, laws are broken daily with no accountability.

What's the rationale behind requiring drivers to purchase health insurance?

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Did we ever get an answer for this?

Did you forget purple or something?

WTF do you think they'd do to Paul or Johnson nominees?

Just religion? Glad to know you draw a line on the side of freedom. :rolleyes:

No way in hell am I living in a country that tells me which church to go to or what god to believe in.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Or "too" and "to".

I think the most telling quote was the disdain for research and the longing to see it end forever.

If you don't research for yourself, you become nothing more than a bucket catching the :poop: spewed by the MSM.

Which reminds me of this...

http://youtu.be/1V_0k7DZt-o

Obama already knows..."It's good to be the king."

I don't want research to end, I love watching the History or Discovery channe or reading a good book and learning new things. Every semester I take at least one class that has nothing whatsoever to do with my major just because the subject interests me, for example a class on the 16th Century Reformation.I don't want an end to research, I just want the research and term papers I have to write every semester to end. I love going to school but I also can't wait to graduate. My biggest problem with spelling and grammar has always been the difference between "has" and "as." My mom used to yell at me all the time over that back in the day :)

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    A quick note on the car insurance argument. In Indiana, you do NOT have to have car insurance provided that you can prove financial responsibility.

I'm off to bed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What's the rationale behind requiring drivers to purchase health insurance?
    Assuming you meant car insurance.

Probably very similar to ACA. The difference is, the public owns the roads so the public (the state) gets a say in how they're used. That's why driving is a privilege and not a right. Rights get turned into privileges when the public owns a piece of it.

With public funded health care, in a sense the public owns your health. When you provide for your own health care, what you do concerning your health is non of my business. But if I pay for your health care, your health becomes my business because I have a stake in it.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    A quick note on the car insurance argument. In Indiana, you do NOT have to have car insurance provided that you can prove financial responsibility.

I'm off to bed.

IIRC that proof consists of having $40,000 deposited in an account managed by the AG...it's in the IC.

PKendall317 can research it ;)

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Assuming you meant car insurance.

Probably very similar to ACA. The difference is, the public owns the roads so the public (the state) gets a say in how they're used. That's why driving is a privilege and not a right. Rights get turned into privileges when the public owns a piece of it.

With public funded health care, in a sense the public owns your health. When you provide for your own health care, what you do concerning your health is non of my business. But if I pay for your health care, your health becomes my business because I have a stake in it.

Ok that makes sense, and thank you for pointing out one of my many spelling errors. As some of you might have noticed, grammar is not my strong suite.

Top Bottom