• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We are just starting to see a bit of the "commercial real estate junk bond" which is similar to the 2007-2009 "residential real estate junk bond".

Below example:
    A bank has loaned say 200 million to fund an outdoor mall. The mall is built but since the planning and development stage and then the build out and completion phase the market has shifted to more on-line stores and smaller versions of larger stores with more limited inventory.

Now the mall owner has upkeep, taxes and payments on the 200 million. He is renting space but not at the amount which makes profit which is what business is about. He is thinking about selling but since the numbers do not meet what a buyer is looking for (profit) they are only willing to buy the 200 million dollar mall for 100 million. (The amount which the property would currently pull a profit) The bank is facing 100 million lose on the property off the books. The bank cannot get out of the property what it has invested in it.

What seems to be happening is the bank then loans another 50 million to the property owner on the value of the mall. So the property now has a bank loan value of 250 million when in fact todays value of the property is 100 million. The property owner has money to pay the loan and a amount of time to make it profitable.(zombie property like zombie company) The bank keeps the property out of foreclosure and instead of a 150 million dollar lose the property is on the books as a 250 million dollar asset.

If this happens once per bank then that is business and we go on. If that bank was highly invested in many of these deals then when the card's finally fall )the 50 million runs out) then there is a huge book loss and since many banks money is leveraged like 10-15 times the book amount the bank cannot meet it's obligation and goes up for sale to the next bigger bank upstream who can weather the market a bit longer.

I am sure I did not write this well as I am not a banker and the terms I use are prolly more suited to a working man's knowledge. But you get the idea.
    The bank loan money to save asserts from becoming liquidated losses which hurts the books and gets the feds involved.

Enough let's just say I do not think that all banks are solvent at the moment. Many are just as zombie as the zombie companies and zombie properties.

I don't think the OP was wrong just might have Been zombies on the time frames.
    Gradually, and then suddenly

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    A survey by the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology, in cooperation with the US Agency for International Development "Support of Leader Organizations in Combating Corruption in Ukraine," found that: "Second only to the war, corruption is perceived as the most serious problem in Ukraine by 89% of citizens.

"Despite a notable "improvement" in the public perception of corruption prevalence, 94% of respondents still consider corruption to be pervasive across Ukraine."

Interfax reported that in the survey — which it said the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology carried out for the Ilko Kucheriv Democratic Initiatives Foundation think tank — 77.6% of surveyed Ukrainians said they believed that the president was "directly responsible" for the corruption.

So...send them a few more billion...or another 116 billion(already sent,does not count what is in front of congress currently)? We did after all pay for the survey through the Agency for international development.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Ukraine could conceivably become a NATO member in exchange for ceding parts of its sovereign territory to Russia, NATO Chief-of-Staff Stian Jenssen said on Aug. 15, as reported by Norwegian outlet Verdens Gang.

...and now Russia appears to be using time travel to win the war.
    The Aug. 15 Russian missile strike on Ukraine was made with missiles produced in 2024, each containing around 30 foreign-made microchips, head of the President’s Office, Andriy Yermak, said in a Telegram post.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Rep. Andy Harris (R-MD), a co-chair of the congressional Ukraine Caucus, said this week that he’s not sure if the Ukraine war is "winnable" and called for the US to pressure Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to pursue peace talks.

"Is this more a stalemate? Should we be realistic about it? I think we probably should," Harris said at a town hall on Tuesday night, according to POLITICO. Discussing the Ukrainian counteroffensive, Harris said, "I’ll be blunt, it’s failed."

"I’m not sure it’s winnable anymore,"
    Harris added. His comments are a sign that the new $24 billion in spending on the Ukraine war that the White House has asked Congress to approve won’t receive as much support as previous packages.

When asked if he would support another tranche of spending on the war, Harris said:

"If there is humanitarian monies, nonmilitary monies, or military monies without an inspector general, I’m not supporting it."
    President Biden’s request includes economic and humanitarian assistance and no additional oversight for military aid.

"I think the time has come to realistically call for peace talks. I know President Zelensky doesn’t want it," Harris said. "But President Zelensky, without our help, he would abjectly lose the war. And with our help, he’s not winning. It’s a stalemate now."

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I saw that entire interview between Tucker and the Col. like it or not the Rich men North of Richmond want their money and if it takes WWIII and sending American troops to the grinder so be it. We have become a beast that can’t be fed enough.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom