Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Dzhao Vladimir(the "Putin Advisor").

What I find most curious about the whole he "He left and resigned" thing is he left well before the war. He has homes in Denmark and Istanbul where he has spent most of his time in recent years.

Now the even more curious thing is the Moscow Times site quoting "Unnamed sources" in the Bloomberg article as the source of the story. Why is that curious? Dzhao Vladimir owns 51% of the Moscow Times. Yes,he owns some publishing companies and food service companies,but the source they are using in their article clearly quotes the Bloomberg article.

He has pushed for Russia to abandon fossil fuels for years. It has made him unwelcome to be sure(he is more for green energy than most of the rainbow squad). Did he resign as the eco warrior of Russia...yes it appears so. When it actually happened is actually another matter as the only information publicly available(though the man own multiple news sources)is a Bloomberg article claiming "unnamed sources". He was certainly already not living in Russia when the invasion occurred.

To call him a "close adviser to Putin" is bs though. Putin does not even believe in man made global warming or man made climate change for that matter. Amazing to me how all of that has been spun into "high ranking Russian advisor quits because of Ukraine"
    Why would Putin, who is so large and in charge, even have anyone resembling these beliefs close to him as an advisor?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Those policies also resulted in every tin-pot dictatorship trying to get nuclear weapons at any cost.

It's nothing short of a miracle that a terrorist hasn't obtained and used a nuke in a major city.

Maybe we have just been lucky, but building a reliable nuc isn't easy. It would be pretty embarrassing if you fired one off at somebody and it didn't work, really embarrassing if the people you shot yours off at had them as well.;)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Why would Putin, who is so large and in charge, even have anyone resembling these beliefs close to him as an advisor?
    He didn't. That is the whole point. The only government job he has was sitting as the head of the board of directors of a Russian(state run) electric company. His Climate "envoy" of Russia job was not a job. It was what he was called by the bankers at JP Morgan(who he also advised for years) at an international event on "climate change". It was not a position in government,nor did it ever put him close to Putin.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Pretty sure those dictatorships would have been trying to get MADs anyway.

Naw, like North Korea, they see it solely as an insurance policy against regime change.

They use nukes as bargaining chips to get special favors. Iran as well, I mean hell, Iran is basically using their nuclear program to get a welfare program out of the west.

I think the threat posed by a nation state using a nuclear ICBM is a bit excessive, and the threat of a nationless actor getting ahold of a nuke for terroristic ends is under stated.

Another reason why I think regime change campaigns are reckless and dangerous, especially if there's ANY concerns that regime might have a nuclear weapon somewhere. Because it WILL end up in a nationless actor's hands, and the consequences for them using it is far less than a nation would have to endure.

If nukes weren't an effective bargaining chip, nobody would want them. Well, except for terrorists.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It still remains baffling just how mentally stunted someone must have to be to legitimately think Assad used chemical weapons.... When the US was desperately looking for a way into the war, when he was inches away from complete victory.

People will believe anything that CNN tells them.

I've even seen news reports trying to pre-empt false flag comments. Saying nonsense like "When Russia uses chemical weapons, conspiracy theorists will try to tell you it's a false flag, here's why it's not"

The biggest problem is that, unless I'm just dumb and missing something, chemical weapons just...don't have that much useful application.

You can use them for area denial. You can slaughter troops in the open (though, frankly, not as efficiently as with something like thermobaric artillery). They have some application for clearing tunnel systems or forcing defenders out of static defenses. They're demoralizing.

But what does that accomplish? Putin's military goal is the installation of a Belarus-style compliant puppet regime. Do you get that by gassing people? Ukraine is an agriculture powerhouse sitting on abundant natural resources. Do you poison that asset with nerve gas residue or radioactive fallout? I mean, hell, I covet my neighbor's house as much as the next guy, but if I burn it down trying to take it from him, what does that get me?

It's just mind boggling that anyone thinks chemical weapons will be used at this stage. What possible benefit would that be?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The biggest problem is that, unless I'm just dumb and missing something, chemical weapons just...don't have that much useful application.

You can use them for area denial. You can slaughter troops in the open (though, frankly, not as efficiently as with something like thermobaric artillery). They have some application for clearing tunnel systems or forcing defenders out of static defenses. They're demoralizing.

But what does that accomplish? Putin's military goal is the installation of a Belarus-style compliant puppet regime. Do you get that by gassing people? Ukraine is an agriculture powerhouse sitting on abundant natural resources. Do you poison that asset with nerve gas residue or radioactive fallout? I mean, hell, I covet my neighbor's house as much as the next guy, but if I burn it down trying to take it from him, what does that get me?

It's just mind boggling that anyone thinks chemical weapons will be used at this stage. What possible benefit would that be?

Chemical weapons can be exceedingly effective if you have the means for your own troops to deal with it, and it has a short useful life span on the battlefield.

Have your troops suit up, drop a few bombs, then most if not all of the resistance is wiped out and you can mop up what's left.

It really just depends on the chemicals.

But no, in the Ukrainian conflict this wouldn't achieve desirable results. Russia wants to hold SOME of that territory, and if they **** people off too much, then it won't be possible to govern that territory.

But for instance, if we got involved, dropping chemical weapons on poorly equipped Russian platoons would absolutely devastate them with little to no consequence for our own troops who will be issued equipment to properly protect themselves.

The main goal of chemical weapons is to not destroy the area but deny it to the enemy, or remove the enemy.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Saw last night Jesse Waters saying that some towns in Ukraine that Russia had have now been takin back over by Ukraine. Is the Russian military really this bad, seems to be. If we get Ukraine the stuff they need and they keep fighting like they are, how long does Putin stay....and how is he going to save face? Best thing for Russia right now is if Putin dies and a new leader emerges and says this was all Putins fault and pulls back troops. Sadly if Putin resorts to chemical weapons he won't care about his own troops, not one bit, and sadly I don't think Biden or anyone else would do anything about it....maybe get Peppermint Patty to circle around a few talking points.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Saw last night Jesse Waters saying that some towns in Ukraine that Russia had have now been takin back over by Ukraine. Is the Russian military really this bad, seems to be. If we get Ukraine the stuff they need and they keep fighting like they are, how long does Putin stay....and how is he going to save face? Best thing for Russia right now is if Putin dies and a new leader emerges and says this was all Putins fault and pulls back troops. Sadly if Putin resorts to chemical weapons he won't care about his own troops, not one bit, and sadly I don't think Biden or anyone else would do anything about it....maybe get Peppermint Patty to circle around a few talking points.
    Peppermint patty is dealing with the rona a second time in 6 months. Guess all her vaxs and bossters are ginger intolerant

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Russia is known for a scorched earth policy. They will level Ukraine if they have to leave. They will probably level it anyway if Ukraine doesn't give up.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not looking good... they are running out of forces to send in.

FOl8NZSWUAEp3nD

Keep sending the Ukrainians lawyers guns and money (and food)

They may indeed hand Russia hard conventional defeat that will take decades to recover from and remove them as a problem for decades. Its one thing to loose to an insurgency, its another WORSE thing to loose a conventional conflict.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

A blackpill take for the Russian side. Russia can surely grind their way to occupation of the country, but they would only face the best equipped insurgency on the planet with a motivation to fight almost equalling that of Islamists. It really is worth asking what their victory condition even looks like.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So during Trump's Presidency we placed tariffs on 549 types of imports from China,with the average of those being a 7.5%. Most of those expired Dec 31,2020. 352 of the 549 where continued though,and expired yesterday. While I SUPPORT the tariffs it is very bad timing to reinstate them again,which we just did. Of course it matters little at this point as the largest exporting port in China is shut down because of covid(*cough..cough...push back against the US calling for China to sanction Russia).

Seems land based trade is booming in China,and it just double the amount of natural gas it imported from Russia over last year( https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/china-bought-twice-much-russian-liquefied-natural-gas-february ) China is also still shipping by land to Russia as well(everything from kitchen sinks,composites,to ball bearings). India purchased more oil than in any prior week ever from Russia last week(at a discount below global spot price and paid in Euros,they are still negotiating on a peg for the Ruble and Rupee). Brazil flat ignored calls for sanctions against Russia,and Mexico is openly courting Russian companies to manufacture there(not joining sanctions either). Chile is the only south American country that has gone ahead with any sanctions against Russia.
    No African countries have joined sanctions( https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/03/world/africa/russia-ukraine-eritrea-africa.html ) No Middle east countries have joined sanctions. https://www.business-standard.com/a...n-from-sanctioning-russia-122031400175_1.html Only three Asian countries have joined sanctions.

France did join sanctions last week,but did not join them fully. It still wants to import as well(mentioned fertilizer need at the UN yesterday when asked why).
    I had no clue until this morning but Finland gets 94% of all oil and gas from Russia. Latvia 90%
    It is looking pretty bad globally for US foreign policy. China is of course sending out olive branches and loans to countries who are staying "neutral" increasing its ever growing influence especially in Africa and the middle east. Germany has stated it will not stop oil and gas imports from Russia as it would lead to a 5-7% drop in GDP and millions unemployed. They had a heated debate with Poland yesterday who wanted to cut the pipe line that runs through Poland,but is owned by Germany off.

or just another Thursday under the worst administration we have ever had. Just to be clear. I do not give two shits about Russia,Ukraine,the EU,or NATO. I care about the USA and what is being done is/has damaged and is damaging the US dollar and the USA internationally.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Dzhao Vladimir(the "Putin Advisor").

What I find most curious about the whole he "He left and resigned" thing is he left well before the war. He has homes in Denmark and Istanbul where he has spent most of his time in recent years.

What are you even talking about? The article I posted was about Anatoly Chubais.

According to Reuters, longtime advisor Anatoly Chubais has resigned from his post as the Kremlin’s special envoy and fled the country. While there have been others, he is the highest-profile person to do as Chubai has had a long storied history at the Kremlin. He once served as Boris Yeltsin’s chief of staff and would go on to be Putin’s special representative. In 2020 he was charged with “achieving goals of sustainable development.”

Reactions: KG1

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Im not sure with what with. Rumor is it was some sort of missile..

But Ukraine got a Russian Navy landing ship in Berdyansk. The landing ship Orsk, an Alligator-class landing ship.

This is a pretty BIG loss for the Russians

I was going to question the heavily burning ship being a landing ship but I can clearly see fire thru what appears to be doors on the bow. The one setting sail might also have smoke coming from near the bow. I have to wonder if this might be sabotage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom