• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I find all the big box stores like that. I've got some real deals from Cabela's in multiple states on a variety of guns. But then there are some that are crazy overpriced. When I lived in Michigan, I used to frequent the Dundee Cabela's, they would often have a used Glock in the case in the gun library, for more than a new one in the new gun section.

I have found whitey a few decent deals at cabelas. Rare but they're the. My favorite was a surplus hi power for$350 iirc. This was since the hi power mark up recently.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good afternoon, everyone. I just picked up a 5906, my 1st. It's an all steel stainless version, and I was hoping to learn a little more about it. I havn't read every page in this thread, so I hope you'll be gentle with me if it's been answered before. Am I stuck with the long, mushy, DA trigger, or are there adjustments or aftermarket products that will help? Also, when it's at full cock and I put the safety on, and the hammer falls, that's just a decocker, right? It's not going to fire when the hammer falls when I put the safety on? Please forgive my newbieness. I'm not as familiar with pistols as I am with rifles. Also a lot of takeup on the SA pull; at least a quarter iinch, probably more. Thanks,
    Steve

Hi, Steve!
    You are certainly on the right thread.
    There are some guys here who have quite a few of the old wonderful S/W.
    I asked the same about the trigger, and my understanding is that you can throw some money at it, but it is what it is.
    I have had one for just a month or more and just love mine, as well.
    I read about them for months and months and finally took the plunge myself.
    I got some Hogue monogrips, which I love: makes for an even bigger grip than stock, but some want slimmer and get some wood grips.
    I just got a Mec-Gar 17 round magazine today in the mail for it since I didn't buy an extra mag when I ordered the gun ($17).
    People like to see pics even though they have seen 100s already: scratches, smudges and scraps all acceptable.
    By the way, did you get adjustable rear sights with yours?
    I didn't, and wish I had them.

After Hogue grips:
    gKt0JuH.jpg

Stock grips:
    e5HWjLd.jpg
    is5UKGY.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Good afternoon, everyone. I just picked up a 5906, my 1st. It's an all steel stainless version, and I was hoping to learn a little more about it. I havn't read every page in this thread, so I hope you'll be gentle with me if it's been answered before. Am I stuck with the long, mushy, DA trigger, or are there adjustments or aftermarket products that will help? Also, when it's at full cock and I put the safety on, and the hammer falls, that's just a decocker, right? It's not going to fire when the hammer falls when I put the safety on? Please forgive my newbieness. I'm not as familiar with pistols as I am with rifles. Also a lot of takeup on the SA pull; at least a quarter iinch, probably more. Thanks,
    Steve

It's a safety decocker which means when you put it on safe the safety rotates blocking the firing pin and allowing the hammer to drop without firing. It also means your first shot will be double action unless you manually cock the hammer after taking the safety off.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    People like to see pics even though they have seen 100s already: scratches, smudges and scraps all acceptable.

Every gun is special it has/will create its own history. Just like a baby. You seen once you seen them all but you still ask a new parent.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Every gun is special it has/will create its own history. Just like a baby. You seen once you seen them all but you still ask a new parent.

That's why I always love the story behind a gun.
    Sometimes it's just "store-bought," but sometimes there is a history, a lineage.
    It's one of the reasons I love reading the CZ thread and seeing how a gun gets passed from one person to another, with everyone enjoying it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    That's why I always love the story behind a gun.
    Sometimes it's just "store-bought," but sometimes there is a history, a lineage.
    It's one of the reasons I love reading the CZ thread and seeing how a gun gets passed from one person to another, with everyone enjoying it.

Yea, I love it. I love handling an old gun especially wartime surplus, and imagining whe is been.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Hi, Steve!
    By the way, did you get adjustable rear sights with yours?
    I didn't, and wish I had them.

Mine has the fixed sights, although they are different than yours. My rear sight is very small, and does not extend back towards the hammer; they're just the width (or depth) of the dovetail. Thanks for the trigger info; I got on a S&W site, and read the same as what you said; you can change out springs, but that potentially raises other tuning concerns. I was hoping there was some kind of aftermarket improvements besides springs, but havn't found any yet.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Mine has the fixed sights, although they are different than yours. My rear sight is very small, and does not extend back towards the hammer; they're just the width (or depth) of the dovetail. Thanks for the trigger info; I got on a S&W site, and read the same as what you said; you can change out springs, but that potentially raises other tuning concerns. I was hoping there was some kind of aftermarket improvements besides springs, but havn't found any yet.

For the past 2 yrs., I have cycled through a bunch of guns trying to find my favorites.
    I don't have any of the same guns I had a year ago, and maybe 6 months ago, but I now hope to have some of the same guns a year from now.
    I've made up my mind that this 5906 is going to be a survivor so I wouldn't mind investing in a better trigger.
    I only have 3 guns with an upgraded trigger, one that I paid to have upgraded by the resident CZ expert, the Wizard, and 2 others that were bought already upgraded.
    When I tried out the fit of the new 17 round mag I just got today, I did some dry firing, and it certainly does need some travel taken out of that S/A.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Third gens were designed with duty use in mind and the trigger geometry reflects that. You can do some polishing and improve the trigger but IMHO its a lot of effort for nominal improvement. Though the triggers are long and heavy, they are generally smooth and its just a matter of learning the trigger. I find SA quite acceptable. DA, yea well, I need to practice more...

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The one thing my Smiths have that my czs dont is a short reset.

That's one thing I was thinking about when I mentioned the long SA pull, that you don't necessarily let the trigger travel fully forward between each shot, so the long SA trigger might not come into play. It's probably silly of me to even be talking about it yet, until I get a chance to shoot it, and I'm very much looking forward to that!

:shoot:

Last edited:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Steve

Keep a eye out on your extractor the stainless are known for chipping and failure, i know i have replaced 2 in 2 separate 5906's recently, the blued ones seem to hold up and they are the only ones available unless you send it to s&w. Did a lot of research and discussed it with a retired armorer that is where i got my confirmation it was a known issue with the 5906 models!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That's one thing I was thinking about when I mentioned the long SA pull, that you don't necessarily let the trigger travel fully forward between each shot, so the long SA trigger might not come into play. It's probably silly of me to even be talking about it yet, until I get a chance to shoot it, and I'm very much looking forward to that!

:shoot:

The 4506-1 I polished the interals on ran really well on steel once I was able to build up some speed. I was able to go 6 for 6 a few times in less than 10 seconds. Not great I know but was my first time shooting steel.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The 4506-1 I polished the interals on ran really well on steel once I was able to build up some speed. I was able to go 6 for 6 a few times in less than 10 seconds. Not great I know but was my first time shooting steel.

You had a couple good string, much faster than that. You smoked me a few times where it wasn't even close on the dueling tree..

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Just won a 5906 complete slide and lower parts for 184 and some change. Now I can claim I have a 5906 again. Otherwise still working on my ssv clone. It's been a year in the making. Figured the 5906 cost $350 so didnt over bid on the parts kit. I'm sure the wife will be mad but oh well.

Top Bottom