KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw this earlier (exerpts and link below.) I'm not a fan of Cluster Bomb Units (CBUs,) and definitely not a fan of shoving these into the bottomless unaccountable pit.

Coincidentally Little Red Lying Hood is on the TV (2022 clip) calling the use of CBUs a war crime. The US didn't join the 120 countries banning their use. That's probably the 120 countries that don't have an Air Force.

I can see the usefulness of these weapons. I also know they are nasty and indiscriminate. In OIF we figured out how to disable the bad guy's runways, send in RED HORSE (Rapid Engineer Deployable Heavy Operations Squadron Engineer) to fix the runways, then use the base. GBU-38 (500 pound JDAM) in the middle of the runway, then drop CBUs. Some explode on impact, some explode when you step on them, some explode in 20 minutes if you step on them or not. In the dictionary under "nasty and indiscriminate" you'll find a picture of a CBU.

(WTAF are "Pentagon Stocks"? Pentagon is an office building. DoD has weapons, just sayin... Weapons sent to the bottomless pit must be replaced, CHA-CHING for the defense contractors.)

The weapons will come from Pentagon stocks and will also include Bradley and Stryker armored vehicles plus an array of ammunition, such as rounds for howitzers and the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, known as HIMARS, the officials said. A formal announcement is expected Friday afternoon.

(My actual words when I read this were, "WELL, DUH!!")
    While using cluster bombs is not a violation of international law, using them against civilians is.

(Only an idiot politician would see adding unexploded ordnance to a mine field as no big deal.)
    Oleksandra Ustinova, a member of Ukraine’s parliament who has been advocating that Washington send more weapons, noted that Ukrainian forces have had to disable mines from much of the territory they are winning back from Russia. As part of that process, Ukrainians will also be able to catch any unexploded ordnance from cluster munitions.

"We will have to de-mine anyway, but it’s better to have this capability," Ustinova said.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well, the media doesn't actually live in the world and do work.
    So, they are NEVER understanding what they are talking about.
    To them, it's all a foreign language.
    My boss in Qatar talked about "The Pentagon said..." A "Muppet Pentagon" speaking from a podium seemed like what it should've been.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    After reading this, my concerns about sending CBUs to the 'kraine are justified.

Bolton hails Biden decision to send cluster bombs to Ukraine as ‘an excellent idea’​

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Russia is now is marching 1,000,000 troops toward Poland.
    View attachment 285785
    :popcorn: :cool:;):dunno::lol2:

Do you have ANYTHING credible to support your statement or are ou just throwing crap up?

Not sure, but I doubt Russia has a million troops, let alone a "spare" million to move towards Poland when the bulk or their military is bogged down in their illegal and immoral escapade in Ukraine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    WTF anyway. So they failed to conquer Ukraine, and the next step is to threaten a NATO country? Color me skeptical.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think it's time for Ukraine to deploy the "funniest joke in the world" weapon that helped defeat the Nazis in WW2.

Reactions: oze

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You'd think that the "2nd most powerful military in the world Ukraine :): would have a bit more control on the Black Sea.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    (WTAF are "Pentagon Stocks"? Pentagon is an office building. DoD has weapons, just sayin... Weapons sent to the bottomless pit must be replaced, CHA-CHING for the defense contractors.)
    I find myself wondering about this. When it is announced that another$10 billion in weapons is going to Ukraine, is that $10 billion using the price when the weapons were added to inventory? It seems to me using, say, the 2004 price of a missile would understate the real value of what we were providing Ukraine as well as mask the perhaps $40 billion that will be spent to replenish the stock

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They use whatever numbers they want.
    For instance, let's say we have a janitor sent on a mission to clean a bathroom.
    Not the cost for determining the costs overall, to see who is cheapest, but they just tell a guy, go clean that ONE room.
    And they say it costs X amount of $$$

They will count his wages, even though he was paid already.
    They will count the cost of the bucket and mop, even though they were already bought.
    They will add the costs of the insurance, even though that is paid.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah I do t think they even have that many troops.
    According to Statista Russia's total active duty personnel are around 831,000, with an additional 250,000 reserves and 250,000 in paramilitary units

That's 1.33 million total with god knows how many KIA, wounded or bogged down in Ukraine. I don't think they're sending 1 million anything to the polish border anytime soon

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    According to Statista Russia's total active duty personnel are around 831,000, with an additional 250,000 reserves and 250,000 in paramilitary units

That's 1.33 million total with god knows how many KIA, wounded or bogged down in Ukraine. I don't think they're sending 1 million anything to the polish border anytime soon
    I didn’t check the numbers but I figured that was probably pretty close. Maybe they’ve pulled all the troops from uk to send to Poland and we are just seeing automated defenses left.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I would like to see Russia push all the way to Poland. The quicker this ends the better. I feel for the soldiers on both sides at the front.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The NATO/Ukraine counter offensive is reminiscent of Operation Citadel/Battle of the Kursk salient in 1943 where the Germans waited months on their new tanks and gave the Russians time to prepare a defense in depth to blunt the attack.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom